Let's talk about this UV filter.

13 years 6 months ago #4124 by The Original Daisy
When I bought my camera I got sold a UV filter, told this was something I really needed. Answering another thread here reminded me that I have this. So when are you using your UV filter? Or was this a waste of money?

13 years 6 months ago #4127 by wildlightphoto
I haven't used a UV filter in at least 30 years, but they have their uses. If I were in a hazardous enviornment like blowing sand or sticky five-year-olds' fingers they can be useful. Many modern lenses have coatings or cements that block UV light so the value of the UV filter for removing unwanted UV light is minimal.

13 years 6 months ago #4128 by Yasko
I would agree, it's something you need on your lens, especially the pricey glass. Imagine you're hiking in the woods, taking photos when a sharp branch scrapes across the face of your lens. would you rather scratch a 10 dollar UV filter, or permanently scratch your 200 dollar lens? The added benefit, is once your UV filter is on you don't have to clean the front element, which over time could start rubbing off the coatings.

UV filters are a good investment. The only time I've ever taken my UV filters off is in those rare instances I'm shooting into the sun, as a UV filter can add a little unwanted flare. Otherwise, keep it on at all times. You can even stack another filter on top, as long as it doesn't start vignetteing your photos.

13 years 6 months ago #4130 by The Original Daisy
So I guess seeing that I have this thing it might not be a bad idea to install. Funny you talk about sticky 5 year old fingers! That happened no more than 3 weeks ago, except it was a 6 year old little girl. :blink:

13 years 6 months ago #4152 by JosephScha
I have a superzoom (FZ7) with a UV filter over the non-removable lens. I doubt it does anything for the images I shoot, but it is there to protect the lens. If that front element gets damaged, there's nothing to do but discard the whole camera.
I think I'd feel the same way about protecting an expensive removable lens.

13 years 6 months ago #4175 by CameraShy
I always recommend getting a good quality UV or skylight filter for each lens for the simple reason of protecting it. It's saved my lens on more than one occasion!

13 years 6 months ago #4992 by The Original Daisy

CameraShy wrote: I always recommend getting a good quality UV or skylight filter for each lens for the simple reason of protecting it. It's saved my lens on more than one occasion!

Is skylight another term used for UV filter?

13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #4997 by Screamin Scott
If a scratched lens ruined photos, then Mirror lenses would never get sold since they have a hunk of plastic in the middle of the front element. If you want to protect your lens, use lens caps & lens hoods. Also get insurance on your gear from your insurance company. I used to have a website bookmarked that showed a photo taken with a lens whose front element was cracked. The major impact was that the contrast of the photo suffered. Sadly it's no longer an active link.Additional glass surfaces will affect image quality. You may not be able to see it under most circumstances, but it's there. & it affects digital sensors more than it used to affect film. Think of these filters as a money maker for the industry as they really are not needed. Another thing to try to show you what I mean. get your camera & go to a window that has a screen on it. Focus to infinity & get up close to the window & the screen isn't even visible ! Marks on the rear element of the lens are another matter. Since it is closer to the sensor, marks there are much more likely to have an impact on the photo.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago #5076 by canon4me
I have ppl telling me that they use them all the time and some that don't....so it's your own choice : ) but your taking a chance of possibly scatching the lens.

13 years 5 months ago #5920 by CameraShy
Is skylight another term used for UV filter?[/quote]

A skylight filter is slightly different from a UV filter - it puts a slightly warmer tone on your pics.

Either skylight or UV are fairly cheap ways of providing a little extra insurance on your lens.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024