Just ordered a Lens Baby

13 years 5 months ago #4163 by Hamtastic
Any users here? A friend of mine has had one for about 5 months now and has been about to make some pretty cool photos. I guess I'm late to joining this band wagon, but excited about getting it.

BTW how long did it take you to figure out how to take photos with this lens?

Jeff

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago #4195 by Vladimir
Cool little gadget. There are a number of self help books on these lens and also some video.

Photo Comments
2 years 3 weeks ago #734966 by Stealthy Ninja
Holy thread necro Batman!
2 years 3 weeks ago #735007 by KENT MELTON
LOL haven't heard "Lens Baby" in forever!  I had one of these back in the day.  Dang, that was going down memory lane.  

Photo Comments
2 years 2 weeks ago #735175 by Mike McKinnon
What's the purpose of these lenses?  Can't the effect be done in post processing?  

2 years 2 weeks ago #735179 by r1ch

Mike McKinnon wrote: What's the purpose of these lenses?  Can't the effect be done in post processing?  

Some of the effects can be created in photoshop, some cannot. The idea is because the lens restricts you, you shoot in a different way than you normally would. The theory behind part of it anyway.
Can you do this in photoshop. I would say no or at least not easily and without a lot of work. I just took a snap with a lens baby that I bought recently.

2 years 2 weeks ago #735185 by r1ch

Hamtastic wrote: Any users here? A friend of mine has had one for about 5 months now and has been about to make some pretty cool photos. I guess I'm late to joining this band wagon, but excited about getting it.
BTW how long did it take you to figure out how to take photos with this lens?
Jeff

Depends which model you bought. If you bought the Composer pro II with a Sweet XXmm, Swirl XXmm or an Edge XXmm.
First, make sure the lens is straight and not tilted. Practice getting sharp images in that mode. Also don't shoot wide open at first, makes it difficult to focus and the lens is not that sharp wide open, for sharp images, stop down a bit.
After you get the hang of that, then tilt the lens only slightly up,down, left or right. Extreme tilting will result in soft image, there is a balance and you have to experiment, but it is easiest to get sharp images with less extremes.

2 years 2 weeks ago #735254 by Tim Kelley
Strictly artistic lenses right?  Or are there any professional applications for these? 

Photo Comments
2 years 2 weeks ago #735255 by r1ch

Tim Kelley wrote: Strictly artistic lenses right?  Or are there any professional applications for these? 

I would say mostly artistic but I do know pro wedding photographers use them (probably not as their primary lens.) For quick and dirty effects without a lot of photoshop work
www.google.com/search?q=lensbaby+wedding...chips:lensbaby+sweet

I have seen people sell images of close up photography such as flowers. I shot a flower with one once.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024