What ball head do you have?

13 years 5 months ago #4282 by Vladimir
Is the Manfrotto 488RC4 a good head?

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago #4285 by Martin
I have a Benro Tripod and ball head

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago #4437 by Travel Nut
I just ordered a Arca Swiss momoball Z. I will post my thoughts on this head as soon as I get to use it.

13 years 5 months ago #4451 by dclay
I did a lot of looking on the internet for ball head reviews and found expensive ones were great, cheep ones slipped so I settled for a mid range one. I purchased the Induro BHB2 Ballhead ($197.00) that is rated for a load of 39.6 Lbs. and weighs only 1.3 Lbs. It uses the universal Arca-Swiss style quick release plates so finding accessories is easy.

Once I took my Bogen 322RC2 off the tripod and replaced it with the Induro BHD2 I was amazed at how nice and smooth a ballhead is. I would recommend this for anyone who can not afford to buy top brands like Kirk, Arca-Swiss, Markins and Really Right Stuff.

13 years 5 months ago #4455 by ShadowWalker

dclay wrote: I did a lot of looking on the internet for ball head reviews and found expensive ones were great, cheep ones slipped so I settled for a mid range one. I purchased the Induro BHB2 Ballhead ($197.00) that is rated for a load of 39.6 Lbs. and weighs only 1.3 Lbs. It uses the universal Arca-Swiss style quick release plates so finding accessories is easy.

Once I took my Bogen 322RC2 off the tripod and replaced it with the Induro BHD2 I was amazed at how nice and smooth a ballhead is. I would recommend this for anyone who can not afford to buy top brands like Kirk, Arca-Swiss, Markins and Really Right Stuff.

I've seen your photos, nice work! Personally I'm after a Really Right Stuff ball head BH-40

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago #4665 by Yasko
I used Induro ballheads up intill a year ago, great quality for the price. Now I now use Acratech ballheads on my tripods, they're the best I've ever used!

13 years 5 months ago #4666 by Freshstart

Yasko wrote: I used Induro ballheads up intill a year ago, great quality for the price. Now I now use Acratech ballheads on my tripods, they're the best I've ever used!

Which one their Ultimate or GP?

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #4675 by Yasko
I have 2 ultimate ballheads, and the long lens head is on my wish list for shots of the birds this autumn.

Vladimir, I just looked at the ballhead you're considering, and it looks very nice, as is all Manfrotto gear. The most important thing I'd consider is if you're going to switch out lenses or camera bodies often while shooting, in which case be sure to get a ballhead that allows a quick-release plate. Keep plates attached to your lenses/camera bodies, to make change-ups quick and easy.

13 years 5 months ago #4686 by Freshstart

Yasko wrote: I have 2 ultimate ballheads, and the long lens head is on my wish list for shots of the birds this autumn.

Vladimir, I just looked at the ballhead you're considering, and it looks very nice, as is all Manfrotto gear. The most important thing I'd consider is if you're going to switch out lenses or camera bodies often while shooting, in which case be sure to get a ballhead that allows a quick-release plate. Keep plates attached to your lenses/camera bodies, to make change-ups quick and easy.

Now what is the difference in the long lens head that the ultimate's wont do? The weight restrictions?

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago #4689 by jimb
I have an inexpensive Induro ball head & it works great for my small zooms but I recently bought a 70-300 zoom & it slipped. I just purchased a Vanguard pistol grip ball head & I think that I will like it. It will take some getting used to but it is rock solid and holds up to 13 #s. There is a video review of it which is pretty informative as to its features at cameradojo.com. Jimb

13 years 5 months ago #4842 by bhowdy
+1 on agreement for the Acratech ballheads. I also have the Acratech Ultimate and really like it.
Acratech Ultimate

If you really want to be spoiled with a "long lens" head use the Wimberley II Gimbal head just one time! No ball head compares. Of course it is expensive.
Wimberley WH-200 Gimbal Head

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

13 years 5 months ago #4871 by Yasko
That Wimberly is nice! Art Wolfe approved too. Freshstart, correct in that while the ultimates can handle the really heavy lenses (8 lbs or more), they don't do it so steadily as the long lens heads.

13 years 5 months ago #4877 by Screamin Scott
I like keeping QR plates on my longer lenses, but my RRS "L" bracket stays mounted on my camera...Everyone should have one...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024