Someone explain this please difference of 8MP to 10MP to 13MP

13 years 5 months ago #4492 by PMurphy
How much difference is there between camera's with 8, 10, or even 13 MP. I'm shopping around for a new DSLR and trying to determine what I need and don't need.

thanks for the help.

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago #4525 by Tex
Someone will bounce through here and give a "technical" difference.

Mostly you should get what you need/can afford. The larger the image the larger files you will deal with. But the quality will depend on the actual sensor and then of course the lenses you use.

The size of the image doesn't always mean a better image, or even a larger final print.

The earlier DSLR bodies had small image sizes, but made good quality prints.

To put it into lay terms... a 10mp point and shoot will have no where near the quality of a 10mp DSLR... all because of the sensor.

I have printed good 11X14 prints with my older 6mp camera. And I usually crank my 12mp camera down to something more usable when I shoot sports, so I don't end up with a card full of huge files.

Go to a review site (dpreview) and read about the cameras you are interested in and make a decision based on that rather than image size.

13 years 5 months ago #4528 by jrjohns2
Agreed with Tex, and just to add, I think high ISO performance should be the selling point here. An 8 Mp with excellent ISO performance above, say 1200ISO, will make better enlargements in general than a 13Mp that is grainy over 400. And really, the amount of pixels should be an indicator of optimal sensor size (it is NOT though). If you look at cell phone cameras, are the pictures with 5Mp any better than the pictures taken at 2Mp? Most of the time if the sensor is the same size, more pixels = more noise. Id say for most enlargements, Id go with the camera that got better reviews based on image quality and high ISO performance.

13 years 5 months ago #4604 by The Original Daisy
Really good explanations, this helped me also.

13 years 5 months ago #4660 by Yasko
Great explanations here already. Without getting all techy and confusing you, I'll just to add to the already mentioned truth: The sensor size and performance matters much more than how much megapixel your camera can output. This is why even a point and shoot camera that's 8 years old with 2 megapixel makes a better quality picture than a cellphone that outputs at 10 megapixel.....It's the sensor that matters.

Go into any camera seller, and you usually see the megapixel amount being the most prominently displayed feature on the camera's tag. The reason for this is because the camera manufacturers understand the average consumer regards the megapixel as the most important factor of image quality when it really isn't. It's a hold-over from a decade ago, when digicameras had 1 megapixel or less. You can't make an enlargement bigger than 5x7 from this resolution, so the race was on to pack on much more megapixel so unpixelated unlargements were possible. Manufacturers realized people reacted very well to more megapixel, so the tradition carries on today.

To answer your specific question though, it depends on what kind of work you plan to do. If you expect to do lots of cropping and big enlargements like 24 x 36, I'd advise something 10 megapixel or larger. If you plan on doing lots of 4x6's, and the occasional 11x14 on your wall, 8 megapixel should be just fine.

Happy shopping:)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024