wedding question

9 years 10 months ago #45824 by Bubbles
I am attending a wedding in May and I was thing about bringing my camera to get some pictures mainly of the reception. I am not their "wedding photographer," I just wanted to get some shots. Is there any advice that you all could give to help with this event?

Do paid wedding photographers get upset if novices are there also shooting? Is there some sort of unwritten rule saying I should not be getting these pics?

I am not planning on getting any formal shots just candid reception pictures. Thanks for the the help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 10 months ago #45825 by Strelle685
Just about any wedding will have plenty of guests with cameras. Just be respectful of the hired pro photographer and you shouldn't have a problem.

9 years 10 months ago #45834 by Rob pix4u2
If you are unsure of stepping on toes just ask the Pro - most wedding pro's don't mind if you ask and I certainly didn't mind if someone asked even when I did the formal portraits if the could shoot but usually after I had finished my shots

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:

9 years 10 months ago #45856 by Nicole99
I can understand going and taking pictures like any other guest, but I wouldn't want to try to take shots that were on the professional level. That's just me, I want nothing to do with weddings.

9 years 10 months ago #45858 by Bubbles
I'm not going as a pro, I am far from a pro. I just want to get some of my own pictures.

9 years 10 months ago #45957 by toddphilip
Everyone has a camera and many wedding guests carry dslr cameras now, sometimes with hot shoe flashes and battery grips. Photographers have to live with it (or modify contracts to prohibit it!). I would only suggest you avoid the group during formal portraits between the ceremony and reception out of courtesy to the couple and their investment.

Take great pictures and share them quickly.

9 years 10 months ago #45963 by Shupp98

Rob pix4u2 wrote: If you are unsure of stepping on toes just ask the Pro - most wedding pro's don't mind if you ask and I certainly didn't mind if someone asked even when I did the formal portraits if the could shoot but usually after I had finished my shots

Was this picture taken at the wedding?

9 years 10 months ago #45979 by Solstar
Everyone takes pictures at weddings. As others have mentioned just be conscious of the fact the the paid photographer should have priority. I've had some shots messed up because of guests stepping in the get a shot at the wrong time (not too many thankfully).

9 years 10 months ago #46013 by jel-huck
I was asked to take photos at my nieces' wedding in Mexico. Upon viewing the photos later I found that several of the shots had the wedding group looking in different directions, obviously due to the fact that there were other family members who had cameras. If you are using a flash this can also be very distracting to the other photographer. On another note, I took photos at another wedding and they had hired a family friend for the prime photographer. I was nervous doing this but they said he wouldn't mind. As it turned out my shots are still being raved about on their facebook.

9 years 10 months ago #46016 by Baydream

Shupp98 wrote:

Rob pix4u2 wrote: If you are unsure of stepping on toes just ask the Pro - most wedding pro's don't mind if you ask and I certainly didn't mind if someone asked even when I did the formal portraits if the could shoot but usually after I had finished my shots

Was this picture taken at the wedding?

I agree. I have asked the "pro" and been pleasantly surprised at their reaction.
The reception is another story and it's usually a free-for -all with disposable cameras supplied.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

9 years 10 months ago #46020 by photobod
Most pro photographers expect it, I have never minded so long as they dont get in my way, during the formals I always invite the guests to take a shot if they would like too, this generaly stops the problem of your group looking in every direction, its only when I take the bride and groom off to do the specials that I object to anyone tagging on. :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Ricoh GR III is a little-known compact camera that might be just the ticket for you if you want a small, portable, and easy-to-use camera.

Feb 19, 2021

The Sony a7S III is a video-first full frame camera with a hefty price tag. Is it worth the price of admission? Get all the details in this Sony a7S III review.

Feb 18, 2021

In this Nikon Z7 II review learn how this new camera is similar to the original Z7 and how it makes improvements upon the original.

Feb 16, 2021

The Sony Cybershot DSC-RX10 III is a highly capable, video-first bridge camera. The question is, is it right for you? Get all the details in this Sony Cybershot DSC-RX10 III review!

Feb 12, 2021
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

If a photography tripod is too cumbersome for you, you can learn how to stabilize a camera with any number of tripod substitutes.

Feb 22, 2021

Use this real estate photography gear list to learn about some of the most critical pieces of kit you need to take the highest-quality real estate photos.

Feb 22, 2021

If you aren't sure how to get feedback from clients, check out these simple solutions for your photography business.

Feb 19, 2021

The Ricoh GR III is a little-known compact camera that might be just the ticket for you if you want a small, portable, and easy-to-use camera.

Feb 19, 2021

Drop shipping your printed photos can save you time and money. But there are cons to consider as well. Get all the details in this guide to drop shipping for photography businesses.

Feb 19, 2021

The Sony a7S III is a video-first full frame camera with a hefty price tag. Is it worth the price of admission? Get all the details in this Sony a7S III review.

Feb 18, 2021

Use these real estate photography tips to learn why taking high-quality real estate photos is so important for selling properties.

Feb 18, 2021

Not sure what a follow focus system is? In this tutorial, learn how to use a follow focus system and why you might want want for your video productions.

Feb 18, 2021