wedding question

12 years 11 months ago #45824 by Bubbles
I am attending a wedding in May and I was thing about bringing my camera to get some pictures mainly of the reception. I am not their "wedding photographer," I just wanted to get some shots. Is there any advice that you all could give to help with this event?

Do paid wedding photographers get upset if novices are there also shooting? Is there some sort of unwritten rule saying I should not be getting these pics?

I am not planning on getting any formal shots just candid reception pictures. Thanks for the the help.

12 years 11 months ago #45825 by Strelle685
Just about any wedding will have plenty of guests with cameras. Just be respectful of the hired pro photographer and you shouldn't have a problem.

12 years 11 months ago #45834 by Rob pix4u2
If you are unsure of stepping on toes just ask the Pro - most wedding pro's don't mind if you ask and I certainly didn't mind if someone asked even when I did the formal portraits if the could shoot but usually after I had finished my shots

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
12 years 11 months ago #45856 by Nicole99
I can understand going and taking pictures like any other guest, but I wouldn't want to try to take shots that were on the professional level. That's just me, I want nothing to do with weddings.

12 years 11 months ago #45858 by Bubbles
I'm not going as a pro, I am far from a pro. I just want to get some of my own pictures.

12 years 11 months ago #45957 by toddphilip
Everyone has a camera and many wedding guests carry dslr cameras now, sometimes with hot shoe flashes and battery grips. Photographers have to live with it (or modify contracts to prohibit it!). I would only suggest you avoid the group during formal portraits between the ceremony and reception out of courtesy to the couple and their investment.

Take great pictures and share them quickly.

12 years 11 months ago #45963 by Shupp98

Rob pix4u2 wrote: If you are unsure of stepping on toes just ask the Pro - most wedding pro's don't mind if you ask and I certainly didn't mind if someone asked even when I did the formal portraits if the could shoot but usually after I had finished my shots

Was this picture taken at the wedding?

12 years 11 months ago #45979 by Solstar
Everyone takes pictures at weddings. As others have mentioned just be conscious of the fact the the paid photographer should have priority. I've had some shots messed up because of guests stepping in the get a shot at the wrong time (not too many thankfully).

12 years 11 months ago #46013 by jel-huck
I was asked to take photos at my nieces' wedding in Mexico. Upon viewing the photos later I found that several of the shots had the wedding group looking in different directions, obviously due to the fact that there were other family members who had cameras. If you are using a flash this can also be very distracting to the other photographer. On another note, I took photos at another wedding and they had hired a family friend for the prime photographer. I was nervous doing this but they said he wouldn't mind. As it turned out my shots are still being raved about on their facebook.

12 years 11 months ago #46016 by Baydream

Shupp98 wrote:

Rob pix4u2 wrote: If you are unsure of stepping on toes just ask the Pro - most wedding pro's don't mind if you ask and I certainly didn't mind if someone asked even when I did the formal portraits if the could shoot but usually after I had finished my shots

Was this picture taken at the wedding?

I agree. I have asked the "pro" and been pleasantly surprised at their reaction.
The reception is another story and it's usually a free-for -all with disposable cameras supplied.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #46020 by photobod
Most pro photographers expect it, I have never minded so long as they dont get in my way, during the formals I always invite the guests to take a shot if they would like too, this generaly stops the problem of your group looking in every direction, its only when I take the bride and groom off to do the specials that I object to anyone tagging on. :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024

A small camera backpack is the perfect vessel for carrying your photography kit. The problem is there’s so many to choose from! Use this guide for details on three top choices.

Apr 04, 2024