Need some help: Crop sensor vs full frame sensor

13 years 5 months ago #5139 by NikkiG
I'm not getting this. I was on the phone with camera shop this morning and the guy was telling me about full frame and crop sensors that Nikon has a crop sensor of 1.5 and Canon was 1.4 (I think these were the figures). I have been shopping around for a new DSLR and now this semi confused me. What does it mean that a Canon has a crop sensor of 1.4? What does that mean to me?

Thank you

13 years 5 months ago #5142 by Solstar
Nikki, this refers to the size of the sensor in relation to a 35mm film slide. Full size sensors are the same size as a fill slide while the crop sensors are smaller. The smaller sensor size means that when you attach a lens you are only using the center portion of the image that in projects into the camera. The result is that lenses seemed to be zoomed in (often called a multiplier effect) more than with 35mm or full size sensors. For example a 50mm lens will be more like an 80mm lens on canons rebel or XXd series cameras which have a 1.6 times multiplier effect. To my knowledge canon has the sensor sizes ranging from full size, 1.3x and 1.6. I would need some help from the rest of the forum on other camera brands.
Full size sensors provide higher quality images (and proper focal length) and usually come with a price tag to match. Crop sensors are very wide spread and still provide excellent image quality. Which you choose may depend on your budget and lenses.
Since it seems you are starting out, my suggestion might be to look for a used crop camera to learn on and spend the extra money on quality lenses that you will have (and want!) for much longer. Once you know the relative pros and cons of the camera you get you can upgrade to one that fits your new needs.

13 years 5 months ago #5149 by Screamin Scott
Solstar pretty much expalined the difference between crop & full frame sensors. If you never shot film with an SLR, yeah, it can be confusing. Nikon's crop cameras are 1.5X . Olympus cameras are 2X. Here is a link to a Nikon website that expains focal length & angle of view in eaasier to understand terms. I have another Nikon site bookmarked on my home computer that has a visual representation of the view of different camera/lens combos but I'm at work. I'll try to find it later & post it.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago #5152 by NikkiG

Solstar wrote: Nikki, this refers to the size of the sensor in relation to a 35mm film slide. Full size sensors are the same size as a fill slide while the crop sensors are smaller. The smaller sensor size means that when you attach a lens you are only using the center portion of the image that in projects into the camera. The result is that lenses seemed to be zoomed in (often called a multiplier effect) more than with 35mm or full size sensors. For example a 50mm lens will be more like an 80mm lens on canons rebel or XXd series cameras which have a 1.6 times multiplier effect. To my knowledge canon has the sensor sizes ranging from full size, 1.3x and 1.6. I would need some help from the rest of the forum on other camera brands.
Full size sensors provide higher quality images (and proper focal length) and usually come with a price tag to match. Crop sensors are very wide spread and still provide excellent image quality. Which you choose may depend on your budget and lenses.
Since it seems you are starting out, my suggestion might be to look for a used crop camera to learn on and spend the extra money on quality lenses that you will have (and want!) for much longer. Once you know the relative pros and cons of the camera you get you can upgrade to one that fits your new needs.

That really helped out, it was confusing me when I first heard this, so your information did help. Thank you

13 years 5 months ago #5153 by NikkiG

Screamin Scott wrote: Solstar pretty much expalined the difference between crop & full frame sensors. If you never shot film with an SLR, yeah, it can be confusing. Nikon's crop cameras are 1.5X . Olympus cameras are 2X. Here is a link to a Nikon website that expains focal length & angle of view in eaasier to understand terms. I have another Nikon site bookmarked on my home computer that has a visual representation of the view of different camera/lens combos but I'm at work. I'll try to find it later & post it.

Thank you also and yes if you come across that link please post it, I would like to read it.

13 years 5 months ago #6240 by Man Of Mystery
If you are new to DSLR's chances are a full frame camera may be a bit over kill for what you need. Most I think would recommend going with a good entry to mid level camera for starting out. And these cameras also happen to have a crop sensor.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024