how did you get into photography

13 years 4 months ago #5566 by runningrebel10
What made you want to get into photography? For me it was being able to capture a priceless moment in time for someone to always remember even after the subject may have passed on

13 years 4 months ago #5573 by The Original Daisy
My father was a photographer or you can say it was one of his favorite hobbies.

13 years 4 months ago #5575 by Simon Says
I've always had a interest in camera's. I think I even have some old Polaroid, 110, and 35mm camera's in a box in the garage. I should dig them out one of these days and see if they are worth any money.

13 years 4 months ago #5577 by Solstar
For me it was finally finding an venue where I could ACTUALLY get the image out of my head and be able to share it. Painting, sculpting etc proved far too frustrating, where as with photography (and digital especially!) I was able to execute my visions or at least find out why I couldn't.

13 years 4 months ago #5581 by Moe
Most people I know had some sort of interest in photography, so it was always around me!

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #5586 by Screamin Scott
Started with taking photos of friends & co-workers with an old Polaroid Land Camera back in 1968. Got a Minolta SRT101 SLR camera the next year so as to be able to have more choices...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #5587 by Billy 9

Screamin Scott wrote: Started with taking photos of friends & co-workers with an old Polaroid Land Camera back in 1968. Got a Minolta SRT101 SLR camera the next year so as to be able to have more choices...

Are you a professional photographer?

13 years 4 months ago #5589 by Screamin Scott
By choice, no, although I've sold prints, done some commercial shoots, have also done some weddings (don't like them), Little League photos (enjoyed a lot) & some portraits. Right now I'm awaiting a response from an Art Buyer for a publishing company to get back to me on using some of my images on greeting cards. I'm not into having Photography as my sole source of income as then it becomes less fun & more like work...Plus by working for a larger company, the side benefits like Medical & Dental insurance come with the job instead of paying out the nose for individual policies like when you are self employed.

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #5590 by Billy 9

Screamin Scott wrote: By choice, no, although I've sold prints, done some commercial shoots, have also done some weddings (don't like them), Little League photos (enjoyed a lot) & some portraits. Right now I'm awaiting a response from an Art Buyer for a publishing company to get back to me on using some of my images on greeting cards. I'm not into having Photography as my sole source of income as then it becomes less fun & more like work...Plus by working for a larger company, the side benefits like Medical & Dental insurance come with the job instead of paying out the nose for individual policies like when you are self employed.

Understood. I thought wedding photography was fun to do with good money?

13 years 4 months ago #5605 by Jeffster
I would say, it just happened. I have always owned a camera. I'm no pro, but love playing around with a camera!

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #5606 by Screamin Scott
I didn't like the "Bridezilla's" & their mothers who always wanted to tell you how to do your work...Made it too much like "work" & less like "fun"...Don't get me wrong, it is a lucrative field & there is much money to be made,but there is also a lot more competition nowadays. Besides being a photographer, you need a lot of business savvy in order to be successful.

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #5764 by ArtWagner
Wife is into photography, so it turned into a fun hobby for both of us.

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #6324 by deewun
In the days when orders were orders and to be obeyed at all times without question, I was directed to become a Photographer and Crime Scene Examiner, in a British police force. My previous experience in photography had been with a box camera! The six weeks course at New Scotland Yard gave me the basis of what has sustained me through my professional and personal life. Strange what unknown opportunities lay in wait for us.

13 years 4 months ago #6434 by mwells74
Well, I always liked taking pictures but I didn't get "serious" *snicker* until I was trying to shoot my kids in soccer. The little Digital camera with the HUGE delay was driving me nuts, so I purchased Canon XT and have been working on getting better ever since.:)

13 years 4 months ago #6449 by KVRNut
Have always had cameras around me of one type or another and still have some of my parent's 160 cameras that I use on occasion. Re-rolling the film and finding spools can be a pain sometimes but it's worth the effort. Think the first camera I took a picture with was either a Brownie Box or a Kodak Tourist II almost 50 years ago.
Guess what got me seriously into photography was the desire to share the memories of the things I've seen and the places that are special to me. Picked up a Canon TX, went from there and started learning. The challenge of photography was another draw. Being able to touch someone with a picture is a great reward. Since then, it's been a helluva fun ride.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024