how did you get into photography

13 years 4 months ago #6453 by BayouBelle
I've enjoyed taking photographs since I was very young and I was a tom-boy and nature lover to the fullest. About five years ago I put the two together and became a wildlife and nature photographer. I opened my own business and web site, www.bayoubellephotography.com . I enjoy being out there in the natural habitat of wildlife and studying their habits. During that time I usually see and capture some awesome moments that is not normally seen by many. I also enjoy photographing sunrises and sunsets and utilizing natural light in my landscapes. I sell my work at exhibits, craft shows, and art galleries, but keep it as a hobby type business and do not rely on sales for income. That way I can enjoy taking the photographs as they come and am not pressured to produce something spectacular on demand... I feel the best photographs are taken when the image is not forced or propped with unnatural things in the photograph.

I also like abstract art and I dabble in oil painting, watercolor, acrylic and sculpting too. Sometimes just getting my hands in clay and forming something from the earth's substance does wonders for my soul. Stress is relieved when I paint cause I don't have to show it to anyone and it's relaxing to me. But ultimately, photography is my first love. It's awesome to know that one photograph is so beautiful that it can make someone cry. I didn't know how to react to that emotion from this person, but felt good that I brought joy to her at that particular moment. And I sold that photograph...

~Darlene~

13 years 3 months ago #7819 by Gump
Like many of you, I have always "owned" a camera. So it might not have been a professional camera, but it was a camera. Then my interest just shifted to wanting to get more into photography. As I get older, I guess I was looking for a new hobby!

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #7820 by FMVPhotography
From my website -

I can remember quite clearly when my interest in photography went from a passing one to an avid one. My Mother had just passed away in April 2008 and I was trying to find some good pictures for a collage board that I was making for the wake. There were hundreds of albums of holidays and events spanning back for the previous 23 years - yet it was the various drawers of loose photographs that I found the most interesting. Photographs perhaps, that hadn't passed Mums strict screening process - yet to me they captured her personality better than any posed family portrait ever could.

In one particular picture Mum was on holiday, sitting on a beach, with a cigarette hanging from her mouth (a habit that she had given up many years before) yet I suddenly had a vivid memory of a time when she did smoke and was immediately transported back there. I'm sure that she would have been horrified at the inclusion of this picture, but I loved it!

It was here that it dawned on me how incredibly important photographs can be. From helping to remember a loved one who is no longer with us to capturing that single special moment in time that may never be recreated again. Granted, many before me have had this epiphany and I'm sure many more will after me, yet following this event I suddenly felt lost without my camera within reach at all times.

I guess I didn't know the difference then, between taking a photo and making a photo - that didn't come until much later!!

13 years 3 months ago #9058 by ArtWagner

FMVPhotography wrote: From my website -

I can remember quite clearly when my interest in photography went from a passing one to an avid one. My Mother had just passed away in April 2008 and I was trying to find some good pictures for a collage board that I was making for the wake. There were hundreds of albums of holidays and events spanning back for the previous 23 years - yet it was the various drawers of loose photographs that I found the most interesting. Photographs perhaps, that hadn't passed Mums strict screening process - yet to me they captured her personality better than any posed family portrait ever could.

In one particular picture Mum was on holiday, sitting on a beach, with a cigarette hanging from her mouth (a habit that she had given up many years before) yet I suddenly had a vivid memory of a time when she did smoke and was immediately transported back there. I'm sure that she would have been horrified at the inclusion of this picture, but I loved it!

It was here that it dawned on me how incredibly important photographs can be. From helping to remember a loved one who is no longer with us to capturing that single special moment in time that may never be recreated again. Granted, many before me have had this epiphany and I'm sure many more will after me, yet following this event I suddenly felt lost without my camera within reach at all times.

I guess I didn't know the difference then, between taking a photo and making a photo - that didn't come until much later!!

Well your photos speak for themselves, good thing you kept with it!

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: FMVPhotography
13 years 3 months ago #9078 by FMVPhotography
Thank you ArtWagner - I guess I don't realise how personal it is to me until someone asks.... Just a shame she couldn't have seen how far I've come - I'm sure she would have been proud :)

13 years 3 months ago #9234 by Meggy_Meg
My new husband loves to hike all over the country and we take off every chance we get. I thought taking a camera along to capture everything new and exciting we see was a must, so I've been teaching myself for about 2 years now.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024