Do you think photographers go over board with Photoshop these days?

12 years 10 months ago #91707 by Karl Wertanen
In landscape photography, to me, less is more. If you did work to the photograph and i cant tell that you did any work to the photograph, you did a good job (IMHO).
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #91743 by MLKstudios
Photography is both a science and an art (among other things). I've seen some very fine PS work done to photographs with an artist's hand.

In the film days, they called themselves "straight photographers" that didn't manipulate a print. But, as HP pointed out, they really did when they first framed the shot. One of the group is Ansel Adams, who did a lot of dodging and burning. He even had multiple lights in the enlarger to control different areas of the print.

In the digital realm, you can pick a CMOS or CCD type sensor. I remember online arguments on whether you can tell the difference between an image made with a Nikon compared to a Canon. At one time Nikon used mostly CCD's and Canon used CMOS chips. As soon as you press the shutter button, image manipulation occurs. And not just in the chip, but in the camera's processor as well. The colors are applied to each photosite, a "gamma" is applied and a lot more is being done to YOUR picture.

Even if you shoot RAW, these are standard things done to the image.

As you see, there is image manipulation BEFORE you get to Ps. Whether you think it is too much, is purely a matter of taste.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 10 months ago #91837 by Scotty

MLKstudios wrote: Photography is both a science and an art (among other things). I've seen some very fine PS work done to photographs with an artist's hand.

In the film days, they called themselves "straight photographers" that didn't manipulate a print. But, as HP pointed out, they really did when they first framed the shot. One of the group is Ansel Adams, who did a lot of dodging and burning. He even had multiple lights in the enlarger to control different areas of the print.

In the digital realm, you can pick a CMOS or CCD type sensor. I remember online arguments on whether you can tell the difference between an image made with a Nikon compared to a Canon. At one time Nikon used mostly CCD's. As soon as you press the shutter button, image manipulation occurs. And not just in the chip, but in the camera's processor as well. The colors are applied to each photosite, a "gamma" is applied and a lot more is being done to YOUR picture.

Even if you shoot RAW, there are standard things done to the image.

As you see, there is image manipulation BEFORE you get to Ps. Whether you think it is too much, is purely a matter of taste.

Matthew :)

Agreed...theres no such as "natural" photography. You're either using chemicals, mechanical devices, or software.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #91889 by MLKstudios
Is this "too much"?

lockerz.com/s/111989483

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 10 months ago #92121 by 1Sundance
Most "photographers" in this digital age of photography have little or no knowledge of the history of photography. I agree that Photoshop as a tool has been abused by those who wanted to make their poorly exposed captures look better (good luck), but it also has enhanced the avenues for creativity. In the early days of photography, it was evolving to become accepted as an art form. The evolution of capture and printing from the Daguerreotype to film had changed very little until the digital age. In that timeline there were Gumbichromate prints. Demachy as an example of an early photographer who went beyond the norm to create something different from anyone else. Talbot was another. In the modern day, jerry uelsmann did combination printing 30 years before Photoshop was even a twinkle of a thought. I could name many more. Photoshop in nothing more than a tool. Given to the hands of someone who knows how to use the tool, it offers great results. Given to someone who is clueless of how it works, well, enough said.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Henry Peach
12 years 10 months ago #92131 by MLKstudios
Well said new guy. And I like your hat.

:)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 10 months ago #92233 by Scotty

MLKstudios wrote: Is this "too much"?

lockerz.com/s/111989483

nah i just think its hideous

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #92319 by mj~shutterbugg

Scotty wrote:

MLKstudios wrote: Is this "too much"?

lockerz.com/s/111989483

nah i just think its hideous

:goodpost: :agree: I think these are the classic examples of a photographer trying to SAVE something that shouldn't be saved. That's just my humble opinion.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 10 months ago #92399 by MLKstudios
That was made by JPC who also did these:

www.johnpaulcaponigro.com/gallery/scroll.php

Like a few Nat Geo photogs, they are working with an iPhone and the apps that you can get for it. In other words, an image taken, "manipulated" and print ready on the spot with an iPhone.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 10 months ago #92567 by Stealthy Ninja

Do you think photographers go over board with Photoshop these days?

Define "photographers" and "go over board".

The answer is most likely yes, because obvious there are "photographers" who will "go over board".
12 years 10 months ago #92585 by Scotty

MLKstudios wrote: That was made by JPC who also did these:

www.johnpaulcaponigro.com/gallery/scroll.php

Like a few Nat Geo photogs, they are working with an iPhone and the apps that you can get for it. In other words, an image taken, "manipulated" and print ready on the spot with an iPhone.

It's still hideous.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #153874 by KevinA65
Hey everyone,
Far be it me to judge or degrade anyones art work. There are times when a photographer can go overboard, I do it myself. I sometimes like to hear the envelope rip as I push at its sides. Then are times when I say .......I will leave well enough alone, it looks fine. "Artist" have there way of expressing themselves , this is just another way of letting there emotions be felt ........So with all of my BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH, Yes and No .. It can be used to extremes or not enough, or, Hit that Sweet spot !
Just my two cents,

Be safe Be Well
12 years 6 months ago #153883 by euphoria
The problem I have is when a photo is doctored so much that it can no longer be called a photo any longer and needs to be called an Illustration.

Trying to pass off photos that has been edited, composite, and manipulated in a way that no longer represents what was there or what it looked like when the photo was taken becomes a bit much.

I am all for tweaking a photo to make a photo represent what the photographer saw when taking the pic but come on...

12 years 6 months ago #153884 by Stealthy Ninja
I guess Alex posted this on Facebook again.

Welcome Facebook people! Stick around!
12 years 6 months ago #153886 by Scotty

euphoria wrote: The problem I have is when a photo is doctored so much that it can no longer be called a photo any longer and needs to be called an Illustration.

Trying to pass off photos that has been edited, composite, and manipulated in a way that no longer represents what was there or what it looked like when the photo was taken becomes a bit much.

I am all for tweaking a photo to make a photo represent what the photographer saw when taking the pic but come on...

Really depends on the application.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024