Do you think photographers go over board with Photoshop these days?

12 years 3 months ago #191297 by Gary Trent photography
Here's an album full of Photo Shop.
There's not one image in it that would be worthy of
enlarging, framing, let alone trying to sell.

Photo Shop is fun. Sales are encouraging.

GT . . . . :cheers:

whazit2u.multiply.com/photos/album/15

GaryTrent photography (Canada)

Owner of
Art Effects Gallery,
Grand Forks, B.C. Canada

Please visit me on Multiply:
whazit2u.multiply.com/

12 years 3 months ago #191353 by Joves

Gary Trent photography wrote: Here's an album full of Photo Shop.

:agree:
And for many of them even if they were not abstract.

12 years 3 months ago #191364 by ThatNikonGuy
Photoshop is just another important tool for a photographer to maximize results

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #191403 by Stealthy Ninja

Gary Trent photography wrote: ADRIAN says:
"Yeh, just because you don't know how to create art in Photoshop don't put others down that do. Your boring photos are that way because, frankly, you don't know how to make them better."

Me: My "boring photos" grossed me some $10,000 last year.
In sales, reality is what sells.
Most all customers want framed images on their walls that are
recognizable and something they can relate to.
That's where the money is (if one is so inclined to sell photo'y)

If images are just going to sit in my computer, then I will
PS to my hearts content, but they will never sell off my gallery walls.
I've tried and it's simply a no-go unless your (maybe) in New York city.

I am NOT .... "putting others down that do." .... not at all.
PS is a very creative tool, yet it's just some photo-artists who
really know how to use the program, creatively.
It's those who I admire the most.

Just saying . . . . . . :cheers:

Just because I posted right after you doesn't mean I was accusing you of anything. I was just making a general statement.

I looked at your gallery and you do exactly what I'm saying. Make art out of (boring) RAW photos. With minor adjustments. Not once did I say anything about unrealistic HDR etc. I said "art". Doing major adjustments and making them look natural is "art" in my definition, not just adding a bunch of "art" effects in PS. I never touch those effects, they look crap.

Sorry if you took this as an attack on you. I just posted after you is all.

BTW you don't need to hit return all the time, the forum will automatically format your posts. :)

Henry Peach wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: ...you don't know how to make them better.

In my college Photo 101 class, which was all film and years before digital, the professor taught that "99% of photographs can be improved in the darkroom".

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." -Ansel Adams

Precisely. What is PS other than the modern version of the darkroom. You can mess up a photo in either.
12 years 3 months ago #191405 by Stealthy Ninja

Gary Trent photography wrote: Here's an album full of Photo Shop.

See I don't call that "photoshop" I call that ruining a picture with filters. :whistle:

:rofl:
12 years 3 months ago #191448 by Joves

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Henry Peach wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: ...you don't know how to make them better.

In my college Photo 101 class, which was all film and years before digital, the professor taught that "99% of photographs can be improved in the darkroom".

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." -Ansel Adams

Precisely. What is PS other than the modern version of the darkroom. You can mess up a photo in either.

Exactly! And just like in a darkroom you can either make the photo or turn it into pure rubbish. Most of the over done shots I see are no longer photographs. Now there are some people who do very interesting work but they a few and far between. The majority of what I see is people trying to make either bad photos or bad content interesting. In which case they fail.

12 years 3 months ago #191455 by mj~shutterbugg
Less is more. Simple as that. I am not a skilled photoshopper, which the Ninja pointed out in another post, and I am ok with that. If I screw the photo up at capture I tend to leave it in the recycle in. I would like to be better, but find myself more drawn to natural appearing photos. Again- that's me.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #201867 by GA Joe
I don't use Photoshop at the moment, although I use Canon's own software to tweak things like white balance and contrast, and to make B&W shots. I tried Photoshop once, realised I had to learn how, but also that I need to learn to take good photos first. I think Photoshop is a tool to use to make something interesting of good photographs, but that that natural photos are the place to start.

Having said that I have made some pictures I like out of photos that did not turn out well (using simple but rather unsubtle effects in Paint Shop Pro), I just don't want that to be where I take my photography at the moment.

12 years 2 months ago #201924 by bdphotodesign
I'm discouraged about all the time spent in photoshopping images. I used to win awards in my camera club then...the manipulation of images became the norm. Now I'm lucky if I get an award at all. I'm a good photographer and not necessarily a photoshop guru. The judges are used to seeing pumped up images now and that's what they expect. So many times I've heard- if this could be redone using HDR you'd have a great image. Enough already!

BettyD
12 years 2 months ago #201928 by heavensentimages
yes i do. i think photography should be just that, natural, with maybe a little lighting adjustments. with all of these changes, adding people in images that weren't there to being with, clearing out the back ground, that takes the work out of it. i'll stick to my natural and look for a good background and if the lighting needs some adjustment i'll take care of that but thats it. making images into abstract, why not just paint something abstract?

this images is all natural except for a little help with contrast and it is a beautiful image

All photos herein © Bunny Pratt. All use is prohibited without written consent. ♥
Please do not tag or share any images. Thank you ♥
HeavenSentImages

Attachments:
12 years 2 months ago #201929 by heavensentimages
i agree with bdphotodesign- i have photoshop and couldn't tell you the first think about using it. it's crazy, how is this photography? its maniputation

All photos herein © Bunny Pratt. All use is prohibited without written consent. ♥
Please do not tag or share any images. Thank you ♥
HeavenSentImages

12 years 2 months ago #201957 by Scotty

heavensentimages wrote: yes i do. i think photography should be just that, natural, with maybe a little lighting adjustments. with all of these changes, adding people in images that weren't there to being with, clearing out the back ground, that takes the work out of it. i'll stick to my natural and look for a good background and if the lighting needs some adjustment i'll take care of that but thats it. making images into abstract, why not just paint something abstract?

this images is all natural except for a little help with contrast and it is a beautiful image

It's not natural. You're using a mechanized device to replicate something that is different from what your eye renders. There is NOTHING natural about photography. It's emulation.

If you don't want to edit your shots, that's fine. Nobody's forcing you. But you're only doing a small portion of photography and you're missing out.

Photoshop made the art more competitive and raised the bar. Either bend with the wind or break.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #201967 by Rob pix4u2
sometimes I just like to have fun with an image out of the hundreds that I take- for example this one

no it isn't reality but I always liked coloring with the bright crayons and as Scotty and Adrian said it's about ART as opposed to reality which is my next example

So if I manipulate an image to make the ice white or whatever it's still altered , just not out of bounds

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024