Looking for best priced macro lens for Canon Rebel

13 years 5 months ago #5760 by ArtWagner
Let me first say I'm on a budget, and a limited one at that. Is there any options for a macro lens under $400 that will work with my Canon Rebel?

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago #5781 by Yasko
A good choice is the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM. It's sharp, fast focusing, and compact to match your rebel. Most places sell it new for around $390. It's tested here and user reviews are very positive:

www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/138/cat/all

I use the sigma 70mm f2.8 EX macro myself, it's also under $400. The focus is a bit slower, and not internal, but it's the sharpest most contrasty macro I've ever had the pleasure of using.

13 years 5 months ago #5840 by Sam
if you trust these sites..look into amazon or even craigslist

13 years 5 months ago #5854 by ArtWagner

Yasko wrote: A good choice is the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM. It's sharp, fast focusing, and compact to match your rebel. Most places sell it new for around $390. It's tested here and user reviews are very positive:

www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/138/cat/all

I use the sigma 70mm f2.8 EX macro myself, it's also under $400. The focus is a bit slower, and not internal, but it's the sharpest most contrasty macro I've ever had the pleasure of using.

Good stuff, now can extension tubes be used with those lenses?

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago #5951 by Yasko
Yes, you sure can. It's important to get tubes with electronic contacts so your lens can still communicate with your camera body. Happy shopping

13 years 5 months ago #5954 by waynescook
Try the following:

CanonImported

Wide Angle EF 24mm f/2.8 Autofocus Lens
B&H # CA2428EF Mfr # 2506A002
In Stock
$319.95 @ www.bhphotovideo.com

CanonImported

EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus Lens (White Box)
Zoom Wide Angle - Telephoto
B&H # CA2813535ISW Mfr # CA2813535IS
In Stock
$379.95 @ www.bhphotovideo.com

CanonImported

EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (White Box)
Wide Zoom Range (29-216mm equiv) Optical Image Stabilization Light and Compact Design EF-S Mount for APS-C Format EOS Cameras
B&H # CA18135EFSWB Mfr # 3558B002

In Stock
$369.95 @ www.bhphotovideo.com

If you need additional suggestions, from other vendors, let me know. The first, above, was an excellent fit for your described needs, so I did not look any further before replying.

Good luck,
WCBIRDNLANDSC

13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #5962 by bhowdy
My personal opinion is that if you start with a 60mm macro lens (which is a good lens) you eventually will want a longer macro lens. You can find many good used Canon 100mm f/2.8 lenses on the market, now that the newer model is out. The used 100mm macros are typically listed for around $400.00.

Here's a link to a forum that has a buy/sell section (100mm macro lens search)
POTN Forum Search

Here's a link to the KEH used offerings
KEH 100mm Macro Listings

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

13 years 5 months ago #6714 by ArtWagner

bhowdy wrote: My personal opinion is that if you start with a 60mm macro lens (which is a good lens) you eventually will want a longer macro lens. You can find many good used Canon 100mm f/2.8 lenses on the market, now that the newer model is out. The used 100mm macros are typically listed for around $400.00.

Here's a link to the KEH used offerings
KEH 100mm Macro Listings

Thank you. I think I found what I was after with KEH. Thanks for the help. ;)

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024