Anyone shoot both digital and film SLR?

13 years 5 months ago #5981 by Oscar Cohen
I'm just looking at this Nikon F100 and it has me thinking about getting a film camera. Not sure, but just looking and kind of curious how many digital photographers shoot also with a traditional film based camera too?

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago #5988 by Screamin Scott
I'm in that camp,although my film shooting has dwindled measurably...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago #5993 by HawaiiGuy
I have a film camera, but I haven't used it in years!

13 years 5 months ago #5994 by ECCO
I have the F100, love it, use it along with my Nikon D300, still like the results of film. But I must admit, instant gratification has won me over.

13 years 5 months ago #6005 by Monster
Just digital for me these days

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago #6020 by flyingv
I still use both, I think that you get different results form each. But I agree that being able to see your photo instantly is very nice. :)

13 years 5 months ago #6057 by Gil
I shoot Konica and Minolta MF cameras (not Konica Minolta) and a neighbor has given me their Nikon MF gear. I also have 5 Canon dSLR and a boat load of digital equipment. I find film shooting refreshing and a relearning experience which causes me to shoot more carefully when using digital.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ECCO
13 years 5 months ago #6086 by Yasko
I haven't shot film in 2 years now, but Kodak has re-released Ektar print film again. Time to dust off the old gear.

13 years 4 months ago #7306 by Vladimir

Yasko wrote: I haven't shot film in 2 years now, but Kodak has re-released Ektar print film again. Time to dust off the old gear.

I haven't bought or used film in years, I wonder if the price of film has gone down with so many using digital these days?

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #7344 by bjones
i'd rather use my 35mm, black and white. it's a blast to develope and print your own photos. but i don't have my own dark room so i use my dslr. :(

13 years 4 months ago #7365 by KVRNut
I shoot film almost totally but will use a digital when the situation demands it, like when a relative passes me their digital or when I'm helping out a beginner by showing them what their camera is capable of doing. I'll borrow a digital when I have a difficult photo situation to help me figure out set-up, etc. when the old grey matter is too tired to make sense out of what the incident or spot meters are telling me. Guess one of these months, I'm going to have to pick up a good used full frame to carry with me or keep handy. :lol:

Yasko: The ISO 100 Ektar is an excellent film to use. Extremely fine grain that can stand up to demanding situations. Am not afraid to do large poster sized enlargements with this film. Have shot quite a few rolls of it in both 35mm and 120 and have yet to be disappointed by the film. I use it as much as the Fuji Reala but prefer using the Fujichrome Velvia 50/100 and the Astia 100 transparency films.

Vladimir: The price of film has remained pretty much constant the past while but with the reformulations by Fuji and Kodak, quality has never been better and IMHO, well worth the costs.

13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #7415 by Yasko
@Vladimir When you adjust for inflation, I'd say it's gone down quite a bit for 35mm, and a WHOLE lot for medium format.

I just received the 2 rolls of Ektar I ordered from B&H a couple weeks ago, they were about $4.35 a roll for 35mm, 36 exposures. That's very good for pro-grade print film, considering it was 6 bucks a roll for Fuji Reala a decade ago.

13 years 3 months ago #9583 by Oscar Cohen
Let me ask this then, if you were to buy a older film camera that wasn't a collectors item, what film camera would you buy?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024