How are you cataloging your photos?

13 years 4 months ago #6741 by PaperBoy
My photos are all scattered and I need to organize these. How are you cataloging your photos? when you first started how did you go through all them and set everything up in the right folders, for example "nature" "flowers" "people" and so forth?

13 years 4 months ago #6750 by Lucky One
I think you will many who use Lightroom 2

13 years 4 months ago #6914 by Dan Dangerfield

Lucky One wrote: I think you will many who use Lightroom 2

Same here

13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #6926 by ozman1865
Hello Paper Boy,

I can understand what you are talking about with trying to sort and save your files. I also would like to get some good ideas about how to save sorted files with out duplication of the existing files. I currently do not delete any files that are downloaded to my external hard drive and I have aquired many many files over the past year. I currently save each camera download by date then I edit the file name to represent the shoot status of each download. with in each main folder I add a jpg folder and an edited folder. I currently shoot both Raw and Jpeg for each picture taken. I use the jpeg folder to make a cd of the shoot for the client (if it is a portrait shoot) I always do all editing from a Raw file and save them to jpg in the edited folder so I can upload them to any of the sites I use to display my shoots. I shoot with a canon 50D and use the canon provided programs to download the pictures to my external hard drive and so I can sort the jpg from the raw then I use Elements to do all my processing (one day hoping to upgrade to cs*) with in my file system I have developed several external or extra folders to keep track of special photos by genre for quick access. at the present time I haven't figured out how to make the second folder without copying to it from the original folder so I do end up using some extra space on the external drive but I figure if I fill this drive I can always get another.

I am currently starting a project to shoot at least 20 shots a day on things I am not well versed in to develop the skills I think I need to make it the way I want things to look so I am getting ready to develop alot more files for my extra drive but I guess I am still under the impression that I wont get better at taking pictures by reading about it but rather get better by shooting pictures. I have noticed that in the past year I have become much better with my work flow and if I stay consistent with it and I understand my system it should provide me with a fail proof way of saving my pictures good bad or otherwise. I do hope maybe what I have written might help you a bit and at least given you several ways to think about it. I tried to use the sort functions of elements and found it way to time consuming to be practical in a real life situation I would rather spend more time shooting than trying to make sure each pictures is tagged so I can access it with a single click.... well hope to chat with you more someday happy shooting

Jeff

13 years 3 months ago #8377 by Martin

Lucky One wrote: I think you will many who use Lightroom 2

Is that easier to use in a MAC or PC? I know there are some programs that seem to work better on a MAC and some are better with a PC?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #8475 by Travel Nut
Lightroom also, one of the best softwares used for this purpose IMHO.

13 years 3 months ago #8501 by Rob pix4u2
I shoot a great deal of frames so I catalog by date and subject matter. I primarily shoot sports so my system is based on the date and teams involved. Then as I edit down I delete the trash and keep only the good shots. This makes it easier to find specific players from specific games as I keep the rosters of each game filed. Any particularly great shots are copied to a file for the magazine I shoot for and are sent to my editor along with my articles. The magazine keeps an archive of our work so that is my back up for published work. I usually submit more pix than they publish bur sometimes I get lucky and every pic gets in the article. Hope this helps .

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024