What do you look for in a photography school?

12 years 11 months ago #71801 by Baydream

RDelean wrote: Come to think of it....I received a letter that with my kit that said they were on backorder or something and I'd get it when they had more. I never did get that....

I'm sure NYIP will be reading this thread and remedying that situation.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #72683 by CanonKid
How can a online school be back ordered? Heck I like the idea of everything accessible on my computer or iPad. :thumbsup:

Canon 7D, 15-85mm, 18-55mm, 70-200mm, 100mm Macro, Sigma 120-300mm, Speedlite 430EX II

A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #72687 by Baydream

CanonKid wrote: How can a online school be back ordered? Heck I like the idea of everything accessible on my computer or iPad. :thumbsup:

Maybe the books or CDs could be on back order, but ....... ?

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #72735 by RDelean
No, I'm sorry I wasn't clear.

They were waiting for more monopods to arrive and then they sent it to me.

When I received my kit, because I paid in full, I received EVERYTHING at once. It was like Christmas! They don't just send books and CD/DVD's but you also get a lot of equipment that is helpful with taking your class. Some of those items were shipped seperately a they were backordered.

I received a white diffuser umbrella, a large bag for equipment, a large 16x16" microbfiber photo cleaning cloth, a monopod in carry case (Yes, I did find it. I received it seperately but it did come. I hadn't even opened it yet, I'd forgotten all about it. My apologies to NYIP!!) a rather large portable collapsible silver reflector (which I'm not going to open to measure because you should see me try to close it. NYIP even has 2 step instructions on-line for that, thank God!) and a 2.0 flashdrive!!

RDelean
12 years 10 months ago #73031 by crystal

RDelean wrote: No, I'm sorry I wasn't clear.

They were waiting for more monopods to arrive and then they sent it to me.

When I received my kit, because I paid in full, I received EVERYTHING at once. It was like Christmas! They don't just send books and CD/DVD's but you also get a lot of equipment that is helpful with taking your class. Some of those items were shipped seperately a they were backordered.

I received a white diffuser umbrella, a large bag for equipment, a large 16x16" microbfiber photo cleaning cloth, a monopod in carry case (Yes, I did find it. I received it seperately but it did come. I hadn't even opened it yet, I'd forgotten all about it. My apologies to NYIP!!) a rather large portable collapsible silver reflector (which I'm not going to open to measure because you should see me try to close it. NYIP even has 2 step instructions on-line for that, thank God!) and a 2.0 flashdrive!!

When I took the course, the cleaning cloth was on back order but I never got it. It's ok, I mean it's just a cleaning cloth. The reflector took my husband and I couple of tries to figure out how to get it back together, into the bag. But now it's a snap to get it together.
12 years 10 months ago #73035 by crystal

Baydream wrote:

CanonKid wrote: How can a online school be back ordered? Heck I like the idea of everything accessible on my computer or iPad. :thumbsup:

Maybe the books or CDs could be on back order, but ....... ?

it's not really an online school. I would call it more of an at home school. As everything is mailed too you and you work at home. You can take the written test either online or paper. And you print/send your photos into the school. There is no emailing the photos.

Any of the books, CDs, monopods etc.. can be on back order. Because well, a company had to make all those items, which gets shipped to NYIP, who then ships it to the student. Just anything else, if NYIP doesn't have the item...then it's back order.
12 years 10 months ago #77731 by NYIP

RDelean wrote: Well, you guys sold me. I actually signed up quite some time ago but because of an illness/surgery/recovery I just got a good start on my courses. That was the first plus for me. I have 3 years to complete the Professional Photography Course plus I can get a year extension for free if needed. ALSO, my husband is active duty military SO....I was able to use MyCAA spouse entitlement to pay because you guys are so awesome you accept that!! Thank you!

The teaching method is great as well. I have homeschooled our 3 children from 4th - 12th grade and I know what works. Your method of using colorful, bright, updated texts and well as CD's plus feedback from the instructors on the Photo Assignments is really efficient. NYIP also supplied me with a lot of equipment I didn't have; if only a camera was included. lol! I still need a better camera....working on that.

All that and your website too, which I've still not been able to fully explore. I think it all works well and you guys have everything I need in a package that makes it most convenient for me. I'm love my course and hope to do the Photoshop one next.

Thanks for the kind words. We're proud of our convenience, as we hear stories like this all of the time. Hope you're doing well and good luck with the remainder of the course!

New York Institute of Photography

Visit us online at nyip.com
Follow us on Twitter @nyip

12 years 10 months ago #77733 by NYIP

RDelean wrote:

crystal wrote: I took NYIP...October 2010 graduate.

I haven't reached a film chapter but I do see a book called Darkroom. I sure hope there is not a Film Photo Assignment as I don't have a film camera anymore. Hopefully that chapter is all reading & CD's. I have always wanted to understand how a darkroom works though.

We don't force anyone to do any work with Film. But we have decided to keep that part of the program intact just for that reason, so that anyone who wants to know how it all works, can.

Thanks!

12 years 10 months ago #77735 by NYIP

crystal wrote: One thing that is nice that NYIP does is they give bonus gifts. Which includes a monopod, that I lost. I accidently left it where I was shooting. I went back the next day to where I left it, and it was gone. 24hrs later and someone had to steal it.

By any chance would NYIP send me another monopod? :)

I'm not the one to say yes or no to that kind of request. But I can say that the people on the phones are very forgiving and if you explain your situation to them, you never know.

It doesn't hurt to ask.

12 years 10 months ago #77737 by NYIP

We're certainly not an online school, in that sense. We're a home-study school. We're proud of the quality of our Course materials, and we still send everything out through the mail. All of our tests are done online, and we use email to send back teacher critiques and evaluations. But there's just something to be said about learning from books and CDs and DVDs. It's up to each individual to decide what type of education works best for them.

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #77813 by Baydream
After reading the NYIP vs MLK thread, I have very mixed feelings about the two.
I generally want to learn more about a particular area of photography, not a "soup-to-nuts" education. I would prefer course offerings in say macro or studio lighting or HDR - sort of like a college continuing education college curriculum where you can choose what courses to take.
I do not want to spend a thousand on a full-blown photo education or half that on a "zen" methodology. I have things I want/need to learn and will look for ways to learn them without buying the "whole enchilada".

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #77911 by RDelean

Baydream wrote: After reading the NYIP vs MLK thread, I have very mixed feelings about the two.
I generally want to learn more about a particular area of photography, not a "soup-to-nuts" education. I would prefer course offerings in say macro or studio lighting or HDR - sort of like a college continuing education college curriculum where you can choose what courses to take.
I do not want to spend a thousand on a full-blown photo education or half that on a "zen" methodology. I have things I want/need to learn and will look for ways to learn them without buying the "whole enchilada".

You should check out Better Photo.com for that. I have some friends and family who have taken courses from them. They liked it. They're not for me but you may love their site.

RDelean

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024