Need help on which camera for wife for Christmas

13 years 4 months ago #7334 by Blue Eyes
I'm new here. So if I posted this in wrong place, feel free to move the thread to where it belongs.

My wife wants a new camera for Christmas. I have narrowed it down between a Canon EOS Rebel T1i that comes with a 18-55mm lens OR a Nikon D300 that also has a 18-55mm lens.

I've been told these are both great camera brands, however there is a $200 price difference. The Nikon is $499.99 and the Canon is $699.99. I don't know much about camera's, all I know is both these have the same lens. So what is the difference, or which is better?

Thanks and happy holidays

Brad

13 years 4 months ago #7395 by KVRNut
The best camera is the one that she is most comfortable holding or using. How a camera fits a persons hands is just as important as any features a camera may have. Take your wife along with you for a fitting. It may cost you more but then you'll have given a gift that will get used and enjoyed a lot more.

13 years 4 months ago #7396 by Blue Eyes
Thank you for the advice. I just noticed I had a error in my post. It's a Nikon D3000 NOT a D300 :whistle:

Hmmm I was hoping to give this to her as a surprise Christmas morning rather than it be a gift she knows about already.

13 years 4 months ago #7399 by KVRNut
If your wife has smaller hands or short fingers, a Canon might be the way to go as the buttons and grip seem to fit better than the Nikon. Longer fingers can handle the Nikon better. If in doubt, buy the Canon. You can exhange it after Chirstmas if need be.

13 years 4 months ago #7402 by Solstar
Both are great cameras. If you simply can't decide based on ergonomics (the best tie-breaker), see if any family members use one brand or the other. That way you can always exchange/borrow equipment more easily.

13 years 4 months ago #7405 by Wildfire
Both are good cameras. You really can't make a bad choice here. I'm a Canon guys so my vote is for the Canon.

13 years 4 months ago #7416 by Yasko

KVRNut wrote: The best camera is the one that she is most comfortable holding or using. How a camera fits a persons hands is just as important as any features a camera may have. Take your wife along with you for a fitting. It may cost you more but then you'll have given a gift that will get used and enjoyed a lot more.

Very much agree with this. Both models are essentially equivalent as entry level bodies, and it all comes down to ergenomics at this point. If you don't mind taking out the "surprise factor" of this gift, you can take her down to the local camera shop to try them out.

13 years 4 months ago #7570 by Patty Ganahl
I'm a Nikon gal, so you know where my vote is ;)

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #7575 by robpix4u2
The D3000 is a good choice and offers flexibility for a beginner. Remember that once you choose a brand you will pretty much be committed to that manufacturer. You can buy off brand lenses and accessories but quality and some compatibility issues may crop up at times. I know pro shooters who use Canon and the rebel series was not their first recomendation for several reasons as you may want to expand your system later. The body is probably lighter than the Nikon but lens mount is polycarbonate I believe, this may cause a problem when using telephoto lenses. the Nikon mount is sturdier. Both cameras take good pics with the basic lenses you get in the kits. Long term the systems compatibility with newer/older lenses etc. is a consideration. when you expand your system used equipment is a good source of quality stuff without the premium price for new. good quality in both manufacturers product lines but as a Nikon pro I am partial to my brand. Happy Hunting and have a merry Christmas

13 years 4 months ago #8570 by Blue Eyes
D3000 was the winner, thanks guys!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024