Generic point and shoot

13 years 4 months ago #7661 by bbf
I have a lil Kodac. I am thinking about stepping up. Any suggestions?

13 years 4 months ago #7680 by KVRNut
Ask yourself what you want for a camera and how much are you willing to spend. What types of photography are you going to use it for and in what types of conditions? There's a lot of good point and shoots out there that are very capable cameras.

13 years 4 months ago #7691 by Clark Elliott Photography
I can't agree more with KVRNut, My wife uses an Olympus 14mp pocket camera for flowers ect... because it allows more movement up close. I also have an SP-350 I throw in my pocket when I can't pack the larger camera. Then you have what I call transitional point and shoots... Like the Fuji S-100 that I use as a fast back-up. It has most of the features of an DSLR but without the interchangeable lens. There are alot of good point and shoots that take excepional pictures. Set down and make out a list of what you want it to do and then start searching for the "ONE" that fits the bill. Good luck. and if you find the "ONE" let me know, maybe I can get rid of several of mine. LOL

13 years 4 months ago #7717 by bbf
I tried my hand on an online digital class and the instructor called the point and shoot cameras "PHD" aka "Push Here Dumby." Though comical, made me fell like I should have something more. Thanks for the wisdom!

13 years 4 months ago #7728 by Vladimir

bbf wrote: I tried my hand on an online digital class and the instructor called the point and shoot cameras "PHD" aka "Push Here Dumby." Though comical, made me fell like I should have something more. Thanks for the wisdom!

Just go at pace you are comfortable with. Nothing wrong with a point and shoot ;)

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #7741 by KZAM
What sort of budget you working with?

I don't need no stink'in Signature! ha ha ha
Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #7768 by DBoucher Photography
My first DSLR was a Nikon D40. I LOVED that camera! I gradually added lenses, and eventually outgrew it, but it was a great 'starter' DSLR, and made the transition to the D90 much easier. Depends on where you think you might be going with your photography... if you think you'd eventually like to move to DSLR anyway, then consider what you're spending on a new point and shoot ( of which there are good ones these days! ) and what you'd spend if you just made the leap. It really is all about the budget.

13 years 4 months ago #7781 by KVRNut
Here's some food for thought.
If you want to upgrade and do it on a budget, then think seriously about getting some good used equipment. This can allow you to pick up a half decent DSLR and some glass. You can always upgrade the camera body easily enough while still keeping the glass you really like. If you're learning, then you don't need the latest and greatest and you can upgrade as your skills grow and budget allows. The other advantage of this is that you can learn how to get the most out of your equipment. Just make sure that you pick up a camera platform that you're happy with and want to stick with so you don't have to make wholesale changes as you upgrade in future.

13 years 4 months ago #7799 by Yasko
If you want the best quality with reasonable portability, my vote goes to the canon G series. I'm looking to upgrading generic point and shoot myself, and I'm considering a G9 or G10

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024