canned air to clean lenses

12 years 9 months ago #79125 by Armon Photos
Can I use canned air to clean lenses? Or is canned air to much pressure and may damage the glass?

12 years 9 months ago #79217 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #79295 by Mindrebø

effron wrote: No..............
photo.net/learn/cleaning-cameras

:goodpost:
Thanks for the informative piece!

Grumblefish
12 years 9 months ago #79305 by Armon Photos

effron wrote: No..............
photo.net/learn/cleaning-cameras

before clicking on the link. What is your No too??

Can I use canned air to clean lenses?...NO
or
Or is canned air to much pressure and may damage the glass? ... NO

12 years 9 months ago #79321 by Ziggy
I was told that you don't want to use canned air because of the pressure and the moisture that can be created.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #79371 by Johnnie
I have to agree with Ziggy - I too was told by a repair tech not to use canned air.

12 years 9 months ago #79523 by Baydream
Canned air has enough pressure to scratch the lens with any dust - plus the moisture and contain chemicals such as Difluoroethane which is is an organofluorine compound used as a refrigerant. Directly used on your skin can cause frostbite.
Want to use THAT on your lens?

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #79589 by Screamin Scott
The propellant will leave a residue on the elements, I'd advise against it...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #79777 by MLKstudios
Anything that can be removed with canned air, could be removed with a brush. I use a sable hair paint brush.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 9 months ago #79779 by Stealthy Ninja

Baydream wrote: Canned air has enough pressure to scratch the lens with any dust - plus the moisture and contain chemicals such as Difluoroethane which is is an organofluorine compound used as a refrigerant. Directly used on your skin can cause frostbite.
Want to use THAT on your lens?

Yep.

MLKstudios wrote: Anything that can be removed with canned air, could be removed with a brush. I use a sable hair paint brush.

Matthew :)

Also yep. :thumbsup:
12 years 9 months ago #82779 by Tuscany
Over kill if you ask me

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #82853 by Stealthy Ninja

Tuscany wrote: Over kill if you ask me

How about some under kill?

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024