What would you consider to be the all time must have lens in your camera bag?

12 years 9 months ago #80075 by Flash Steven
Neighbors teenage kid just got into photography class at his school and his parents got him a Nikon D7000 camera and were over here yesterday asking about what lenses are a must have. Now I'm a Canon shooter but told them my favorite lens is the 70-200mm, which of course is offered by Nikon also.

I told them I would ask around for more suggestions for the Nikon users. So if you can help me out, what do you feel are must have lenses for a kid who is looking to become a photo journalist.

:cheers:

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #80079 by MLKstudios
A macro and a wide angle are the tools of good journalism.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 9 months ago #80093 by lillton

MLKstudios wrote: A macro and a wide angle are the tools of good journalism.

Wow that seems like a lie coming from you. From what I been reading, you been announcing the 50mm all across the board. Now you say a macro lens is consider an all time must have lens. What if the person is not into macro photography? No point in spending the money on a macro lens, if one is not into macro photography.

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #80095 by MLKstudios
Sometimes a journalist has to get close. The macro lets you do that. A wide lens puts the "viewer" in the same spot as the photographer. They get to feel what the photographer felt at that time.

I recommend a 50mm for anyone wanting to learn. It's a very cheap lens to get you seeing the world as a camera does.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 9 months ago #80097 by Rob pix4u2
A good zoom like a 28-70mm F 2.8, an 80-200mm F2.8, and a 300mm F4 are my must have lenses as a sports photojournalist. And most of the newspaper shooters use a 300mm F 2.8.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
12 years 9 months ago #80099 by crystal

Flash Steven wrote: Neighbors teenage kid just got into photography class at his school and his parents got him a Nikon D7000 camera and were over here yesterday asking about what lenses are a must have. Now I'm a Canon shooter but told them my favorite lens is the 70-200mm, which of course is offered by Nikon also.

I told them I would ask around for more suggestions for the Nikon users. So if you can help me out, what do you feel are must have lenses for a kid who is looking to become a photo journalist.

:cheers:

The 70-200 is a good overall lens. It will do him some good for photo journalist. It's light weight enough to hand hold shots. As a photo journalist, I wouldn't use a prime at all. Mainly because in the situations he may be in, he may not be able to physically move his feet, that is where the benefit of the zoom comes in.
Hope he enjoys the D7000. It's a nice camera.
12 years 9 months ago #80101 by crystal

MLKstudios wrote: Sometimes a journalist has to get close. The macro lets you do that. A wide lens puts the "viewer" in the same spot as the photographer. They get to feel what the photographer felt.

I recommend a 50mm for anyone wanting to learn. It's a very cheap lens to get you seeing the world as a camera does.

I agree with lillton. If you want to get close, that is what a zoom is for....not a macro lens. What you plan on taking a macro shot of a person's bloody broken leg or the football actually touching the grass for touchdown?
12 years 9 months ago #80103 by crystal

Rob pix4u2 wrote: A good zoom like a 28-70mm F 2.8, an 80-200mm F2.8, and a 300mm F4 are my must have lenses as a sports photojournalist. And most of the newspaper shooters use a 300mm F 2.8.

Nice set of lenses there and of course nice shot as always. :thumbsup:
12 years 9 months ago #80105 by MLKstudios
Depends on what you consider "journalism".

:)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 9 months ago #80121 by Rob pix4u2
I consider the fact that one is usually in a crowd of shooters, sometimes some distance from the subject, sometimes close up, to be a deciding factor in lens selection as a photojournalist. I have used all of my selected lenses in the same shoot at different times depending on the shot I need to get for my editor.

Rob Huelsman Sr.

Attachments:
12 years 9 months ago #80133 by MLKstudios
You do good work Rob. But, sports photography is a subset of photojournalism, and of course requires its own set of tools -- like long lenses.

On another level, journalism is about getting to know your subject (as you do hockey) and giving people a clarity of what that subject is. It literally can be anything.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 9 months ago #80153 by Rob pix4u2
I will admit that in shooting sports it has it's own set of tools and there is not one lens that fits all situations. I've shot sports from soccer to lacrosse and now my concentration is hockey because i work for a hockey publication but a good 3 lens combo gives one the flexibility to be unobtrusive or up close and personal with the subject. Then again most of the shooters I've worked next to are like me with multiple bodies and lenses all at the same time. The generalist shooters i know have the luxury of having the time to carry single bodies and change lenses at leisure from the camera bag rather than needing multiple bodies.

Rob Huelsman Sr.

12 years 9 months ago #80185 by ghunt64
I would strongly recomend the Tamron 28-300 as a starter lens.

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/506047-RE...f_3_5_6_3_XR_Di.html

It's affordable at only $600 and you can get good images from it. I can't imagine any other lens as a starter lens. This lens offers a good range of focal length and as that teen advances in ability he/she can morph into lenses that better suit their "photographic style".

12 years 9 months ago #80289 by Screamin Scott
When I think of photo journalists, I think of newspaper shooters...They wouldn't have as much of a need for longer lenses as a rule. A short wide angle zoom like a 24-70 F2.8, while expensive, would be what I'd want if I were a photo journalist...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #80317 by MLKstudios
Much of Bresson's work was shot with a 35mm lens (on a full frame Leica), which is slightly wide. He also used the 50mm at times (the "normal" lens). Rarely anything long.

I consider his work to be the ultimate in photojournalism.

PS His full name is Henri Cartier-Bresson. A Google search will yield many examples of his work.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024