What would you consider to be the all time must have lens in your camera bag?

12 years 9 months ago #80335 by TheNissanMan
The OP (Original Post) doesn't mention what type of photography class or course is being started so lens at the mo is irrelevant, personally for me I want my next lens to be a 70-200mm f2.8 mkII...

Could always scare the crap out of the parents and suggest that the must have lens is a 200-500mm 2.8, would love to see their faces when they look at the price of that lens :)

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #80341 by MLKstudios
When did that one come out? For Canon?

:)

n/m I see now it's a Sigma. Has to be the most impractical lens made. Unless of course you have "Hulk" in your nickname. Would signify having a smaller *beep* than owning a Porsche.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 9 months ago #80345 by Baydream

Rob pix4u2 wrote: I will admit that in shooting sports it has it's own set of tools and there is not one lens that fits all situations. I've shot sports from soccer to lacrosse and now my concentration is hockey because i work for a hockey publication but a good 3 lens combo gives one the flexibility to be unobtrusive or up close and personal with the subject. Then again most of the shooters I've worked next to are like me with multiple bodies and lenses all at the same time. The generalist shooters i know have the luxury of having the time to carry single bodies and change lenses at leisure from the camera bag rather than needing multiple bodies.

I agree. The issue comes down to where your vantage point is located. At an amateur rink. if I get close to the net (ball hockey), the 50mm on my XSi is too close. For those I would like to get a fast 35mm and a fast telezoom for action at the other end. I usually carry two bodies with different lenses to get the best I can (which is only so-so as yet).

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #80355 by TheNissanMan
LOL, not a lens I own or would like to, with the weight of the thing I would need to quit smoking and work out for an extrended period of time before even considering trying to take it anywhere, as for panning BiF with it....

12 years 9 months ago #80357 by Baydream
Outdoor Photograph just did an article surveying several outdoor pros on their favorite lens as well as a user survey. www.outdoorphotographer.com

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #80401 by Henry Peach

Flash Steven wrote: Neighbors teenage kid just got into photography class at his school and his parents got him a Nikon D7000 camera and were over here yesterday asking about what lenses are a must have...

The worst thing they can do is load the kid down with a bunch of gear. Just stick with the lens that came with the camera for a while. It's the must have lens. Once he learns some about photography and how he likes to do it he'll have a better idea as to what lens he'd find useful. If they want to spend money buy a flash or Photoshop. Even better spend the money sending the kid to a photo-inspiring location, and having prints made and framed of his work.
12 years 9 months ago #80407 by MLKstudios
Touché HP!

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 9 months ago #80411 by TheNissanMan
Could not agree more :)

12 years 9 months ago #80423 by Scotty

Henry Peach wrote:

Flash Steven wrote: Neighbors teenage kid just got into photography class at his school and his parents got him a Nikon D7000 camera and were over here yesterday asking about what lenses are a must have...

The worst thing they can do is load the kid down with a bunch of gear. Just stick with the lens that came with the camera for a while. It's the must have lens. Once he learns some about photography and how he likes to do it he'll have a better idea as to what lens he'd find useful. If they want to spend money buy a flash or Photoshop. Even better spend the money sending the kid to a photo-inspiring location, and having prints made and framed of his work.

Definitely agreed.

On a personal note, i'd pick my 70-200.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #80479 by McBeth Photography
AF Nikkor 35-70mm 2.8D

Yes, I know that it is normal to tele on a dx body. I like everything about the lens and I like the macro feature on the 35mm end that it has too. For events and such it works great and it is sharp and has great contrast even wide open, AF is fast too. For the newbie that wants great pics, I can't recommend it highly enough. Great 2.8 starter zoom.

It is what it is.
12 years 9 months ago #80543 by icepics
I had a friend ask me about a camera for her son for a class; they knew what was required and I gave her the name of a reputable dealer locally and mentioned some basic manual focus SLRs that would be options to meet the requirement. Maybe you need to find out more about what's needed for the class/school so you don't inadvertently steer them in the wrong direction.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #80703 by Shadowfixer1
The 18-200 hands down. It gives you the most flexibility out there. If a person can only afford one lens, this is it. If the student then falls in love with photography, they can expand their lens choices to more exoctic choices.
12 years 9 months ago #80717 by Stealthy Ninja

Rob pix4u2 wrote: A good zoom like a 28-70mm F 2.8, an 80-200mm F2.8, and a 300mm F4 are my must have lenses as a sports photojournalist. And most of the newspaper shooters use a 300mm F 2.8.

Ahh how about a modern version of those lenses man. ;)

24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 VRII (if he can afford them) is a good start. The 24-70 can focus pretty close, so it's cool. The 70-200 for when the action is too far/dangerous/restricted in access, to get close.
12 years 9 months ago #80721 by ilh2009ky
Since I shoot with Canon equipment, I'm not as familiar with Nikon cameras. However, I saw an add for the Nikon D7000 for $1500. Any Canon camera that's priced under $2500 uses an APS-C sized sensor and has a multiplying factor of 1.5. If the same holds true for Nikon, then the suggestion above for the Tamron 28-300mm lens is pretty good. With an APS-C camera, 28mm is approximately 42mm (on this camera) and hence is a "normal" lens. A 50mm lens for this camera would be inappropriate since it would become a75mm lens. If one has a full frame camera, then the 50mm lens would make more sense. The Tamron 28-200mm lens covers the range from normal to telephoto and the price is right.

Ian Leslie Harry
www.ilhphotography.com

The following user(s) said Thank You: angaras
12 years 9 months ago #80735 by Stealthy Ninja

ilh2009ky wrote: Since I shoot with Canon equipment, I'm not as familiar with Nikon cameras. However, I saw an add for the Nikon D7000 for $1500. Any Canon camera that's priced under $2500 uses an APS-C sized sensor and has a multiplying factor of 1.5. If the same holds true for Nikon, then the suggestion above for the Tamron 28-300mm lens is pretty good. With an APS-C camera, 28mm is approximately 42mm (on this camera) and hence is a "normal" lens. A 50mm lens for this camera would be inappropriate since it would become a75mm lens. If one has a full frame camera, then the 50mm lens would make more sense. The Tamron 28-200mm lens covers the range from normal to telephoto and the price is right.

Nikon's crop factor is 1.5. Canon's crop factor is 1.6

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024