What would you consider to be the all time must have lens in your camera bag?

11 years 10 months ago #228310 by Blazev
I have a D7000 and my favourite lens has to be NIkkor 24-70mm f.2.8 N it costs a bit , but its worth it , its basically the only lens i use , i also have a 35mm f1.8, 50mm f 1.4, and 1.8. nikkor 18-200mm vrii, I actually went to all the camera shops in melbourne but ended up getting the best price at JB HI nearly $400 bucks less. cheers.

Attachments:
11 years 10 months ago #228359 by Janos

Blazev wrote: I have a D7000 and my favourite lens has to be NIkkor 24-70mm f.2.8 N it costs a bit , but its worth it , its basically the only lens i use , i also have a 35mm f1.8, 50mm f 1.4, and 1.8. nikkor 18-200mm vrii, I actually went to all the camera shops in melbourne but ended up getting the best price at JB HI nearly $400 bucks less. cheers.

I like your shoot you posted, is this using a backdrop or actual outdoors?

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #246985 by studiotoffa
I've made a switch to full-format, so my must-have lens is my Tamron SP 28-75mm f2.8. A great lens, sharp and with little distortion. Great for close-up work and also has a 67mm filtertread which make it reasonable to get filter for compared to Sigma that uses a 72mm filtertread.

Now I know that this lens would come out as 42-112mm on DX-format camera as the D7000, so for that camera I would go for the Tamron SP 17-50mm f2.8. Almost the same spec. and has a little more distortion at the wide end, but this distortion is easy to correct in most cases with either Lightroom, Adobe Camera Raw or CaptureNX 2.
That lens also covers most shooting senarios that one encounters when one is starting out. This lens used to be my go-to lens when I used Nikon D200.
When it comes to filters, one should get the low-frame filters as the normal frame would vignette on the wide end above 28mm.

I would also recommend the Nikon AF-S 18-105mm f3,5-5,6 G VR. I've not used this lens much, but for what I've seen it's a good go-to lens. Sharp, not as fast as the Tamron, but uses the same filtertread.

Please visit me at Studio Toffa Photography www.studio-toffa.com
img\def

11 years 7 months ago #247011 by garyrhook

studiotoffa wrote: Now I know that this lens would come out as 42-112mm on DX-format camera as the D7000....

No, it doesn't. This is a pervasive misconception. The DX-format sensor changes the image area, due to a different crop angle. The conversion factor only applies to that (i.e. given the same geometry of camera and subject positions/sizes) a full-frame sensor will see 1.5 as much as an APS-C sensor. The focal lenght of the lens is not affected by the sensor size.

That said, I'm using a Tamron 28-75 on my D5100 and I love it.

Go-to lens? Depends upon what you're doing. For travel I want an 18-300 now (borrowed an 18-200 from a friend for a trip, and it was awesome). You'll find that just one lens isn't going to be quite enough :)

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #247057 by studiotoffa
Compared to a full format senors angle of view will the 28-75 become a 42-112mm and that was what I pointed to, as a 28mm is 28mm on every format available, but the angle of is relative to the medium that the lens is mounted to.
Since we are familiar to what angle of view the focal-lenght of the 35mm or full format sensor, we compare the lens' angle of view to that "standar". Then a 28-75mm will become a 42-112 with the DX-sensor cropfactor.

Please visit me at Studio Toffa Photography www.studio-toffa.com
img\def

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024