What would you consider to be the all time must have lens in your camera bag?

8 years 7 months ago #228310 by Blazev
I have a D7000 and my favourite lens has to be NIkkor 24-70mm f.2.8 N it costs a bit , but its worth it , its basically the only lens i use , i also have a 35mm f1.8, 50mm f 1.4, and 1.8. nikkor 18-200mm vrii, I actually went to all the camera shops in melbourne but ended up getting the best price at JB HI nearly $400 bucks less. cheers.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 7 months ago #228359 by Janos

Blazev wrote: I have a D7000 and my favourite lens has to be NIkkor 24-70mm f.2.8 N it costs a bit , but its worth it , its basically the only lens i use , i also have a 35mm f1.8, 50mm f 1.4, and 1.8. nikkor 18-200mm vrii, I actually went to all the camera shops in melbourne but ended up getting the best price at JB HI nearly $400 bucks less. cheers.

I like your shoot you posted, is this using a backdrop or actual outdoors?

Photo Comments

8 years 4 months ago #246985 by studiotoffa
I've made a switch to full-format, so my must-have lens is my Tamron SP 28-75mm f2.8. A great lens, sharp and with little distortion. Great for close-up work and also has a 67mm filtertread which make it reasonable to get filter for compared to Sigma that uses a 72mm filtertread.

Now I know that this lens would come out as 42-112mm on DX-format camera as the D7000, so for that camera I would go for the Tamron SP 17-50mm f2.8. Almost the same spec. and has a little more distortion at the wide end, but this distortion is easy to correct in most cases with either Lightroom, Adobe Camera Raw or CaptureNX 2.
That lens also covers most shooting senarios that one encounters when one is starting out. This lens used to be my go-to lens when I used Nikon D200.
When it comes to filters, one should get the low-frame filters as the normal frame would vignette on the wide end above 28mm.

I would also recommend the Nikon AF-S 18-105mm f3,5-5,6 G VR. I've not used this lens much, but for what I've seen it's a good go-to lens. Sharp, not as fast as the Tamron, but uses the same filtertread.

Please visit me at Studio Toffa Photography www.studio-toffa.com
img\def

8 years 4 months ago #247011 by garyrhook

studiotoffa wrote: Now I know that this lens would come out as 42-112mm on DX-format camera as the D7000....

No, it doesn't. This is a pervasive misconception. The DX-format sensor changes the image area, due to a different crop angle. The conversion factor only applies to that (i.e. given the same geometry of camera and subject positions/sizes) a full-frame sensor will see 1.5 as much as an APS-C sensor. The focal lenght of the lens is not affected by the sensor size.

That said, I'm using a Tamron 28-75 on my D5100 and I love it.

Go-to lens? Depends upon what you're doing. For travel I want an 18-300 now (borrowed an 18-200 from a friend for a trip, and it was awesome). You'll find that just one lens isn't going to be quite enough :)

Photo Comments

8 years 4 months ago #247057 by studiotoffa
Compared to a full format senors angle of view will the 28-75 become a 42-112mm and that was what I pointed to, as a 28mm is 28mm on every format available, but the angle of is relative to the medium that the lens is mounted to.
Since we are familiar to what angle of view the focal-lenght of the 35mm or full format sensor, we compare the lens' angle of view to that "standar". Then a 28-75mm will become a 42-112 with the DX-sensor cropfactor.

Please visit me at Studio Toffa Photography www.studio-toffa.com
img\def

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a6100 has been out for over a year now. In this long-term Sony a6100 review, learn all about its features, specs, price, and more.

Jan 13, 2021

The Panasonic G85 might be a few years old, but it still has the specs and features to make it a highly useful camera. Get all the details in this Panasonic G85 review.

Jan 12, 2021

The Olympus OM-D E-M1 I is pushing eight years old, but for budget-minded photographers, it represents excellent value in 2021.

Jan 08, 2021

The Fujifilm X100v is the latest in the X100 series of compact cameras. Does this new version improve on its predecessors? Find out in this in-depth review.

Dec 31, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Processing landscape photos takes a good amount of time and effort. By educating yourself on tips for processing landscape photos, you can make the most of your editing time.

Jan 14, 2021

I got my first metal print from Printique about six weeks ago. In this Printique metal print review, learn why this might be the best metal print I've ever gotten.

Jan 13, 2021

Use these highly effective real estate photography tips to take better images of properties that help improve its chances of getting sold.

Jan 13, 2021

The Sony a6100 has been out for over a year now. In this long-term Sony a6100 review, learn all about its features, specs, price, and more.

Jan 13, 2021

Use these photography ideas to find your creativity, get organized, and utilize your time at home wisely.

Jan 12, 2021

Cropping in photography is much more than resizing an image. Instead, learning how to crop landscape photos can greatly impact the quality of the composition.

Jan 12, 2021

The Panasonic G85 might be a few years old, but it still has the specs and features to make it a highly useful camera. Get all the details in this Panasonic G85 review.

Jan 12, 2021

There are plenty of camera settings for beginners to learn. However, these important camera settings should be at the top of your list.

Jan 08, 2021