how to deal with Lowish Light

12 years 10 months ago #80767 by ChrisPenn
I seem to be in lowish light settings most of the time leading to not so hot of pictures. When I say low light I mean dinner room table in a lit-up dinning room. I have tried many settings since my main flash makes things over-exposed and flushed out.

I just am not sure really what settings to mess with settings wise to get good shots. I will say buying bounce flash is out of the question for a long time so anything I can work on in the mean time would be great.

12 years 10 months ago #80769 by uJi9
It sounds to me like it's time for you to get a copy of Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure. It will help you out.

Low light is a challenge. One of the issues that you will have with your kit lens, is that it probably doesn't have a wide enough maximum aperture to handle low light well unless you crank the ISO way up on your camera.

Flash can help, but on-camera flash isn't very useful. You need to get your flash off the camera before you start doing well with it.

12 years 10 months ago #80771 by ChrisPenn
I have read the book and while it helps it is just theory and once you get camera in hand theory tends to fly out the window to some degree until I take more shots.

I have set the ISO up to 800 ISO couple even up to 1600 ISO. I sometimes have to get the shutter speed down to 1 second or slightly faster, but yeah have to go to tripod but that doesn't do to well when it comes to trying to get people talking etc.

Looks like might need to stick to shooting during the day until i can get a bounce flash at least.

12 years 10 months ago #80773 by uJi9
SB600 should help. It is just a small flash but bounces.

12 years 10 months ago #80775 by ChrisPenn
I have been eyeing it for a while. Just need to save for a while longer yet. Just trying to figure out something I can do in the mean time. I was curios if there is a site that shows how it works/bounces and doesn't shoot just straight forward it doesn't look like it rotates and bends.

12 years 10 months ago #80803 by gusnelsonphotography
You should be able to rotate the SB600 to get a flash bounce. I'm assuming it is similar to a canon flash. Have you tried a larger apeature(smaller f number) along with higher ISO?

12 years 10 months ago #80849 by effron

ChrisPenn wrote: I have been eyeing it for a while. Just need to save for a while longer yet. Just trying to figure out something I can do in the mean time. I was curios if there is a site that shows how it works/bounces and doesn't shoot just straight forward it doesn't look like it rotates and bends.

strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #80855 by Baydream
Make your own diffuser for your pop-up flash.
Any box this size will do and fold some light cardboard..
www.instructables.com/id/Cigarette-Packet-Flash-Diffuser/

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #80875 by Shadowfixer1
If you don't want to make a diffuser, look for a Gary Fong "Puffer" or something similar. You can find them for under 20 bucks. It should help with the harsh lighting.
12 years 10 months ago #80881 by DestinDave
scotch-tape a piece of toilet paper over the lens of your pop-up flash to soften and diffuse.

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 10 months ago #80953 by Screamin Scott

DestinDave wrote: scotch-tape a piece of toilet paper over the lens of your pop-up flash to soften and diffuse.

Preferably not used :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just try to keep it as a single layer, otherwise it cuts the onboard flash's maximum distance...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #80963 by Henry Peach

ChrisPenn wrote: I have set the ISO up to 800 ISO couple even up to 1600 ISO. I sometimes have to get the shutter speed down to 1 second or slightly faster, but yeah have to go to tripod but that doesn't do to well when it comes to trying to get people talking etc.

You want a higher shutter speed. So you need a higher ISO, a larger aperture (smaller f/#), and/or more light.

Raise the ISO: Yes, it might be noisy. Noisy pic vs no pic? What is the intended use of the photo? Noise won't be so much of an issue for web or small prints ( <8x10 ). There are also techniques and software for dealing with noise in processing.

Buy a faster lens: There are f/2.8 zooms, and many prime lenses are faster than f/2. Look for the cheap 50mm f/1.8.

More light: use a flash, turn up the lights

You describe getting a washed out look with the flash. That's too much light. You want to balance the ambient light with the flash. To tell the meter to reduce ambient exposure use the exposure compensation feature ( sometimes looks like this +/- ). If I were shooting in a dim room I probably don't want the background brightened to middle gray tone (that's what the meter wants to do). So I would purposely under expose a bit, or set exposure comp to -1ish. The same with the flash. If you are getting too much dial in -1 flash compensation.
12 years 10 months ago #81013 by cod
The best resource I've found for learning to manage on camera flash and balancing with ambient light is this series of articles by photographer Neil van Niekerk . This info is also available in book form if you prefer that. They have helped me immensely with photographing indoors, dinner parties, evening functions and so on.

Regards,
Chris

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #81021 by MLKstudios
Neil's work is definitely good, and he explains the flash very well. There is much more to using a flash than most people realize.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 10 months ago #81153 by Henry Peach
If your flash won't bounce on camera you could always use a flash cord to point it anywhere you want. These guys sell cheap but fully functional cords for Canon. Maybe Nikon too? flashzebra.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024