how does one go about acclimating their equipment for drastic temp changes

13 years 4 months ago #8131 by ozman1865
Hello all,

This questions is about what precautions one would need to acclimate your camera and gear to the changes of indoor warm temps to outdoor cold. I as a mechanic know that when we would bring a vehicle into the shop during the winter months we had to crack a window a bit so that the vehicle could acclimate itself to the difference in temprature and I have seen a few cars that this didn't happen with and thus resulted in a cracked windsheild. I am certain that photography equipment could possibly result in similar situation. Can someone please give me some advise on acclimating my equipment to go from indoors in the warmth to going outside into a snowy atmosphere or just plain cold weather. if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated

13 years 4 months ago #8132 by Joves
Well most of the problems are from cold to warm. In this case you put your lens and camera in a big ziplock bag or, you leave it in your camera bag. Going from warm to cold is nover a problem for me except for the occasional view finder fogging. That and batter life is decreased, so I carry my backup batteries in my inside coat pocket. Also the battery that got cold goes in there to warm back up, I reuse it latter because it will give you some more shots after it is warm again.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ozman1865
13 years 4 months ago #8135 by Yasko

Joves wrote: Well most of the problems are from cold to warm. In this case you put your lens and camera in a big ziplock bag or, you leave it in your camera bag. Going from warm to cold is nover a problem for me except for the occasional view finder fogging. That and batter life is decreased, so I carry my backup batteries in my inside coat pocket. Also the battery that got cold goes in there to warm back up, I reuse it latter because it will give you some more shots after it is warm again.

Well said. I do the same thing, keeping the equipment in the camera bag while transitioning if I can help it. An experienced photographer I know told me quick transition from extreme cold to warm permanently effects optical performance of a lens. The glass would expand and contract in it's fittings, so perhaps its true. I'd assume well made camera equipment is designed to withstand these instances, but better safe than sorry.

13 years 4 months ago #8145 by ozman1865
thank you both for the post. I started thinking after the first post and your explination it clicked. as it is much like the problem with the cars I was referring too. the problem wasn't when we took the car out of the shop to the cold but rather when we brought the car in from the cold to the warm. you had mentioned a plastic bag and I was wanting to clarify........ so before putting my equipment back into it camera bag you are saying to put the camera into a ziploc bag and then into the camera bag and let it acclimate that way. I am sure the time needed depends on actually how cold the equipment gets or how long it is exposed to the lower temps. thank you for your prompt response too my question and again I sure am glad I am part of this site everyone seems so helpful.

Jeff

13 years 4 months ago #8165 by Screamin Scott
Others have pointed out what you need to do when transitioning between moderate temperature changes. If however you were to be shooting in sub zero weather for extended periods, the major camera makers will "winterize" (change out lubricants to other formulations to better withstand extreem cold temperatures) your camera...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024