Sigma DP2s

13 years 4 months ago #8137 by Screamin Scott
Well, my camera I won came today via UPS...As I type this, the battery is charging. I've already put on the strap, inserted the memory card, loaded the software, registered the camera & am going thru the manual...Hope the battery is fully charged soon (I already got a spare & will charge that after the first one is done) Pics will likely be tomorrow...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #8141 by Yasko
Great! I look forward to seeing what that little camera can do. According to Sigma the foveon sensors their cameras use are supposed to produce the most accurate colors with the least color noise. Post 100 percent crop samples if you can...

13 years 4 months ago #8142 by Foxy Girl
Congrats for you!

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #8146 by ozman1865
congrats again scott. look forward to seeing the pictures myself. the excitement awaits all of us have a great holiday scott.

Jeff

13 years 4 months ago #8152 by Homer
Good for you. I've seen the advertisements in the photography magazines. Never really paid much attention to them. Whats the deal about that camera?

13 years 4 months ago #8161 by Screamin Scott
It's a point & shoot camera that has an almost DSLR sized sensor ( and a Foveon sensor as well- Google it for more info). It isn't for the average point & shoot person as it has a fixed lfocal length lens as opposed to a zoom (deal breaker for most folks). So far, I like it although I haven't been able to shoot it outdoors in natural light as it's dark when I leave for work & dark when I return at this time of year...There are some things I'd like to see improved (USB port cover), but I'm still getting a feel for it right now, so a more detailed response will have to wait until I'm more familiar with the camera (& I can shoot during daylight hours)

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #8226 by Mike Ayrouth
I was told the camera takes amazing photos, however the shutter is a bit slow?

Getting BETTER one photo at a time!
Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #8238 by Screamin Scott
Other than trying out a few "flash "shots, I haven't had the time to shoot it outdoors during the day...I leave for work at 6:30am (it's dark) & I get home from work at 6pm ( too dark to shoot) so until this weekend, I won't have time to test it out further...That would be Sunday as we have to be at work (overtime) Saturday at 6am (meaning I have to leave @ 5:15 Am to get there on time) Luckily I work for Subaru of America on my day job & we are doing very well, better than most other auto manufacturers. It's just that it doesn't leave me much time for doing things..:angry:

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #8248 by Steven.Powell

Screamin Scott wrote: Other than trying out a few "flash "shots, I haven't had the time to shoot it outdoors during the day...I leave for work at 6:30am (it's dark) & I get home from work at 6pm ( too dark to shoot) so until this weekend, I won't have time to test it out further...That would be Sunday as we have to be at work (overtime) Saturday at 6am (meaning I have to leave @ 5:15 Am to get there on time) Luckily I work for Subaru of America on my day job & we are doing very well, better than most other auto manufacturers. It's just that it doesn't leave me much time for doing things..:angry:

What is your opinion of the camera so far? I was just looking up the specs of the camera on B&H and man that camera is pretty pricey! $658? So would you run out and buy this based on your experience so far? www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=sigma+...=0&InitialSearch=yes

13 years 4 months ago #8285 by Screamin Scott
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you Stephen..I have still not had a chance to run the camera thru it's paces as I have had to work overtime on my day job & I've had a nasty cold...So far I like the camera a lot. That said, it's not a camera for everyone, what with a fixed focal length ,no interchangeable lens lens, many people would be put off by it. It is a good supplemental point & shoot to go along with my DSLR. As for B7 H's price, it's a bit high. I've seen them go for around $500 on Amazon...It's not a low light camera either as the lens is an F2.8. The onboard flash is a bit underpowered (as are most, if not all, onboard units). As for Mike's question about the shutter being "slow"...I think maybe you mean the autofocus not the shutter & it will hunt in lower light, but again, most point & shoot camera will hunt in lower light. I'll be posting some photos later this weekend...

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #8296 by Rocket Man
Over all the camera get's pretty good reviews. Can't wait to see some photos from it.

13 years 4 months ago #8336 by Vladimir
Sigma is best known for their lenses right?

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #8340 by Screamin Scott
Yes, Sigma is better known for their lens line than their camera line

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #8352 by Deatach
Condgradulations on the camera you won, I will look forward to seeing some fabilous new work from you.

13 years 4 months ago #8353 by Deatach
Yes, Sigma is better known for thier Lenses. Are they the best lenses out there? For the money they are. I know I have a preference for the Sigma Lenses, in particular I love my 150-500 mm the balance on it is so amazing that I can hand hold it most of the time, and am only forced in lower light situation to use a tripod. wouldn't want to try that with a canon, they are heavier lenses. That being said there are some companies that have better glass, and glass is the key to quality.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024