Is shooting in RAW really needed?

12 years 9 months ago #87997 by Stealthy Ninja

Slick Man wrote:

Baydream wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Only if you're good. ;) :p

Seriously if you're still learning and/or don't have the programs to use it, then there's no point.

I beg to disagree. Shooting both RAW+jpeg gives even relative newcomers a comparison to begin practicing their editing skills with RAW. Since Picasa can handle RAW from almost every manufacturer, everyone can have the tools to begin learning.

But doesn't that take up double the space on camera then on computer?

Not double because jpeg is compressed.

IF you have lightroom or aperture (mac) just shoot RAW. As I said, if you don't have the programs like those (or Photoshop) there's no point shooting raw.

I will take back the "still learning" part of what I said though. If you're still learning (and have the programs) shoot RAW only. Jump in the deep end.

I wish I'd shot RAW since the beginning. I could go back and "fix" some of my older pictures with my new "skillz"
12 years 9 months ago #88103 by Henry Peach

MLKstudios wrote: ...get the white balance set perfectly though.

Or do what we did with film. Set it to daylight, and forget about it. :)
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #88209 by MLKstudios
HP, you didn't have all those LB filters? 80 A, 85 etc? They're still hiding in Photoshop.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 9 months ago #88227 by Henry Peach

MLKstudios wrote: HP, you didn't have all those LB filters? 80 A, 85 etc?

I've got them. They're at the bottom of the box of filters I never use anymore. Even back then they were dust collectors. I only shot tungsten when doing copy work so I never needed the 85. I didn't use the 80's often. No place I was shooting in was lit by photofloods. I didn't like what a Wratten 80 did to household incandescent bulbs. I'll just shoot BW, or bring my own lighting.
12 years 9 months ago #88231 by MLKstudios
I have them all in 4x4 holders. Wratten gels. Only needed in critical work with chrome film.

Often I wanted the light's colors in the image.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 9 months ago #88563 by jenniderd
I made the switch from .jpg to raw last fall and I used to take both, but since I've upgrade to a better PS, I like having the control of using a RAW file MUCH better. That said, if you like the images you're getting with .jpg, by all mean, use what you like best. When I'm taking snapshots with my point and shoot, I only have .jpgs, and I'm fine with that, but my professional work I only take RAW now.

12 years 9 months ago #88699 by Happy-pixel

jenniderd wrote: I made the switch from .jpg to raw last fall and I used to take both, but since I've upgrade to a better PS, I like having the control of using a RAW file MUCH better. That said, if you like the images you're getting with .jpg, by all mean, use what you like best. When I'm taking snapshots with my point and shoot, I only have .jpgs, and I'm fine with that, but my professional work I only take RAW now.

:thumbsup: your hooked!

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #89441 by Mindrebø
If storage keeps coming as cheap as these days (or even cheaper), I'll continue to shoot both. It gives me the freedom to choose as well as the safety of the original RAW file.

Grumblefish
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #89443 by quietguy
While I dont wish to disagree with you, I would point out that although HDs are cheap these days, you do need (at least) two of them as no way would you (well, me anyway) risk having your pics on only one hard drive. They do fail.

I always have one backup on my desk, and one backup in my car, for each type of media. That is I have six external Hds - two for photos, two for videos, one to backup my iMac documents folder, and one to backup all my software. The ones I carry in the car are those portable USB HDs that dont need a separate power supply, and take up very little room.

I learned my lesson some 20 years ago when I lost a whole month of accounts because I hadn't made a backup (and of course since then I haven't had a HD failure....but..)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024