What is the newest piece of Photography equipment you have bought?

12 years 10 months ago #86849 by ozman1865

Cre8tivefix wrote:

Nikonjan wrote:

ozman1865 wrote: Recently I picked up my first external flash. I wanted to give it a few shots and see how it was working before I talked about the purchase.

I had done some checking on flashes and after an extensive turmoil about what kind or what I wanted the flash to do I came to the conclusion to purchase the YongNuo YN468 Speedlite For Canon TTL digital cameras. I have not completely figured out the full flash capabilities yet but have used it to do some fill light work on several recent photo shoot with very good results. Thus far I have had no mis fires from this flash and seems to work well with the TTL and ETTL Portion with my canon 50D. Prior to purchase I wavered between the YN468 and the newer YN520 I believe it was not sure about the proper number of the later version. The YN468 seemed to be a better fit for the present time for my indulgance into Flash Photography. I have yet to use this as a remote flash but soon will purchase the required RC devices to use it as a remote and do some testing that way also. I did have a few concerns about going with the non canon version of a speedlite but it seems that YongNuo has done there research in making this accessory, and at 1/3 the price of the full blown canon equivalent. After purchase I had said to myself ...... how can I know this isn't as good as the canon or the million other brands out there unless i tried it and well since this is my first external flash for my 50D guess I can't say I can tell the difference. as time grows on me and time allows me greater divulagence into higher end equipment this will suffice. I have many years to catch up on as for the experience of many of you here on the site but we all have to start somewhere...... so this is my start into Flash photography and well looking forward to learning the full capabilities of this new purchase hope you all have a grand time shoot as I do. Thanks for reading my post

Jeff
Jeff Frazell Photography

Hadn't heard of that brand before, so did a search on Amazon to read reviews, Saw a couple bad ones but several good ones. Guess you can go there and write a review after you've tested it.

Cool, I just ordered YongNuo flash trigger / recievers. I'll let you know how those work out. (They aren't the TTL kind though since my flashes aren't TTL) If the brand holds up, their price will be well worth the risk in my book.

Thank you both for your comments. I also had checked the feedback from amazon among probably 6 other sites. What I saw as for the negative feebacks included probable defective items and most were corrected by warrant. I also noticed that several of the negatives came from previous Canon Flash owners whom I assume expect a lot more from the flash that I am requiring at the present time. Like I said prior I am beginning to get into flash photography and well for someone that has Zero experience with External flash this unit is wonderful. As I develop in this venue of photography. So with that said my demands of the Flash unit are very little and just looking for the most part get a bit of Flash for fill.

Can you tell me what version of their flash triggers you purchased and are preparing to test. I have several items book marked that are from this company and well thus far with my flash unit and the operation of it I am very pleased and looking for the day I can spend the extra cash to purchase the triggers as I am really wanting to get a remote shutter release also as I start to dabble into a bit more refined photography and well for some reason I am struggling with the simple task of pushing the button without moving the camera. I am working on it but still need the precision of the remote with the mirror lockup to get the really clear shots. so any info you can share will be greatly received from you Thanks again to you both

12 years 10 months ago #87195 by Scotty
Strongly thinking about a Nikon D3X.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #87197 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote: Strongly thinking about a Nikon D3X.

Buy it.
12 years 10 months ago #87199 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Buy it.

If the D4 is low MP, I will.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #87289 by haggis
Just bought one of the 64 LED lights from 7dayshop. Great alternative to a flash for close work. I used it on a couple of baby shoots recently and it was less distracting for them than a flash going off.
Also means you can experiment a lot more with camera settings when you don't have to consider sync speeds.
Next test will be first dance at a wedding where guests flashes are a nuisance.

If there's a 50-50 chance of getting it right there's a 90% chance you'll get it wrong!
12 years 10 months ago #87533 by Flash Steven
New lens cap from B&H

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #87575 by chasrich
I just poured $3.85 into my kit today. The reversing ring for the expected lens arrived. :)

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 10 months ago #87753 by Jerry Curtin
Joby Gorilla Pod

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #88185 by Happy Hour
Just bought a 1.7x teleconverter :banana:

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #88191 by photobod
Just ordered this, 1 "Macro Extension Tube Ring for Nikon DSLR Camera D3 D3S D3X D90 D3000 D3100 D5000 D5100 D7000"
Electronics; £8.50

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 10 months ago #88495 by Nikonjan
I just ordered a Lee Big Stopper ND Filter (10 stop) Glass 4x4. I just happened to see a blog from a photographer I follow and he used it. I had bought a while back some Cokin plastic ones but I think this will be much better. The only thing is it is backordered, so who knows when I will get it. Adorama had it for $129.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #88507 by chasrich
Nifty 50 f/1.4 - :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 10 months ago #88663 by KCook
OM to EOS lens adapter from Fotodiox. Now I can use my Olympus lenses (nearly 1/2 century old!) with my "new" Canon 50D. Manual mode natch. It works. And I'm stoked that I can use my old lenses again. My last experience with Adorama was underwhelming so I went looking for alternatives. Fotodiox is one of the sellers on Amazon. In fact the adapter was shipped from the Amazon warehouse here in Arizona. So far this experience with Fotodiox has been Ok, think I'm now weaned off of Adorama.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #88665 by MLKstudios
I have some old Zuiko lenses too that I would never sell. Great glass.

Over time, I've purchased more than a few items from Adorama, with no problems. But, I also have a Prime membership at Amazon, so 2 day with no shipping costs (on most items) and overnight for $4.00. And they have just about everything you can think of.

B&H and Calumet (I usually go to the store here) have also been good to me.

I got a tripod ordered, but not sure how long it will take. Fortunately, it isn't something I need right away (I have others). Just that the price was right (about half price) for something I'll use & cherish for a long, long time.

Matthew

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 10 months ago #88793 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Buy it.

If the D4 is low MP, I will.

Good point. I'll guess the D4 will be around the 18MP mark. Wouldn't be surprised if it went up to 21MP or something.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024