Where did you buy your camera?

10 years 4 weeks ago #8612 by NikkiG
OMG am I ever going to find a good deal. But then again I need to figure out what camera I'm going to buy. I keep going back and forth with Canon Rebel, Sony A560 or Nikon D5000.

Who are the top 10 biggest camera retailers?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 4 weeks ago #8644 by FMVPhotography
Hi NikkiG,

Just a suggestion - and not because I'm a brand freak but there is a reason Nikon and Canon are market leaders. Whichever camera you buy you will have to purchase lenses to go with it (the important bit) - thus go with a brand that will support your lenses from beginner to high end consumer and possibly beyond. I have seen so many of my fellow students who owned Sony Alphas and the like, have to sell all their equipment and start from scratch when they switch to Nikon or Canon....... BUY CHEAP, BUY TWICE!!!!

10 years 4 weeks ago #8653 by bhowdy
NikkiG,
FMV has given you great advice. As for the top retailers of camera gear ..... most folks that aren't fortunate enough to live near one of the big guys in a big city will eventually buy on the internet. Which is what I personally do. I would suggest the following sources (of course there are others, but I have not used them myself)

B&H Photo
Adorama
Beach Camera
Amazon
KEH (mostly used gear)

PS - I would also recommend starting with Canon or Nikon

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

The following user(s) said Thank You: FMVPhotography

10 years 4 weeks ago #8674 by Moe

bhowdy wrote: NikkiG,
FMV has given you great advice. As for the top retailers of camera gear ..... most folks that aren't fortunate enough to live near one of the big guys in a big city will eventually buy on the internet. Which is what I personally do. I would suggest the following sources (of course there are others, but I have not used them myself)

B&H Photo
Adorama
Beach Camera
Amazon
KEH (mostly used gear)

PS - I would also recommend starting with Canon or Nikon

These are pretty much all the ones I've used.

Photo Comments

10 years 4 weeks ago #8692 by Maverick V
Frankly FMV makes a great point. Honestly I would recommend either the Canon or Nikon. I picked up mine from BH Video, although Adorama along with a number of others are usually pretty good. Samy's, Beach Photo, 42 Street are a few others that have some good prices.

The following user(s) said Thank You: FMVPhotography

10 years 4 weeks ago #8696 by bhowdy
Always check out an online retailer that you are not familiar with by using Reseller Ratings (works for brick & mortar stores too)

Reseller Ratings

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

10 years 4 weeks ago #8739 by Scotty
BH of course, and I've used adorama for refurbished a lot, with great success.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

10 years 4 weeks ago #8926 by Vladimir
B&H Video and Adorama

Then used camera.com

Photo Comments

10 years 4 weeks ago #8927 by Stealthy Ninja

10 years 3 weeks ago #8963 by Rockin Joe

bhowdy wrote: Always check out an online retailer that you are not familiar with by using Reseller Ratings (works for brick & mortar stores too)

Reseller Ratings

Good information

10 years 3 weeks ago #8964 by Rockin Joe

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Kinefoto in Central (Hong Kong):

img\def

Kinefoto Hong Kong (new lens) by adrianevans , on Flickr

So how are the prices over there compared to in the states?

10 years 3 weeks ago #8969 by FMVPhotography
I'm not sure where in the world you are, but in the UK I tend to use Jessops. They may be a few quid above the online retailers but going into a shop, holding your first DSLR (that's what sold Nikon to me) and getting a feel for it is in my opinion - invaluable.... B)

10 years 3 weeks ago #8998 by Simon Says

Rockin Joe wrote:

img\def

I believe the prices are much lower, the down side is there are no warranties.

10 years 3 weeks ago #9000 by Jimmy
Another vote for b&h

10 years 3 weeks ago #9056 by Stealthy Ninja

Simon Says wrote:

Rockin Joe wrote:

img\def

I believe the prices are much lower, the down side is there are no warranties.

Well that depends. Nikon (and I believe Canon) products come with a Worldwide Warranty for lenses AFAIK. Bodies I'm not to sure about.

Of course the grey market stuff has no warranty.

For me it doesn't matter because I live here. :D

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a6100 has been out for over a year now. In this long-term Sony a6100 review, learn all about its features, specs, price, and more.

Jan 13, 2021

The Panasonic G85 might be a few years old, but it still has the specs and features to make it a highly useful camera. Get all the details in this Panasonic G85 review.

Jan 12, 2021

The Olympus OM-D E-M1 I is pushing eight years old, but for budget-minded photographers, it represents excellent value in 2021.

Jan 08, 2021

The Fujifilm X100v is the latest in the X100 series of compact cameras. Does this new version improve on its predecessors? Find out in this in-depth review.

Dec 31, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Processing landscape photos takes a good amount of time and effort. By educating yourself on tips for processing landscape photos, you can make the most of your editing time.

Jan 14, 2021

I got my first metal print from Printique about six weeks ago. In this Printique metal print review, learn why this might be the best metal print I've ever gotten.

Jan 13, 2021

Use these highly effective real estate photography tips to take better images of properties that help improve its chances of getting sold.

Jan 13, 2021

The Sony a6100 has been out for over a year now. In this long-term Sony a6100 review, learn all about its features, specs, price, and more.

Jan 13, 2021

Use these photography ideas to find your creativity, get organized, and utilize your time at home wisely.

Jan 12, 2021

Cropping in photography is much more than resizing an image. Instead, learning how to crop landscape photos can greatly impact the quality of the composition.

Jan 12, 2021

The Panasonic G85 might be a few years old, but it still has the specs and features to make it a highly useful camera. Get all the details in this Panasonic G85 review.

Jan 12, 2021

There are plenty of camera settings for beginners to learn. However, these important camera settings should be at the top of your list.

Jan 08, 2021