Separated from the Herd

12 years 9 months ago #92717 by The Time Capturer
In October of 2010, I photographed my first Mountain Bike race. Even though it was pouring rain all day, there were several other photographers present. I found this intimidating at first but, before long, I realized I was the only one that ventured into the trails to get the action shots. Everyone else just hung around in the parking lot. But that's my style of photography. I need to be part of the action, to get hit by flying rocks, get splashed by water and mud. It's what I enjoy and what sets me apart from many other photographers.

What do you do that separates you from the herd?

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
Attachments:
12 years 9 months ago #92827 by Jeffster
Great shot, I like that you ventured into the wooded trail, let's see more of these photos :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #92831 by Johnnie
Excellent - well done!

12 years 9 months ago #92857 by Mah and PaH
I just love the DOF you used on this photo

12 years 9 months ago #92939 by Street Shark
Nice work, I would bet your photos showed more of the "good stuff" then the other photographers in the parking lot. :beerbang:

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #92951 by nikonguy
Nice capture...BUT there is the difference of being ALOWED to get close like that and then there is the safety factor of it all...you got lucky...A lot of times there are safety people that dont let you get close like that and for that reason, thats why they were in the parking lot...this sort of thing doesnt happen all the time...like i said you were a lucky one

12 years 9 months ago #92955 by kyclover237
I went off-roading a few weeks ago - man was that muddy! While running to capture a vehicle really throwing the mud around, I hit a rut full of mud and fell flat on my ass! Saved the camera though and was laughing so hard at myself I missed the picture.

vintagecloverphoto.com
[email protected]

12 years 9 months ago #92969 by fgo
Nice shot. Always separate yourself from the herd is a great rule of thumb.

Only when I am on some kind of mission to capture the finish line shot or when there are highly restrictive limitations the like do I find myself near the other shooters. Most often, you can gain access to restricted areas by planning ahead, contacting the organization how to gain a media pass. Sometimes this means agreeing to share some of your shots with the organization. But in general, most organizations are thrilled to have people shooting their event.

Keep following the trail less traveled!

Steve Kotvis
f/go photography
focused on amateur athletes on the go

www.elemenoP.us/f-go.html
Facebook: f/go
Twitter: f/go
Blog: f-go.blogspot

12 years 9 months ago #92981 by Rob pix4u2
I agree that you should try and separate yourself from the herd- you get the more interesting shots that way

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 9 months ago #92985 by chasrich
Great shot... Yes, often times the best place to be is away from the worn, true track others take. The photos the others took are literally a dime a dozen.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #93069 by photobod
Impressive stuff. good composition and DoF, getting down and dirty is what photography is all about.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 9 months ago #93171 by The Time Capturer

nikonguy wrote: Nice capture...BUT there is the difference of being ALOWED to get close like that and then there is the safety factor of it all...you got lucky...A lot of times there are safety people that dont let you get close like that and for that reason, thats why they were in the parking lot...this sort of thing doesnt happen all the time...like i said you were a lucky one

I had been in contact with one of the organizers before the event and he gave me some tips such as which trails would be used for the event (they're not made public to prevent locals from practicing them) so I could plan ahead. However, there were no restrictions whatsoever for anyone.

I had never done this type of photography so it was a trial to see if I could and I got an ego boosting comment on my website from one of the racers stating the photographers usually don't get very good pictures of her but I managed to. That's what made it all worth it.

The picture above, btw was taken from ground level while I was laying down.

Thank you everyone for the comments.

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 9 months ago #93229 by Homer
:judge: Nice work

12 years 4 months ago #167188 by rocktroll
Nice shot!

12 years 4 months ago #167193 by fm48
Very good shot and post:judge:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024