Why don't people like shooting in program mode?

12 years 9 months ago #99847 by Dave Burburry
Everyone that I know frowns on shooting in program mode. Personally I have not ventured into program mode, now it's pretty close to being full auto mode isn't it?

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #99849 by mj~shutterbugg
As far as I know it's auto with some tweaks. I never head there myself, DH on the other hand...

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 9 months ago #99869 by Nikonjan
Program isn't much different than Auto, it selects everything for you. Although you can decide if you want to pop up the flash or not, where auto will do it automatically. I prefer to shoot on Apeture so I can control depth of field but it will select the shutter speed or if I need to make sure I have a fast shutter speed I will go with Shutter. If I'm using flash I will go with manual.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 9 months ago #99871 by The Time Capturer
The problem with program mode is lack of creativity. If you want to freeze the action or blur the background, you are relying on the camera to make that decision for you and it tends to disappoint.

I use it on occasion with the kids when they are engaged in an activity that is constantly changing at a rapid pace. I would miss a lot of captured moments if I had to keep changing the camera settings.

Generally, I use shutter priority or, for nature closeups, aperture priority for blurry backgrounds.

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 9 months ago #99931 by Dave Burburry
So it's a glorified auto mode after all :whistle:

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #99945 by The Time Capturer
I have never really looked at the differences, but the big one for me is I can shoot RAW images in "priority" but not "auto."

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 9 months ago #99967 by Graflex 4x5
Using Program or Auto for me is like trying to tie your shoe laces with your thumbs tied together .... Rather restricted.

As with the other posters, I need to have control of how I take an image, which AF zone is active, metering mode even which white balance I use. In auto or Prog. mode, I can't even control the camera's pop up flash or ISO setting ... the camera does all the thinking.

So for me, it's a lack of creative control that keeps me away from those modes.

No matter how fast I go, there's always someone slower in front of me.
12 years 9 months ago #99979 by Vespista
I tend to stick with Manual rather than Program, but mainly because I'm trying to learn all I can.
A friend laughs at me and says "P for Pro and M for Moron"!
How rude.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #99995 by The Time Capturer
Definitely nothing moronic about knowing how to set the camera to capture the images the way you intend them to be captured.

12 years 9 months ago #100001 by Stealthy Ninja

Vespista wrote: I tend to stick with Manual rather than Program, but mainly because I'm trying to learn all I can.
A friend laughs at me and says "P for Pro and M for Moron"!
How rude.

Tell him he got it wrong, it's P for Probational and M for Master.

We all know a "Pro" is an amateur with good marketing anyway.
12 years 9 months ago #100037 by Chilli
P=Problem for me. I like to have control over what the camera does.

12 years 9 months ago #100039 by Stealthy Ninja

Chilli wrote: P=Problem for me. I like to have control over what the camera does.

Personally I like to let mine roam free in the mountains. :thumbsup:
12 years 9 months ago #100047 by Rob pix4u2
For me manual is the way to go, that what light meters are for and I like to set the camera up for the image that I want. Shooting in program doesn't work real well in sports

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 9 months ago #100055 by KCook
I sometimes do use Program mode. The difference from Auto mode is that Program gives you access to all of the camera's settings. Auto is usually very restricted. The difference from Manual is that Program makes the initial settings for you. Quicker than fussing with the EV error scale and pointer. If you already have a firm idea of what the aperture or shutter speed needs to be, then no point in using Program mode. If you see aperture and shutter speeds as rubber bands, then Program mode may get you to an acceptable setup quicker. Depends on the situation and just how fussy you are.

But calling Program mode as the same as Auto mode is really lame. The differences are pretty serious.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #100103 by MLKstudios
I use P along with the EV setting, sometimes. Depends what I am shooting.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024