Why don't people like shooting in program mode?

12 years 9 months ago #100141 by Baydream

KCook wrote: I sometimes do use Program mode. The difference from Auto mode is that Program gives you access to all of the camera's settings. Auto is usually very restricted. The difference from Manual is that Program makes the initial settings for you. Quicker than fussing with the EV error scale and pointer. If you already have a firm idea of what the aperture or shutter speed needs to be, then no point in using Program mode. If you see aperture and shutter speeds as rubber bands, then Program mode may get you to an acceptable setup quicker. Depends on the situation and just how fussy you are.

But calling Program mode as the same as Auto mode is really lame. The differences are pretty serious.

Kelly Cook

:goodpost:
It takes time to learn manual. In the meantime, you can use the pre-sets and program to learn how the camera reacts to various settings buy reviewing EXIF data.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #100299 by Casey T
I don't think I have ever used program mode :whistle:

For me, Manual mode, Aperture and Shutter priority are the only settings I use.

My Passion is being behind my camera and my family.
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #100307 by robbie
I uses Aperture Priority at ISO 400 for birds at f8,if shutterspeed too low I either push up the ISO
or use a bigger F-stop but no Program mode.
For landscapes ISO 100-200,at least F10 with EV compensation since there will be clouds,shutterspeed not that important.

12 years 9 months ago #100369 by mj~shutterbugg

KCook wrote: I sometimes do use Program mode. The difference from Auto mode is that Program gives you access to all of the camera's settings. Auto is usually very restricted. The difference from Manual is that Program makes the initial settings for you. Quicker than fussing with the EV error scale and pointer. If you already have a firm idea of what the aperture or shutter speed needs to be, then no point in using Program mode. If you see aperture and shutter speeds as rubber bands, then Program mode may get you to an acceptable setup quicker. Depends on the situation and just how fussy you are.

But calling Program mode as the same as Auto mode is really lame. The differences are pretty serious.

Kelly Cook

I never knew all that- thanks Kelly!

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 9 months ago #100421 by Nikonjan

The Time Capturer wrote: I have never really looked at the differences, but the big one for me is I can shoot RAW images in "priority" but not "auto."

I had to check what camera you shoot with. My Nikon D300 shoots RAW in Auto. I just verified it.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 9 months ago #100625 by The Time Capturer
Hmmm. That's interesting. Does that mean priority mode may be different on different cameras, or at least different makes?

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 9 months ago #100773 by KCook
Not quite. It's actually the Auto mode that can have differences. And many here are comparing Program to Auto. For example: some Auto modes allow for user set ISO, some are limited to Auto ISO. But every Program mode I've come across will let you set any ISO you want, including Auto ISO.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 9 months ago #101019 by Henry Peach
It just doesn't think like me. There are situations I think would be perfect for it, like today at the zoo, but I always get frustrated and go back to M and Av. I like cameras that shut-up, and do like they're told. ;)
12 years 9 months ago #101029 by Rob pix4u2
I agree with HP and prefer to telll the camera what I want rather than the other way around

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 9 months ago #101049 by KCook
It would be nice if my camera offered choices for different AE profiles in the Program mode. But it isn't that advanced a camera. I use Program once in a while, not all the time.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 9 months ago #101063 by The Time Capturer
Thank you Dave Burburry for creating this thread. I've never used auto mode except once when my thumb accidentally moved the dial. But I do use program mode on occasion as noted above. I have never known the difference between the two as it was never info I needed to know. But, thanks to KCook and his knowledge concerning this, I will now be doing some manual browsing to get a more detailed picture (no pun intended) of my own camera if this question ever comes up in my dealings with clients.

Today, I turned a year older, and I'm now a little wiser as well.

Thank you everyone for all the input.

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 7 months ago #139234 by idlose
I am new to photography and as of yet do not have a DSLR. I have a high end point and shoot that allows me to choose program, manual, aperature, shutter etc...I was only shooting in auto (i know...slap of the forehead here) but now I shoot mainly in aperature mode or manual. I have never used P mode so it is nice to know what it was for. I have been shooting for approximately 4 months now and everything is self taught, so thanks for the clarification on what this mode is for!! :thumbsup:
12 years 7 months ago #139331 by Joves
Well I havent ever used it yet to tell the truth. I shoot mostly in M, and then I go to A on occasion but watch the shutter speed when using it. With Aperture even I notice I have to adjust the EV depending on the light I have. Which is why I shoot in M most of the time because I can compensate easier.

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #139347 by MLKstudios
Once you go off of M the camera will give you the same exposures in A, S or P (Av, Tv or P). To change the Exposure Value (or brightness) you must change the ambient EV setting. It will be applied to the one or both of the exposure controls.

P lets the camera set both f/stop and shutter in advanced, and you can then use the dial to switch to the setting you want.

I use it along with A (but not often S).

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago #139581 by Conner

Casey T wrote: I don't think I have ever used program mode :whistle:

For me, Manual mode, Aperture and Shutter priority are the only settings I use.

Same with me

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024