NEX-3, Rainbow Imaging lens mount adapter, & Nikon manual focus lenses

12 years 3 months ago #184700 by Henry Peach
I'm really starting to like my NEX-3. The only problem was the lack of a selection of fast lenses for low light shooting, and my lack of funds to purchase the ones that are out there. :( Since I already had a variety of manual focus Nikon lenses I checked out lens adapters, and eventually went for the Rainbow Imaging (RJ) Nikon - NEX adapter . It had the perfect combination of low price (about $20) and I didn't find any bitchy reviews. ;) There is also a (FJ) Nikon-NEX adapter that's a couple bucks cheaper. I'm not sure what the difference is; possibly the lens release switch?

I've tried the adapter with an AI-s 50mm f/1.4 and an E series 100 f/2.8. With either lens the camera is about the same size as with the standard zoom. They are heavier. The adapter fits on the camera nicely. The Nikon lenses go on the adapter a bit stiff, but I think it will wear in nicely. "Release w/o lens" must be enabled in the menu. I tried the lenses at their largest aperture and stopped down one. Manual focusing was easy with the focus peaking and MF assist features. I'm very happy. The results are what I hoped to see. The adapter works fine and the lenses are easy to use and very sharp on the NEX. I'll post some pics soon.
12 years 3 months ago #189474 by Wild Mitch
Have you looked at KEH for used? They some times have some good deals on lenses. But then again Sony lenses with them can be slim pickings at times.

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #189580 by Stealthy Ninja
You see the Fuji Pro X-1?

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...ro-styling-announced

That looks like it's gonna be awesome and they'll have a 35 1.4 lens (FF 50 1.4 around about).

Totally awesome looking too.
12 years 3 months ago #189709 by Henry Peach

Stealthy Ninja wrote: You see the Fuji Pro X-1?

That looks awesome, but unless I win the lottery I can't justify the price. I'm using $20 lens adapters because I can't afford to spend $300 on the actual lens for the camera I have. :) I wouldn't even have a Sony NEX if I hadn't won that KEH gift certificate. Fortunately I got used to hauling large cameras around when I shot film. I like small cameras, but I can live with carrying a DSLR if it means saving thousands of dollars.
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #189713 by Henry Peach

Wild Mitch wrote: Have you looked at KEH for used? They some times have some good deals on lenses. But then again Sony lenses with them can be slim pickings at times.

The NEX uses it's own mount, so Sony DSLR lenses also need an adapter.

I have been looking for used Nikon lenses, but unfortunately since they fit on DSLRs the prices have gone up. I've been thinking about buying another $20 adapter, but I haven't decided what mount. I don't want to deal with too many adapters so I need to pick the right one. I've been considering Pentax K, but I'm afraid I'll run into the same problem as with the Nikon. Maybe Canon FD or M42 mount, but those lenses aren't very small or light. There are Leica mount options too, but of course all those lenses tend to be way too expensive. Although I might look into some of the USSR versions.

Some of the Nikon E series lenses have pretty good optical quality, and they are uncool among Nikon users because they are considered cheap and plastic, so I'm hoping to find some deals on them. They are small and light which makes them perfect for my NEX.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024