Camera settings for printing pictures up to 11x14 with Sony A350

12 years 1 week ago #220253 by bltindiana
I would like to have my pictures to print at larger sizes than 5x7. However, when I process the picture in Smugmug I continue to get "it's to small for that size". The pictures are reviewed in Lightroom 3.6 and saved at quality of 96. What do I need to have the Sony set to to get the bigger prints?

12 years 1 week ago #220311 by KCook
I don't have Lightroom, but "quality" usually refers to JPG compression, not image size. You need to first take the photo with the camera set to its largest size (resolution). Then make sure the JPG that is being submitted for printing is still that size.

As a last resort a small image can be re-sized larger (smaller is more common for re-sizing) to reach a needed size. But that usually degrades the quality of the image.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 6 days ago #220484 by mattmoran
Like Kelly says, make sure you have your camera set to store as much info as possible. If you are using lightroom, there is no reason not to be shooting RAW. If you are shooting JPEG, you want image quality set to "Fine". Also, from what I can see on dpreview, there is a menu item for "Image Size". Make sure it is set to "L:14M" (Large - 14 megapixel.)

When you export from lightroom to smugmug for printing, make sure you send a full size image (not scaled down). Either send a tiff or a jpeg with quality set to 100%.

There is no reason a 14mp DSLR like the Sony A350 can't produce beautiful 11"x14" prints.

-Matt
12 years 4 days ago - 12 years 4 days ago #221121 by bltindiana
I appreciate the time you are giving me on topic thank you in advance.

1. In Kelly's comment "make sure you are set at the largest resolution". My lightroom setting is resolution 72, what would the largest be?

2. When I have my camera set to RAW which is what I most alway use, it doesn't allow you to change the image size. So I set it while as JPG, then switch to RAW, but don't know if that clears the L:12 setting.

12 years 4 days ago #221123 by bltindiana
Smugmug doesn't want to accept the Tiff, so it uploads as JPG.

12 years 4 days ago #221160 by KCook
"72" sounds more like the DPI setting for prints, not really the same thing as image resolution. The A350 has a max image resolution of 4,592 x 3,056 pixels. So long as you keep to that resolution, including for the JPG for uploads, large prints should not be a problem.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 4 days ago #221236 by mattmoran
:agree:
The DPI is irrelevant. The printer will ignore whatever you set for that and set the dpi based on the file size and print size. When you export, make sure you are exporting "full size" images.

-Matt
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #225557 by Henry Peach

bltindiana wrote: However, when I process the picture in Smugmug I continue to get "it's to small for that size".

Somehow you are uploading low res files. If you are sure your camera is set to maximum resolution then the photo size is being reduced somewhere in processing. For instance check your Lightroom export settings. You may have them set to reduce it to a small size that's more appropriate for web viewing.

bltindiana wrote: My lightroom setting is resolution 72, what would the largest be?

DPI or PPI is printing scale. If you have a 1000x1000 resolution photo, and print it at 100 ppi then the print would be 10"x10". If you print the same 1000x1000 resolution photo, and print it at 10 ppi then the print would be 100"x100". You just need to make sure you are uploading the full resolution (whatever 14mp is) file. Whether it's 72 ppi or 300 ppi shouldn't matter as long as the file is not being resampled (reduced or increased from the #### x #### that comes out of the camera).

bltindiana wrote: 2. When I have my camera set to RAW which is what I most alway use, it doesn't allow you to change the image size. So I set it while as JPG, then switch to RAW, but don't know if that clears the L:12 setting.

Raw is almost always maximum resolution. Some cameras do offer smaller sized raw files, but it's usually called sraw, or something like that.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024