- Photography and Camera Forum
- Camera Manufacturers - by Brand
- Sony Camera Forum
- Sony Camera Review: Did Sony Drop the ball with the NEX-6?
Sony Camera Review: Did Sony Drop the ball with the NEX-6?
The folks with "DigitalRev' bring to you a hands on review of
Sony's newest NEX-6
. Scroll down for additional details.
Sony NEX-6 Features
- Pocket camera with professional-grade performance
- 16 MP APS-C sensor with up to 10 fps shooting and Full HD video
- Fast Hybrid AF includes phase-detection for DSLR-like focus
- Bright XGA OLED viewfinder for 100% coverage
- Wi-Fi sharing and downloadable camera apps
- DSLR-like operation with new intuitive Quick Navi controls
- Multi-interface Smart Accessory Shoe for system accessories
- Built-in Guide Number 6 flash brightens the scene
- 11 exciting Picture Effects for stills and videos
- Photo Creativity for easy image adjustments
- 16.1 MP APS-C size HD image sensor: The same sensor format that Sony builds into the full-sized ? DSLRs. With 13 times the area of the typical point-and-shoot image sensor, APS-C makes the difference between "snapshots" and "photographs," delivering an exceptional combination of high resolution, high sensitivity and gorgeous, blurred backgrounds.
- Fast Hybrid AF: Sony's advanced Fast Hybrid AF combines two technologies for outstanding performance: Phase detection AF for quick response that is ideal when tracking fast-moving subjects and contrast-detection AF for added precision. A perfect match that delivers optimal Auto Focus for fast, precise focusing in any scene.
- XGA Tru-Finder OLED: This eye-level, through-the-lens, viewfinder begins with 2359K dots for amazing resolution and high contrast ratio for incredible depth. OLED reduces motion blur to a bare minimum. You can also see the results of camera adjustments in real time with superb color and detail.
- Wi-Fi Sharing: Wi-Fi capability - a first for Alpha-series - lets users transfer photos directly to smartphones and tablets with the PlayMemories Mobile app. Wi-Fi capability allows for sharing, viewing and saving photos for expanded photo-shooting enjoyment. Photos can be easily transferred to smartphones and tablets, or viewed on TV/PCs.
- Advanced Control Dial: Mode control dial and Quick Navi assure quick an intuitive operation comparable to DSLR cameras Control dial, Fn (function) button and touch screen (including touch shutter function) combine to greatly facilitate operation and speed getting the shot.
- New Multi-Interface Shoe: Unlike conventional cameras, the NEX-6 features a newly developed Multi-Interface Shoe that dramatically expands compatibility with Handycam accessories, thus raising the potential for photo/movie shooting.
- Built-in GN6 Pop-up Flash: A built-in Guide Number 6 flash is located on top of the camera. It is ideal for dimly lit settings and can be used as a fill flash when shooting in bright sunshine or to produce catch lights in portraits. The flash combines with ultra-high ISO 2500 and a large APS-C HD CMOS sensor for stunning low-light photos.
- Picture Effect mode: The Photo Creativity interface enables creative expression of SLR-quality digital imaging without the complicated settings. Changes can be easily made using the control dial with results seen in real time on the LCD. Settings include; Background Defocus, Brightness, Color, Vividness and most Picture Effects.
- Auto Portrait Framing: Simply photograph a person and Auto Portrait Framing will save an additional, optimally framed image in portrait or landscape orientation. Combining Face Detection and By Pixel Super Resolution technologies with rule of thirds, Auto Portrait Framing provides beautifully composed and full resolution portraits.
- Clear Image Zoom: Utilizing Sony's exclusive By Pixel Super Resolution Technology, Clear Image Zoom increases the effective focal length of your lens up to 2x by digitally magnifying the center of your image with nearly imperceptible degradation. It virtually doubles the effective focal length of whatever lens you're using.
- Convenient USB charging: Easily recharge the camera via USB charging. Simply connect the bundled USB cable and recharge the battery without removing it from the camera, either via AC outlet or PC connection.
- Full HD Movies at 60p/60i/24p: Capture HD Movies in your choice of super-smooth 60p, standard 60i or cinematic 24p, all at Full HD 1920x1080 resolution. AVCHD codec delivers stunning picture quality. MP4 codec offers smaller files for easier upload to the web.
- Auto HDR built into camera: High Dynamic Range (HDR) photography captures more scene contrast than a single exposure can handle by combining the best highlight detail from one shot and the best shadow detail from another for one incredible shot. Handles severe backlighting and other high-contrast scenes. Captures in a split second.
- 6-image layering: The camera leverages the large, APS-C image sensor and captures six images in a fraction of a second. The camera then combines the data from the 6 different images up to ISO 25600 to create a single image. This helps control blur in Anti-Motion Blur mode or to get cleaner nighttime pictures in Hand-held Twilight mode.
- Sweep Panorama Technology: Capture expansive landscapes automatically. Press the shutter, sweep vertically or horizontally. The camera does the rest, continuously shooting images and stitching them together. Up to 23 MP image size. Up to 202 degrees maximum sweep angle (16mm focal length).
- Anti Motion Blur mode: Corrects for subject movement to capture amazingly clean and sharp images in low light. The camera leverages the large, APS-C image sensor and captures six images in a fraction of a second. Combining the data from all six creates a single image that minimizes subject blur.
- Intelligent Auto Focus: Pre-focuses as you compose the shot, further reducing focusing time to a bare minimum.
- Peaking AF display: The Peaking AF display makes precise manual focusing much easier by highlighting the edges that are in focus in your choice of three colors (white, red, or yellow). This is especially helpful during macro or portrait photography where your focal plane can make or break your shot.
- Manual Focus Assist: Greatly magnifies the viewfinder image when you touch the focus ring, making it easy to get razor-sharp images. Works with E-mount lenses only.
- Enhanced Tracking Focus: Tracking Focus continuously tracks a user-designated subject and is now more effective at tracking people. If the subject turns away from the camera, face-detection tracking automatically switches to subject tracking and continues tracking.
- Face Detection technology: The camera can automatically detect up to eight individual faces and adjust focus, exposure, white balance and flash to help deliver crisp, properly lit images of family and friends. Can prioritize children or adults.
- Smile Shutter technology: Captures a smile the moment it happens. Simply select the Smile Shutter mode and the camera takes the picture automatically. You can prioritize children or adults and adjust the smile sensitivity.
- D-Range Optimizer (DRO): Improves results with backlit subjects and recovers details hidden in shadows. Settings include Auto, Level with a choice of five operating levels and Off.
- Creative Styles (6 modes): Control how the camera processes your images with six finishing styles: Standard, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset and B&W. You can even fine- tune contrast, saturation, and sharpness to your personal taste.
- PhotoTV HD compatibility: Optimizes compatible BRAVIA® televisions for gorgeous display of digital pictures.
- MS Duo/ SD slot: For cost-effective, convenient storage and sharing of your images, the camera accepts Memory Stick PRO Duo/Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo and SD/SDHC media (Class 4 or higher recommended), (Memory card is required, all are sold separately).
- Anti-dust sensor: Anti-Dust Technology helps keep the CMOS sensor clean, resulting in consistently clear pictures. First a static-free coating on the sensor's low-pass filter helps repel dust. Then vibration automatically dislodges dust from the sensor.
View more details on the Sony NEX-6 HERE.
And had interchangeable lenses.
I am tempted by Sony here, but seriously. My experience with their crappy customer service makes me say a definite no.
Sony, if you're reading this. Please overhaul your customer service. I would have spent literally thousands on Sony gear if it weren't for that. Instead I mainly go Canon (I'm talking video stuff).
Well Sony has already thrown in the towel on memory cards, switched from the Stick to SD or whatever. With the NEX-6 they finally switched to the standard hotshoe. Now if they would just switch to the EF-S mount, I would be taking Sony a whole lot more seriously.