Follow      Your Account   |   Login

emo Sigma 30mm f/2.8 EX DN for Sony E mount

2 years 8 months ago #265631

Short lens review: Sigma 30mm f/2.8 EX DN for Sony E mount & M 4/3 mount.

I've had this lens for just a few days. I'm using it on a Sony NEX -3. A fantastic, little lens for the price ($150 @ B&H, Adorama...). Image quality is excellent. Better than the Sony lenses I have. Looks really good in the corners even at f/2.8. Nice size: 1/2 way between the Sony 18-55 and the Sony 16mm. This will probably be the lens that stays on my NEX.

I was wary to read of "thunking" caused by a loose lens element in many of the reviews. Apparently this is how the lens was designed. A floating element moves slightly when the lens is un-powered. I read some griping about this, but with the lens in my hand it's not a big deal at all. Some reviews bitch about the plastic construction, but it seems quite soundly built to me.

My only gripe: I wish Sigma had skipped the fancy lens case, and included a lens hood instead. I never use these fancy cases.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 8 months ago #265749

I'm surprised to hear of a new Sigma with a price that low! Wish my 10-20 had been priced like that.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

2 years 8 months ago #265767

When I started out I had nothing but disdain for Sigma products. I have become a true believer. The Sigma lenses I've used since switching to digital have been some of my favorites.