Does anyone shoot with a Sony?

10 years 6 months ago #297968 by NormNYC
My D70 shutter clunked out on me and I'm ready to pull the trigger on a99 and want to know if there are many professional photographers who shoot with a Sony? How about in general? I have played around with the camera in the store and there is always good buzz in the Sony store (go figure). What about in the real world, are these a good camera?

10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #297979 by Stealthy Ninja
The ONLY two people I know who shoot Sony are an ex-Minolta guy and Mike Yamashita (National Geographic photographer). The ex-Minolta guy isn't a professional and Mike is sponsored by Sony.

The only real reason to go Sony is... I guess if you're into video... maybe if you have some Minolta lenses floating around...

I hate the way Sony does white balance. Always seems way too yellow. They have a pretty cool flash though. Interesting design.

As for the A99... I tried it and it's not that good. Get a D800e if you're spending that sort of money. WAY better camera (I owned a D800 and D800e at the same time for a while). Heck a D600 would be better.

There's a good buzz in the Sony Store because of all the other products there. I wouldn't buy a camera based on "buzz"

PS about a year ago (I guess it was a year ago) I switched back to Canon from Nikon. I considered Sony and after the a99 came out and I tried it, decided against it.
10 years 6 months ago #298030 by KCook
Wut SN said :thumbsup:

My first DSLR was a cheap Sony. Decent camera, but the 3rd party support was way behind Canikon, so I caved in and went with Canon. Cherry pick the consumer Sonys, including NEX, and there are a few models that are attractive. But at the pro level, very tough sell.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 6 months ago #299411 by SeoirseBrennan
I shoot Sony... well, the NEX I shoot.
All these > 500px(dot)com/SeoirseBrennan I shot with a NEX C3
Great potential in Sony and the new A7 that will be soon out... incredible imo.

10 years 6 months ago #299628 by Skipjohnk
Hey,
I use a Sony A300, A200, and a A37. I started with a Minolta 7D that when it was cold the mirror would hang open. I use to cut it off and the cut it back on. I love my Sonys, If its sticking you should get it overhauled or go for that 99, thats a hot camera. Be Blessed!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lojeada
10 years 5 months ago #302385 by Linda Duncan

Stealthy Ninja wrote: The ONLY two people I know who shoot Sony are an ex-Minolta guy and Mike Yamashita (National Geographic photographer). The ex-Minolta guy isn't a professional and Mike is sponsored by Sony.

The only real reason to go Sony is... I guess if you're into video... maybe if you have some Minolta lenses floating around...

I hate the way Sony does white balance. Always seems way too yellow. They have a pretty cool flash though. Interesting design.

As for the A99... I tried it and it's not that good. Get a D800e if you're spending that sort of money. WAY better camera (I owned a D800 and D800e at the same time for a while). Heck a D600 would be better.

There's a good buzz in the Sony Store because of all the other products there. I wouldn't buy a camera based on "buzz"

PS about a year ago (I guess it was a year ago) I switched back to Canon from Nikon. I considered Sony and after the a99 came out and I tried it, decided against it.

I was thinking about the a99, what about it didn't you like? I have ready so many good reviews about this camera. The only negatives that stuck out over and over was people talking about the bulkyness of the camera's body. I would really like to hear your opinion on this. Thank you

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #307533 by Mike Ayrouth
Nex 5 that I'm selling to buy a NEX 7

Getting BETTER one photo at a time!
Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #307563 by Stealthy Ninja

Linda Duncan wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: The ONLY two people I know who shoot Sony are an ex-Minolta guy and Mike Yamashita (National Geographic photographer). The ex-Minolta guy isn't a professional and Mike is sponsored by Sony.

I was thinking about the a99, what about it didn't you like? I have ready so many good reviews about this camera. The only negatives that stuck out over and over was people talking about the bulkyness of the camera's body. I would really like to hear your opinion on this. Thank you

Didn't like the electronic viewfinder. Felt cheaply built for the price. The D800e and 5Diii has better image quality for the price and feels stronger. White balance is really weird on Sony. The look of the video doesn't match the Canon equipment I have (video camera).

IMHO why go for Sony with it's quirky design and poor high ISO noise when you can go Canon or Nikon and get known quality.

:kmonst:
10 years 5 months ago #307567 by Stealthy Ninja

Mike Ayrouth wrote: Nex 5 that I'm selling to buy a NEX 7

:kmonst: Why not a Luna?
10 years 5 months ago #308691 by Patrick Harkness

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Linda Duncan wrote:

Didn't like the electronic viewfinder. Felt cheaply built for the price. The D800e and 5Diii has better image quality for the price and feels stronger. White balance is really weird on Sony. The look of the video doesn't match the Canon equipment I have (video camera).

IMHO why go for Sony with it's quirky design and poor high ISO noise when you can go Canon or Nikon and get known quality.

Don't they have that 4k video now?

10 years 5 months ago #309179 by Kelly Lambert

Mike Ayrouth wrote: Nex 5 that I'm selling to buy a NEX 7

Sent you message. Let me know what you want for that NEX5

Nikon D700: 50mm, 14-24mm, 85mm, 105mm 70-200mm, 150-500mm (Sigma), SB-900
Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #310509 by ren_murray
I have been shooting Sony cameras for several years now, and love them. Those who say the a99 isn't as good haven't spent enough time with the Sony to make such a statement. I own the a99, and have used it in the the studio, as well as weddings, etc.

The EVF is wonderful, especially for weddings. You can do things much quicker since what you see in the viewfinder is what you are shooting, right down to exposure and white balance. Also, when you want to examine a photo you just took on a sunny day and you are having a hard time seeing it in the back of the camera, just bring your eye to the EVF and enjoy what no Canon or Nikon shooter can...a glare free preview of your photo. You can zoom in to check sharpness as easily as viewing it on a monitor. Does it take a little time to get used to an electronic viewfinder after shooting with an optical viewfinder for a long time? Of course, it takes about a day. For me, I will never go back to an optical viewfinder. The advantages I enjoy now would too hard to give up.

The WB is fine, what professional is shooting jpegs anyway? If you are shooting RAW and using LR or Aperture, you are correcting your WB in post.

The ergonomics of Sony cameras is a personal thing. If you like the way an old Minolta feels in your hand, you'll love the Sony. Its similar to Nikon in that regard. If you prefer the blocky Canon feel, you may not like the feel of the Sony.

High ISO is great on the a99, contrary to what was said above. I have done side-by-side testing with the Canon 5D MKIII and they are nearly identical up to 3200/6400 at 100% magnification. In a normal size print you can't tell them apart. I repeat, you CANNOT tell them apart! Anyone who wants to pixel peep at 100% can point out that the Sony is a bit noisier at high ISO. Great, but that isn't real world viewing and its ridiculous. If you're a pixel peeper and you shoot in a lot of very dark places at 6400 ISO and above, this isn't the camera for you. If you are a normal photographer who enjoys a tool that is more than capable of producing breathtakingly detailed images, you'll love the a99.

By the way, a feature that has become vital for me is the flip out screen. There isn't anything like it on the market from Canon or Nikon. I no longer have to lay on the ground to compose shots from low angles, and I can flip the screen down to shoot above the heads of people on a dance floor. I have stuck my arm out with the screen flipped to the side so I can compose a shot without leaving my seat (important during Catholic wedding ceremonies).

Pros that shoot Sony include Nigel Barker and Brian Smith, and I even heard that Gary Fong switched to Sony for whatever that's worth. Am I a pro? In a sense I am, as I make my living with my gear, although I am not a big name, or high profile shooter. That being said, I am not sponsored by Sony and I can shoot whatever I want. I choose to stick with Sony because the cameras I own meet my needs better than the comparably priced Cannons or Nikons.

The only issue I have ever had from any of my Sony cameras was a shutter that failed on my a700 a few years ago. I put close to 200,000 actuations on a shutter that was rated for half of that.

As for lens selection and third party support, would someone please tell me what it is that you can get for a Canon or Nikon that you can't get for a Sony? Yes, Sony has the smallest lens selection of the three manufacturers, but all of the needs for almost any photographer are covered. By the way, I have some 25-30 year old Minolta glass that works perfectly on my a99. I got the lenses for dirt cheap and guess what? Even my 30 year old 70-210 f4 is stabilized, because stabilization is built into the camera body.

I am not saying that Sony cameras take better photos than Canons or Nikons, but I am saying that the Canons and Nikons aren't better than the Sonys, as is being asserted above. I also contend that there are things that don't affect image quality, but do affect user experience that make the Sony superior, like the flip out screen and EVF (yes, I think it's better than an OVF). Anyone saying that Canon or Nikon is better has no idea what they are talking about, and is probably more interested in pixel peeping and brand loving than actually taking good quality photos, which can even be done with a piece of crap point&shoot in the hands of a skilled photographer.

Forget the brand name on the camera. Find the tool that has the features that work best for the shooting you do / want to do.

Ren Murray
Golden Era Photography
goldeneraphoto dot com

The following user(s) said Thank You: wkmen, Shredrocket, Hasan Turer, Andrew-Quarrell
10 years 5 months ago #310549 by Stealthy Ninja

Patrick Harkness wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Linda Duncan wrote:

Don't they have that 4k video now?

My Samsung Note 3 shoot 4k. 4k is not very useful for most people at the moment. 95% or more of the people out there aren't shooting movies or own a 4k television set. I think 4k is really overkill. You can't see the difference unless:

1. You have a 4k monitor/TV
2. Said monitor/TV is VERY large.

So unless you're shooting movies etc. I'd hold back on 4k until it becomes more mainstream. By then Canon et. al will have 4k as standard and you won't be stuck with Sony's crappy G lenses (or buying over priced Zeiss lenses).
10 years 4 months ago #312679 by sgluck1
I shoot with an a850,minolta lenses, with a Sony and sigma lens thrown in. Sigma flash for Sony also. I'm not a pro. I edit with Photoshop and OnOneSoftware's Perfect PhotoSuite. On the analog side I somehow amassed every Minolta SLR from the SR-1 to the Maxxum 9000 along with most of their available lenses.

10 years 4 months ago #312689 by KCook
That would be quite a lens collection!!! You could also have fun with the old SR lenses on a A7?

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024