Sony's 200-500mm

5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #621881 by Troponin
I was a little underwhelmed by Sony's lineup for telephoto. The 100-400 seems like it is a great lens (based on reviews...), but I like fast lenses. The 400mm f2.8 and 500mm f4 are absolutely insane pieces of glass, but so are the price tags. 

Does anyone have anymore info on this lens (200-500mm)? I might hold off on the 100-400mm if the 200-500mm is brighter or even equivalent at that focal length, but I fear my expectations of a non-insane price with this one as well. Does anyone think this will cost less than $5k? 

*edit* Just discovered it's going to be a 5.6. If that's non-variable, should we assume that it will be sharper? 

Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #622022 by garyrhook
I can't comment on Sony's product, but I'm quite happy with my very modestly priced Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 constant aperture lens.

From the middle of the house, at 500mm.
Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON D750
Lens: 200.0-500.0 mm f/5.6
ISO: 2500
Aperture: f/5.6
Shutter speed: 1/400 sec
Captured: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 16:25pm

I post this to illustrate the possibility of a decent lens at a decent price.

Photo Comments
Attachments:
5 years 4 months ago #622024 by Troponin
That looks really good. 

I was was trying to do birds with this 400mm and it made me realize that even 400 seems short with small birds. A lot of image detail and quality is lost with teles, so I am trying to get the longest reach I can afford. Sigma and Tamron aren’t an option because the adapters
seem to mess up AF a bit too

Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #622031 by GaryA
Does Sony, (or anybody else), make a teleconverter for the Sony mount?  I've had good success using 1.4x and 2x converters on my Canons and Fujis. Sure you lose some light but you get more reach and the drop of IQ/detail with a quality teleconverter is not significant for the expectations of most photogs. With Sony's ISO Invariable sensors, the drop in light, most likely, would be meaningless.

Converters work best with primes, but many work just fine with some zooms also.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #622059 by Troponin

GaryA wrote: Does Sony, (or anybody else), make a teleconverter for the Sony mount?  I've had good success using 1.4x and 2x converters on my Canons and Fujis. Sure you lose some light but you get more reach and the drop of IQ/detail with a quality teleconverter is not significant for the expectations of most photogs. With Sony's ISO Invariable sensors, the drop in light, most likely, would be meaningless.

Converters work best with primes, but many work just fine with some zooms also.

Sony does make them. They release them at the beginning of 2018 I believe.

I had a x2 on my 200 2.8 and IQ Was absolutely horrible. Later I found out that no converter really works on that lens. That being said, I am reading the 1.4 on the 100-400 is not bad. I might test this combo out through renting again So I don’t make the expensive mistake again.

This could be a good set up, but I eventually want to get something brighter

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024