GPS Sony

1 year 2 months ago #634112 by OlderSonyUser
Hello

I am looking for some expert advice not forthcoming from Sony.

I have had my Sony Camcorder for some years but have never used the GPS
Coordinates information that is recorded on the JPEG still images. (
I don't think GPS Coordinates are recorded on my video's) I
understand that Sony Play-memories can no longer use Google services
for this feature!

I asked Sony for a workaround but none was forthcoming for Windows users.

I attempted to enter the Coordinate information into Google Earth Pro & into Google
maps but the location was wildly incorrect. Obviously I did not enter
the Coordinates in the expected format!

I wonder if any of you can tell me a way to convert this information into a usable format
for Google products or into an UK OS Grid reference.

If any one can point mein the right direction I would be most grateful.

OlderSonyUser

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 2 months ago #634938 by garyrhook
Without details it's going to be hard to know what to suggest. Primarily, what format is recorded in the image, vs. the format(s) expected by the Google?

IOW details, please.

Photo Comments

1 year 2 months ago #635064 by OlderSonyUser
IOW thank you for helping

Sorry for not getting back straight away. My Sony image coordinates look like this:

Latidude: 53; 4; 44.67000000001213
Longtitude: 1; 47; 19.842000000000439
Altitude: 152
Can I format these to work in Google maps, Google Earth or convert them to OS Map references to use on paper maps?
I understand that GPS Babel is a great way to work with GPS but have no idea how to use it.

Any enlightenment would be much appreciated

Older Sony User

1 year 2 months ago #635106 by garyrhook
Those are in degrees-minutes-seconds format. Assuming N and W, that location appears to be in Ashbourne, UK?

If you turn this:
53; 4; 44.67000000001213
into this:
53°4'44.67000000001213"N
You can enter your coordinates in Google maps just fine. The problem is that you must use the degree sign (which is just idiotic, IMNSHO).

Your other choice is to convert them to decimal format. There are online tools available to do that for you, such as this one: www.fcc.gov/media/radio/dms-decimal

You still have to specify N/S and E/W.

Photo Comments

1 year 2 months ago #635190 by OlderSonyUser
Thank you Garry

That is a lot of useful information very quickly and is exactly what I needed. Perfect answer, Thank you.

I am aware that there is no ° key on the Standard keyboard, I know that the ASCII code for ° is ALT 0176 in case this helps anyone needing to type the degrees symbol.

One thing I did find out, and that I find useful is, for anyone that uses GPS to track their Walks, Runs, Rides, Drives, Coach or Train trips. If they have installed or install Garmin Base Camp (which is free) One can add photographs to any installed map whether or not your camera 'which has to be digital' has GPS. One can add a folder of Photographs, or drag and drop photographs to your selected Track or Route. In order for this to work, your GPS device & Camera must show the same time within seconds. It works by the software comparing and matching the time of the track points with the time on the camera.

Robert Green

1 year 2 months ago #635309 by garyrhook
You're very welcome.

The problem with the degree symbol is that I don't know how to enter it without a numeric keypad. I should go google that...

I use MyTracks on my iPhone to track my position when I care to. The resulting file can then be transferred to my computer, loaded into Lightroom, and LR will tag the files for me. That's about as complicated as I get.

Same issue with clock coordination on the devices. I always forget to change my camera when I travel, though. Thankfully, LR has ways to correct time.

Photo Comments

1 year 2 months ago #635420 by OlderSonyUser
Garry

That's some more that I have learned from you. I knew that Lightroom, newer than Lightroom 3, which is my version, (Some of us find Adobe's subscription model just too expensive) has maps, but I only very recently learned that it can use the coordinates in the photographs to place them on the map. Now you have told me that Lightroom can also create the coordinates and not only that, correct time differences, fantastic.

No doubt one day I'll start using Adobe's Creative Cloud but for now I'm fine with Lightroom 3, and Photoshop CS 5.

Thank you for all your help

Older Sony User

1 year 2 months ago #635421 by garyrhook

OlderSonyUser wrote: Garry

That's some more that I have learned from you. I knew that Lightroom, newer than Lightroom 3, which is my version, (Some of us find Adobe's subscription model just too expensive) has maps, but I only very recently learned that it can use the coordinates in the photographs to place them on the map. Now you have told me that Lightroom can also create the coordinates and not only that, correct time differences, fantastic.

No doubt one day I'll start using Adobe's Creative Cloud but for now I'm fine with Lightroom 3, and Photoshop CS 5.

Thank you for all your help

Older Sony User

You're very welcome. Happy to be of help.

I recommend getting a copy of the standalone LR 6 while you still can. It's much, much nicer than 3.

Photo Comments

1 year 2 months ago #635598 by OlderSonyUser
Thanks Garry I will give Lightroom 6 some thought.

My wife tells me to type the degrees ° symbol on Apple devices simply hold down the '0' Zero key kind of intuitive as it looks like a zero in superscript.

For Android users hold down the '_' underscore key.

Older Sony User

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

Is the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera the right choice for you? Find out in this quick review of its specs, build quality, video capabilities, and more.

May 18, 2020

In the Fujifilm X-T2 vs Fujifulm X-T3 battle, which one comes out on top? These cameras are evenly matched, yet have distinct advantages all their own.

May 05, 2020

In the Nikon Z50 vs Canon EOS RP debate, which one comes out on top? These cameras have many similarities, but their differences could lead you one way or the other.

May 01, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

What is a graduated ND filter? Do you know how to use a graduated ND filter? If not, check out this landscape photography tutorial!

May 21, 2020

My favorite drone is the DJI Mavic 2 Pro. But after spending the last few weeks playing with the Mavic Air 2, I've come to the conclusion that it's the best drone you can buy for less than $1,000.

May 21, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

In this Snaptiles vs Mixtiles comparison, learn which photo tile is better from a build quality standpoint and ease of use.

May 19, 2020

Is the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera the right choice for you? Find out in this quick review of its specs, build quality, video capabilities, and more.

May 18, 2020

Camera cages offer tons of flexibility and versatility when using a DSLR or mirrorless camera for video. In this tutorial, learn how to use a camera cage.

May 18, 2020

If you sell clients prints, you should strongly consider offering high-quality canvas prints. But what makes a canvas good quality? Find out in this guide!

May 18, 2020

The Canon EOS R5 price might have been leaked by a camera website in Australia. If the price is accurate, you'll need a big pile of cash to get an R5.

May 15, 2020