GPS Sony

5 years 1 month ago #634112 by OlderSonyUser
Hello

I am looking for some expert advice not forthcoming from Sony.

I have had my Sony Camcorder for some years but have never used the GPS
Coordinates information that is recorded on the JPEG still images. (
I don't think GPS Coordinates are recorded on my video's) I
understand that Sony Play-memories can no longer use Google services
for this feature!

I asked Sony for a workaround but none was forthcoming for Windows users.

I attempted to enter the Coordinate information into Google Earth Pro & into Google
maps but the location was wildly incorrect. Obviously I did not enter
the Coordinates in the expected format!

I wonder if any of you can tell me a way to convert this information into a usable format
for Google products or into an UK OS Grid reference.

If any one can point mein the right direction I would be most grateful.

OlderSonyUser

5 years 1 month ago #634938 by garyrhook
Without details it's going to be hard to know what to suggest. Primarily, what format is recorded in the image, vs. the format(s) expected by the Google?

IOW details, please.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635064 by OlderSonyUser
IOW thank you for helping

Sorry for not getting back straight away. My Sony image coordinates look like this:

Latidude: 53; 4; 44.67000000001213
Longtitude: 1; 47; 19.842000000000439
Altitude: 152
Can I format these to work in Google maps, Google Earth or convert them to OS Map references to use on paper maps?
I understand that GPS Babel is a great way to work with GPS but have no idea how to use it.

Any enlightenment would be much appreciated

Older Sony User

5 years 1 month ago #635106 by garyrhook
Those are in degrees-minutes-seconds format. Assuming N and W, that location appears to be in Ashbourne, UK?

If you turn this:
53; 4; 44.67000000001213
into this:
53°4'44.67000000001213"N
You can enter your coordinates in Google maps just fine. The problem is that you must use the degree sign (which is just idiotic, IMNSHO).

Your other choice is to convert them to decimal format. There are online tools available to do that for you, such as this one: www.fcc.gov/media/radio/dms-decimal

You still have to specify N/S and E/W.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635190 by OlderSonyUser
Thank you Garry

That is a lot of useful information very quickly and is exactly what I needed. Perfect answer, Thank you.

I am aware that there is no ° key on the Standard keyboard, I know that the ASCII code for ° is ALT 0176 in case this helps anyone needing to type the degrees symbol.

One thing I did find out, and that I find useful is, for anyone that uses GPS to track their Walks, Runs, Rides, Drives, Coach or Train trips. If they have installed or install Garmin Base Camp (which is free) One can add photographs to any installed map whether or not your camera 'which has to be digital' has GPS. One can add a folder of Photographs, or drag and drop photographs to your selected Track or Route. In order for this to work, your GPS device & Camera must show the same time within seconds. It works by the software comparing and matching the time of the track points with the time on the camera.

Robert Green

5 years 1 month ago #635309 by garyrhook
You're very welcome.

The problem with the degree symbol is that I don't know how to enter it without a numeric keypad. I should go google that...

I use MyTracks on my iPhone to track my position when I care to. The resulting file can then be transferred to my computer, loaded into Lightroom, and LR will tag the files for me. That's about as complicated as I get.

Same issue with clock coordination on the devices. I always forget to change my camera when I travel, though. Thankfully, LR has ways to correct time.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635420 by OlderSonyUser
Garry

That's some more that I have learned from you. I knew that Lightroom, newer than Lightroom 3, which is my version, (Some of us find Adobe's subscription model just too expensive) has maps, but I only very recently learned that it can use the coordinates in the photographs to place them on the map. Now you have told me that Lightroom can also create the coordinates and not only that, correct time differences, fantastic.

No doubt one day I'll start using Adobe's Creative Cloud but for now I'm fine with Lightroom 3, and Photoshop CS 5.

Thank you for all your help

Older Sony User

5 years 1 month ago #635421 by garyrhook

OlderSonyUser wrote: Garry

That's some more that I have learned from you. I knew that Lightroom, newer than Lightroom 3, which is my version, (Some of us find Adobe's subscription model just too expensive) has maps, but I only very recently learned that it can use the coordinates in the photographs to place them on the map. Now you have told me that Lightroom can also create the coordinates and not only that, correct time differences, fantastic.

No doubt one day I'll start using Adobe's Creative Cloud but for now I'm fine with Lightroom 3, and Photoshop CS 5.

Thank you for all your help

Older Sony User

You're very welcome. Happy to be of help.

I recommend getting a copy of the standalone LR 6 while you still can. It's much, much nicer than 3.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635598 by OlderSonyUser
Thanks Garry I will give Lightroom 6 some thought.

My wife tells me to type the degrees ° symbol on Apple devices simply hold down the '0' Zero key kind of intuitive as it looks like a zero in superscript.

For Android users hold down the '_' underscore key.

Older Sony User

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024