Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 for Sony

4 years 11 months ago #638196 by Soccer Mom
Is this lens really that good?  

https://www.adorama.com/tm2875soe.html

Perfect 5 star review.  

Canon 7D, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 70-200mm L f/2.8, 100mm and 17-55mm f/2.8
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #638206 by Troponin
Based on it's performance and price point, I would imagine it is. The dpreview staff gave it a thumbs up too. Its a good lens. It's also currently the only "Good" option without an adapter the next step up; the Sony GM. Eventually Sigma should have something. It's an extremely popular focal range. 

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #638224 by Piechura
How is the autofocus? I saw a comparison between a Sony and a third party lens on Youtube and the native lens was so much faster while the third party (maybe Sigma) was hunting around all over the place in the darker shots.

ETA: Just watched this video...

In summary
- the image sharpness is a match for the G-master
- the autofocus in low light isn't as fast, but not terrible
- the lens distortion is noticeable, which isn't a big issue for photos, but creates a lot of extra work in post for videos.

4 years 11 months ago #638289 by Troponin

Piechura wrote: How is the autofocus? I saw a comparison between a Sony and a third party lens on Youtube and the native lens was so much faster while the third party (maybe Sigma) was hunting around all over the place in the darker shots.

ETA: Just watched this video...

In summar
- the image sharpness is a match for the G-master
- the autofocus in low light isn't as fast, but not terrible
- the lens distortion is noticeable, which isn't a big issue for photos, but creates a lot of extra work in post for videos.

Sony lenses are fast. Even the Sigma Art lens, which is the next best lens line for the e mount, is not as fast as a GM and misses occasionally. I’m sure the next step down is relative to these, but again, at around $300+ less than what the potential sigma will be, it’s not bad.

What are you photographing that would require accurate consistent AF? If you’re doing landscapes etc, probably not an issue. Animals and wedding might be another story. You don’t get do-overs in those areas. 

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #638556 by garyrhook
I can't comment on the Sony version, but I have had the Nikon version for 6 years, and I'll stack it up against the older Nikon 24-70 any day of the week. It focuses fast, has very good IQ, and is built like a tank.

My only complaint is that it's a bit stiff and clunky when changing the focal length.

I'm happy, and it means I don't have to put the Nikon lens on my shopping list, leaving more funds for other things.

Rent one and try it out.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024