Sony A7RIII Max Flash sync

5 years 1 week ago #638432 by indyallen
Does anyone know the maximum flash sync setting? 1/200th or 1/250th? I think I heard it was 1/250th but I get a black band which I assume is the shutter getting caught in the photo. I am new so this might be a dumb question.

4 years 10 months ago #645136 by G Vernon
I believe it´s 1/250 only with a Sony compatible flash - you´ll be fine with 1/160 to 1/200..

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645141 by Shadowfixer1

indyallen wrote: Does anyone know the maximum flash sync setting? 1/200th or 1/250th? I think I heard it was 1/250th but I get a black band which I assume is the shutter getting caught in the photo. I am new so this might be a dumb question.

Flash sync is 1/250th of a second for the A7RIII. I am surprised you are getting a black band. Is it along the edge? Flash mounted on camera? If it is, then if using a large lens with a lens hood may cast a shadow. Most of the time you can get quite a bit more shutter speed than the published sync speed by going manual. I can get 1/400th of a second with my Olympus before a dark band begins to appear. More information would be helpful to diagnose your issue.
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #645187 by Troponin
When I bought mine, I swear I read it was 1/200th. It's reasonable to believe, considering I get the sync band at 1/250th consistently. Not sure why the source stated that, but I would say it's more accurate than Sony's rating. 

I use mine for macro. Right in front of the lens, mounted directly to the hotshoe. When I turn it back down to 1/200th, it's fine. 

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645215 by Shadowfixer1
Sony says it's 1/250th. Odd you would get a darkening at that speed unless the shutter isn't accurately calibrated. 

www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/W000/W0002144M.pdf
4 years 10 months ago #645221 by Troponin

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Sony says it's 1/250th. Odd you would get a darkening at that speed unless the shutter isn't accurately calibrated. 

www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/W000/W0002144M.pdf

I read Sony made the same claim with the a7rII but it has the same issue. I need to research this more. 

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #645227 by Troponin
OK, confirmed at dpreview. Apparently the Camera changes settings if you don't have "Sony pins" on your flash. It lowers the sync speeds to 1/200, but puts them back to 1/250th when it detects a Sony products. I think this is because there must be too many third party issues with frequency response etc and it fails too much. Sony must have set the camera up like this so that it is more consistent. They should be telling people this though.

Why would they allow people to discover this and potentially return the camera for it being defective? 

I have considered a Sony flash for its size and power, but now it's tempting to get one so that I stop having random issues. 

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #645230 by Troponin
Apparently Nikon is guilty of the same for more than one camera, I am sure the D600 is in that list too, , which someone brought up the other day and folks replied they didn't know how to use their camera. (Add the D810 to this list too) THIS is why I dislike this reply. It teaches us nothing and adds nothing of substance except for beating down morale in the hobby and profession. Not to mention, many of the techies don’t know exactly what’s happening in most of these cases, which tells us this is quite a unique situation 

I am finding several hits on this now but for other cameras.

So it looks like the easiest solution is just not using max sync speed. Next would be using only manufacturer’s equipment or verifying if the equipment is capable of those speeds. There seems to be a couple factors, the first being the flash trying to take a power dump every time it fires, and the other seems to be a pin and/or transmission and/or frequency speed issue....maybe? Lol

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645297 by Troponin
^^^heads up; edited 100 times. :dry:

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645426 by indyallen
Well this makes sense. My strobe is definitely not a Sony flash. It is a Newer strobe. I have been shooting at 1/200th for insects that do not want to cooperate. I do not get the banding problems. I do not have a Sony flash so I can not test if it can go at 1/250th. Thanks for the research and confirmation.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

Latest Articles

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024

A small camera backpack is the perfect vessel for carrying your photography kit. The problem is there’s so many to choose from! Use this guide for details on three top choices.

Apr 04, 2024