Version 3.0 for A7III and r

3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #639691 by Troponin
For anyone that hasn't seen yet, the new firmware is available from Sony. It includes the Animal EF, some menu changes. Sony seems to realize they kinda messed up on the menu system, so this should help alleviate that. 

For those that are also unaware (If you try to rent one or buy one), there are now a couple ways that you can access features, two of them now with custom menus etc. 

This is pretty exciting stuff and just wanted to put a reminder out there. 90% of my photography is of animals, so I will be playing with the animal eye focus on horses, dogs, cats, ducks, and some family members. I'll let you know how it goes and any problems or trouble shooting I might have. 

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 9 months ago #639709 by indyallen
I read that the update only covers on eye detection for Dogs and Cats. We will see if they will detect other animals. 

I am looking forward to seeing the time lapse feature addition. I had to buy a external cable remote to do this. It works but I would like it to be in camera. 

3 years 9 months ago #639717 by Troponin

indyallen wrote: I read that the update only covers on eye detection for Dogs and Cats. We will see if they will detect other animals. 

I am looking forward to seeing the time lapse feature addition. I had to buy a external cable remote to do this. It works but I would like it to be in camera. 

Oh yes! I don’t use time lapse, so I Had completely forgotten about this, but this was a HUGE deal to so many people. Possibly more so than the animal eye focus. 

Photo Comments

3 years 9 months ago #639767 by Troponin

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic Lumix GH5 might be nearly six years old, but when it arrived in 2017, it had incredible features, particularly for video. Do those features still hold up? Let’s find out!

Dec 28, 2022

If you’re in the market for a rangefinder camera, there is no better choice than Leica. The Leica M11 is just one model worth considering for your photographic needs.

Dec 08, 2022

In this Nikon D5 vs D850 comparison, we take a look at the specs, features, and capabilities of these cameras so you can decide which one is right for you.

Sep 29, 2022

The Panasonic Lumix FZ300 is an older camera, but has modern capabilities like 4K video that make it a great option for today's photographers.

Sep 13, 2022
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

I've had the f-stop Sukha since 2019, and it's proven to be an ideal solution for carrying lots of gear on extended trips. Is it the right bag for you? Find out!

Jan 25, 2023

Not sure what to get your special someone for Valentine’s Day? Get inspired with these awesome photography gifts that look great, are affordable, and are sure to impress!

Jan 24, 2023

If you’re ready to level-up your video-making capabilities and are interested in a Sony cinema camera, use this guide to find the right camera for you and for your budget!

Jan 23, 2023

If you have a Canon EOS R camera system, there are many different RF lenses you can choose from to enhance your work. See which ones are our picks!

Jan 23, 2023

Using photo card templates allows you to create beautiful, well-designed cards for personal and professional occasions, be that a wedding, a birthday, a retirement, or something in between.

Jan 20, 2023

There are many types of canvas prints, each of which offers a unique method of displaying images. In this guide, learn about a special category - giclee canvas prints.

Jan 20, 2023

I've had Snaptiles in the past, but wanted to order a new set and do an updated review to see how they've changed. Is this new set better than the last? Find out in my 2022 Snaptiles review!

Jan 19, 2023

Learning how to carry a camera happens on two levels - how do you carry it in your hand and how do you carry it on your person. This guide explores the latter.

Jan 19, 2023