Sony APS-C or full-frame / light for landscape and travel

4 months 4 weeks ago #671483 by amatula
Hi,

I have a Canon SL1 (APS-C sensor) with 24 mm F/2.8 lens and a little Sony Cybershot DSC-W830 (1/2.3 sensor) which I got used. I love the image stabilization with the W830! 

I want to upgrade from the SL1 and now thinking Sony due to its in-body stabilization.

I do not need the "latest and greatest" models. I have been wondering how the APS-C sensor camera are (e.g. A6300). I have not seen many landscape shots online showing landscape.  I had been thinking a Sony A7R II but unsure if I need to go that big.  I am looking for:

1. the in-body image stabilization
2. camera does a good job capturing detail in low light
3. some weather sealing
4. Light weight
5. Ability to manually adjust settings (ISO, aperture, etc.)
6. Hopefully something under $1K with lens (prefer F2.8 lens)

If you own a Sony and take landscape, I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Thank you for your time and happy New Year!
Annie

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 months 3 weeks ago #671765 by gerry11
Sony a6500 can be a great choice for you. For lens there are a lot of options - pick one within your budget.

The following user(s) said Thank You: amatula

4 months 3 weeks ago #671815 by New but trying
I wouldn't expect too much from the IBIS in Sony's APS-C cameras. I've tried the a6500 for a week, and while it helps, it's not as drastic as many of the micro 4/3 cameras with IBIS (though I haven't used those personally). I've heard of people being able to hand hold those for seconds. A lot of them also have in-body "hi-res" composites. Low light might be a bit worse than APS-C, but potentially good enough. Can't go too wrong with the Sony though...

Photo Comments

4 months 3 weeks ago #671996 by amatula
Thank you!
I checked out the specs of that camera (the A6500) and they look good.
I appreciate your time and the reply!
All the best,

Photo Comments

4 months 3 weeks ago #671997 by amatula
Thank you!
I appreciate that info.
I was in Best Buy and checked out the A7R II; it felt so good in my hands and amazed how steadily I was holding it (it had a zoom lens on it). I am hoping to demo that one a bit more, or maybe the A7 II (more budget).
Happy shooting!
Annie

Photo Comments

4 months 3 weeks ago #672048 by Shadowfixer1
Go with the full frame. The size difference is small but the ergonomics are better with the A7 series. I wouldn't opt for the A7II. The A7RII and A7III are much better cameras if you can squeeze your budget. I would opt for buying used from KEH or some other reputable dealer. You can get great cameras for much less money. 

4 months 6 days ago #674207 by amatula
Hi,
Out of curiosity, why do you think the A7 II is not a good choice? I could get that used for a good price and the specs sound good: good dynamic range, enough auto focus points....
Thank you, again!

Photo Comments

4 months 6 days ago #674223 by Shadowfixer1
The autofocus on the A7II is not up to par in my opinion. I am also not impressed with the image quality from it. I just think the other models are far and away better than the A7II. Is it useable? Of course it is, but I just think it falls behind the others.

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Olympus OM-D E-M1 II review, learn about the camera's specs and features, pros and cons, price, and much more.

Jun 02, 2020

In the Canon 5D Mark III vs Canon 1D Mark IV battle, which of these older cameras is right for you? Get all the details on these oldies but goodies in this comparison review.

May 27, 2020

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

Latest Articles

The DJI Mavic 2 Pro is one of the best drones I've ever owned, and it's even better with these must-have Mavic 2 Pro accessories.

Jun 03, 2020

Variable ND filters aren't for everyone, but they do have many benefits for photographers. In this guide, learn about the pros of variable ND filters, the cons, the difference between variable ND filters and fixed ND filters, and more.

Jun 02, 2020

In this Olympus OM-D E-M1 II review, learn about the camera's specs and features, pros and cons, price, and much more.

Jun 02, 2020

In this ball head buying guide, learn about the specs and features of some of the top ball heads of 2020.

Jun 01, 2020

There are many different benefits of lens filters for photography. You can control exposure. You can also control glare. Get the scoop on other benefits in this guide.

Jun 01, 2020

There are many reasons why you should print on metal, including the durability and uniqueness of metal prints, as well as all the options you have for customizing your print.

May 29, 2020

Razer has unleashed the 2020 version of their Blade 15 Studio, and it is an incredible machine with the power visual creatives need.

May 29, 2020

To learn nude photography - particularly artistic nude photography - requires you to commit yourself to artistic thinking and the process of taking a well thought out image.

May 29, 2020