Sony APS-C or full-frame / light for landscape and travel

4 years 2 months ago #671483 by amatula
Hi,

I have a Canon SL1 (APS-C sensor) with 24 mm F/2.8 lens and a little Sony Cybershot DSC-W830 (1/2.3 sensor) which I got used. I love the image stabilization with the W830! 

I want to upgrade from the SL1 and now thinking Sony due to its in-body stabilization.

I do not need the "latest and greatest" models. I have been wondering how the APS-C sensor camera are (e.g. A6300). I have not seen many landscape shots online showing landscape.  I had been thinking a Sony A7R II but unsure if I need to go that big.  I am looking for:

1. the in-body image stabilization
2. camera does a good job capturing detail in low light
3. some weather sealing
4. Light weight
5. Ability to manually adjust settings (ISO, aperture, etc.)
6. Hopefully something under $1K with lens (prefer F2.8 lens)

If you own a Sony and take landscape, I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Thank you for your time and happy New Year!
Annie

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #671765 by gerry11
Sony a6500 can be a great choice for you. For lens there are a lot of options - pick one within your budget.

The following user(s) said Thank You: amatula
4 years 2 months ago #671815 by New but trying
I wouldn't expect too much from the IBIS in Sony's APS-C cameras. I've tried the a6500 for a week, and while it helps, it's not as drastic as many of the micro 4/3 cameras with IBIS (though I haven't used those personally). I've heard of people being able to hand hold those for seconds. A lot of them also have in-body "hi-res" composites. Low light might be a bit worse than APS-C, but potentially good enough. Can't go too wrong with the Sony though...

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #671996 by amatula
Thank you!
I checked out the specs of that camera (the A6500) and they look good.
I appreciate your time and the reply!
All the best,

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #671997 by amatula
Thank you!
I appreciate that info.
I was in Best Buy and checked out the A7R II; it felt so good in my hands and amazed how steadily I was holding it (it had a zoom lens on it). I am hoping to demo that one a bit more, or maybe the A7 II (more budget).
Happy shooting!
Annie

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #672048 by Shadowfixer1
Go with the full frame. The size difference is small but the ergonomics are better with the A7 series. I wouldn't opt for the A7II. The A7RII and A7III are much better cameras if you can squeeze your budget. I would opt for buying used from KEH or some other reputable dealer. You can get great cameras for much less money. 
4 years 2 months ago #674207 by amatula
Hi,
Out of curiosity, why do you think the A7 II is not a good choice? I could get that used for a good price and the specs sound good: good dynamic range, enough auto focus points....
Thank you, again!

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674223 by Shadowfixer1
The autofocus on the A7II is not up to par in my opinion. I am also not impressed with the image quality from it. I just think the other models are far and away better than the A7II. Is it useable? Of course it is, but I just think it falls behind the others.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

Latest Articles

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024