Sony 6500 users - if you could do it again, would you buy this camera?

4 years 1 month ago #677609 by amatula
Hi Folks,

I am hoping to upgrade to a camera with stabilization in lens and/or body, good weather-sealing, lightweight, very good image quality (I know if I set it up correctly it would help...so ease of set up for my needs!), and will not be prone to things falling apart and failing after a year or two.. 

I am a landscape (take photos when I hike/climb/paddle, etc)/travel photographer, occasionally portraits. I am more of an enthusiast moving up - I hope - so love working creatively, e.g., haven't done focus stacking and the like but the thought of it sounds exciting!

I currently own the Canon EOS SL1 with the 24 mm F2.8 IS (stabilized) lens, which is very good setup, but I want to upgrade and overcome what I perceive to be the SL1's limitations (low light shooting, low dynamic range, lack of sharpness at times, and perhaps not the best stabilization for hand-held photography).

Last, I do not want to have  to do much post photo editing, just minor, e.g. sharpening or exposure adjustments; I want a camera/lens with very good out of camera JPEGs. I do like some editing for creative purposes and sharing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have "narrowed down" (I hope!) to the Sony 6500, FujiXT3/30, Canon EOS, or Olympus OMD EM5 (but still open to other options too), budgeting around $1,500. 

If you own the 6500 or similar, I would love to hear your opinion on the camera and if you like it and if it is a good match for what I am seeking. 

Do you think the 6500 will meet my needs well?
(I have seen tons online on the 6500, but it is hard to make decisions solely based on that because photos can be edited and folks do reviews sometimes within the first few months of purchase).

I appreciate your time and anything you share!
All the best,
Annie

Photo Comments
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #677738 by garyrhook
Figure out your strong candidates, and perhaps rent to try out? BorrowLenses.com has the a6500 for $55 for 7 days, that Fuji for $88, etc.

And if you're okay with buying used, lensrentalstogo.com will apply your rental towards purchasing the gear. I think. Just something to think about.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: amatula
4 years 3 weeks ago #677762 by amatula
Thank you for letting me know this, Gary! Sounds like a great idea and love the thought I could apply the rental towards purchase.
All the best!

Photo Comments
4 years 3 weeks ago #677782 by garyrhook

amatula wrote: Thank you for letting me know this, Gary! Sounds like a great idea and love the thought I could apply the rental towards purchase.
All the best!

Be sure to check the terms on their website. And not every rental agency offers that.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: amatula

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024