how much longer can I rely on auto?

12 years 9 months ago #113891 by eryck
I always take my pics on Manual Mode, but kind of rely on auto focus, mostly cause I wear glasses and have not put enough time practicing manual focus.

this image was taken with auto focus, and I panned , but I just had a good meal and there is no reason to believe I was shaking, Im even known for shooting hand held at 1/13. It has to be the auto focus, let me know what you think about the focus on the air plane.

ISO 100 70mm f/11 1/25sec
Attachments:
12 years 9 months ago #113905 by Baydream
My guess is that you have all your focus points activated. It tried to get everything in focus but there is such a difference between the foreground (trees) and the subject )plane), there was no way it could satisfy all the points so it picked the majority (which was not the plane). For this one you needed to set it to use just a single point and place it on the plane. 1/25 sec is pretty slow for a moving object. I would be at a higher speed.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #113909 by eryck

Baydream wrote: My guess is that you have all your focus points activated. It tried to get everything in focus but there is such a difference between the foreground (trees) and the subject )plane), there was no way it could satisfy all the points so it picked the majority (which was not the plane). For this one you needed to set it to use just a single point and place it on the plane.

No, I always use auto focus Im famialr with these focus points and spend considerable amount of time adjusting and fidgiting with this option. For this photo I had it set to center point and the pic has been cropped.
12 years 9 months ago #113928 by chasrich
It is a mystery that may never be solved. I'm looking at the lower right corner and noticing the streaks caused by the panning motion of the camera. The lines are not straight but rather have a slight curve to them. I'm thinking that while you were panning you were also, subconsciously perhaps, centering the subject in the frame or perhaps the wind moved the branches... Also - you mention this is cropped. I assume you had something like a 300mm lens. If that is the case then the normally recommended shutter speed would be up around the 1/300th mark. Shutter speed would be my best guess at any focus problems followed by unintended camera movement. All things considered the focus is not that bad really. :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #113934 by Baydream
Based on your description of using focal points, I have to agree with Charles. Even manual focus will not get this done if the shutter speed is too slow,,

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #113970 by eryck
sometimes I get a head of myself

this was actually not centered so I did not have the plane centered, Im assuming the fucus went to infiniti.

I was not using a 300 mm for this I had on my sigma DC 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5. The plane was flying pretty low, less then a hundred feet for sure, maybe 60 feet from me.

why would shutter speed have something to do with the focus? I mean given a situation where the light is perfect and the subect is totally stationary, would it really make a difference on the focus if say I set the camera to f/11 and 1/30 sec ?

One thought its the lens itself not quality glass to handle the distance.
12 years 9 months ago #113974 by Baydream
But the further away and object is, the angle of intersection is greater. The tiniest movement of the camera, if not perfectly aligned with the plane, will create a blurred image.A faster shutter speed will reduce the time your camera and the plane need to be in sync. Guaranteed.

BTW - Your first assumption is also correct.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #113980 by DestinDave
Another thing you can look into is the auto-focus mode of your camera.. for example my Canon has One-Shot, AI Focus, and AI Servo.. the AI Servo continuously adjusts focus (based on the focus point selected) the entire time I'm pressing the shutter release halfway until the shot is taken..

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

The following user(s) said Thank You: eryck
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #113981 by chasrich
The shutter speed has to do with movement. Panning a camera is movement. If you are not exact then a fast shutter will help a lot. If the plane was as close as you say - infinity might have been too far for a sharp focus. What was the Aperture set on?

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #113987 by eryck

chasrich wrote: The shutter speed has to do with movement. Panning a camera is movement. If you are not exact then a fast shutter will help a lot. If the plane was as close as you say - infinity might have been too far for a sharp focus. What was the Aperture set on?

the aperature was set to f/11
12 years 9 months ago #113989 by eryck

Baydream wrote: , the angle of intersection is greater.

BTW - Your first assumption is also correct.

how can I figure out the angle of intersection for my lens?
12 years 8 months ago #114161 by Rob pix4u2
When you are panning my guess is thatthe angle was either increasing if the plane was ascending or decreasing if it was descending and not in level flight, and as Dave said your AF may have not been in focus tracking mode

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024