My son's flip at the track

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #144408 by Qmamom

12 years 6 months ago #144411 by Baydream
Oops. Bet THAT had your heart stopped for a second.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #144413 by Qmamom
img\def

ngqma-9-11 489 by Qma Mom , on Flickr
I don't know why I have more focus issues with my D300s than I did my D60
img\def

ngqma-9-11 492 by Qma Mom , on Flickr
img\def

ngqma-9-11 493 by Qma Mom , on Flickr
img\def

ngqma-9-11 494 by Qma Mom , on Flickr
img\def

ngqma-9-11 495 by Qma Mom , on Flickr
img\def

ngqma-9-11 496 by Qma Mom , on Flickr
img\def

ngqma-9-11 497 by Qma Mom , on Flickr
img\def

ngqma-9-11 498 by Qma Mom , on Flickr

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #144415 by MLKstudios
My uncle used to get $25 for each roll in front of the grandstands (back in the '50s). More than if he won the race.

Glad the new card works. :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

The following user(s) said Thank You: Qmamom
12 years 6 months ago #144416 by Qmamom
More than a minute it seemed! I was running with a numb leg trying to get there and hand my camera off at the same time to anybody. He was fine, just bruised a bit and muscle aches. The crazy thing is his car was fine too, just scraped lol. He went back out later and practiced another car and almost flipped again while I was downloading these to the laptop, thank goodness I had my back turned that time and didn't see it coming lol.

12 years 6 months ago #144419 by Qmamom

My uncle used to get $25 for each roll in front of the grandstands (back in the '50s). More than if he won the race.

Oh no! This is only his 2nd flip and the 1st was a barely lol. He could have continued racing but with the car "biking" like that it was not an option. He went down to GA before us with another family and quit practice early because they felt he was coming close to flipping until they had the parts from us to fix it. I had told him he wasn't allowed to flip with out me there, guess he listened for once... This was his birthday weekend, his favorite track, and his first time practicing without either of us there. He did hang tough though.

12 years 6 months ago #144421 by Qmamom
I tried lowering my ISO a bit this time because I seemed to have more noise then I should have when I needed to crop for a zoomed flip. But I still can't figure out my focus issue on the 489#. I was using my 18-200 because it is such a small track and honestly my back couldn't have handled my 70-200 this weekend.

12 years 6 months ago #144423 by Dori
Wonderful series! Glad your Son was unharmed!
:judge:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 6 months ago #144424 by Qmamom
Thanks, I had a few of my hubby's feet running in front of me with my finger still on the shutter lol. It is scary but addicting for all of us.

12 years 6 months ago #144426 by Qmamom
So I think I just figured out something that I have been trying to recreate for a while!:woohoo:
Maybe by lowering my ISO that help the panning and DOF that I could only get with manual focus at night before?! Then again please tell me if I am mixed up and wrong...

12 years 6 months ago #144427 by Baydream
I'm viewing on a laptop and can't see the focus issue. Is it when you crop? That will amplify any camera movement. Using a monopod? Could help.
Love the sequence though. With 3 or 4 frames per sec cameras, it is amazing now much action takes place in a second.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #144428 by chasrich
:judge: :thumbsup: Thrillah! Must have caused you a heartache or two seeing this in the viewfinder. :unsure:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 6 months ago #144430 by MLKstudios
When rounding a turn, tell him to watch the left front tire and get as close as he can to the curb, without touching it. That's what caused the car to flip.

HTH

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 6 months ago #144433 by Qmamom

I'm viewing on a laptop and can't see the focus issue. Is it when you crop? That will amplify any camera movement. Using a monopod? Could help.
Love the sequence though. With 3 or 4 frames per sec cameras, it is amazing now much action takes place in a second.

It isn't focused on him in the #489 one, I don't know. I had tried the monopod earlier that day but it was restricting me so I gave it up. The rest in the race was in focus and I am usually pretty good about doing the half button since things happen so fast. My previous "noise" issues where when I was zoomed too far when a flip happened and the parent wanted it closer but I wasn't happy because it was grainey, therefor I thought it may have been the auto ISO being too high?
Here is one that they wanted only their kid in but I didn't like because once I cropped it it was grainey
img\def

7-17-10 089 by Qma Mom , on Flickr

12 years 6 months ago #144436 by Qmamom

When rounding a turn, tell him to watch the left front tire and get as close as he can to the curb, without touching it. That's what caused the car to flip.

He usually has a great line there but the tires coming off made it impossible this time lol. I think the term is "biking", which if the judges would have seen it happening he would have been black flagged. This was our first "biking" incident, the track really got tight as it warmed up and several others had issues too. But yes thanks it does help because he doesn't have a good line at all in these pictures. We are also working on getting him to lean out more to help but he prefers to sit straight up and that is not ideal in Quarter Midgets.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024