Guess this is where this goes?

10 years 10 months ago #286151 by Don Fischer
I'm on a few site's for photography and none have a section for dog's. The outdoor sites I visit with photography section deal only in landscapes, flower's, sunset's and wild animals. My favorite subjects are pointing dogs. Comments would be nice but be easy on me!

img\def

img\def

img\def

img\def

And action. These are people's favorites. nobody beside me does this out here.

img\def

img\def

img\def

img\def

There's winner's in every competation

img\def

img\def

img\def

img\def

10 years 10 months ago #286162 by KCook
Nice timing on the running shots :thumbsup:

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 10 months ago #286164 by Don Fischer
Thank you but, I don't time them. Camera gets set of focus tracking and the machine gun mode! Get about four shot's of each dog right in a row as fast as the camera can do it.

10 years 10 months ago #286166 by Darrell
Last 5 pics: I would suggest using a larger aperture so as to have some of the background out of focus to allow the viewer's eyes to go to the the subject rather than the background . The dogs make great subjects...

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #286169 by Don Fischer
yea I see what you mean. I use a small aperture on moving and pointing shots, didn't even consider it on award shots! I'll have to pay better attention this fall.

EDIT
Just looked at those again and in the running shots also there is to much DOF isn't there?

10 years 10 months ago #286249 by Don Fischer

Darrell wrote: Last 5 pics: I would suggest using a larger aperture so as to have some of the background out of focus to allow the viewer's eyes to go to the the subject rather than the background . The dogs make great subjects...

How's this?

img\def

10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #286265 by garyrhook

Don Fischer wrote: yea I see what you mean. I use a small aperture on moving and pointing shots, didn't even consider it on award shots! I'll have to pay better attention this fall.

EDIT
Just looked at those again and in the running shots also there is to much DOF isn't there?

Well, I think so, but that's just me. I'm surprised you use a small aperture for the action shots. I would think a larger aperture and faster shutter speed would be what you want in order to freeze the action. And definitely for the posed shots, just enough DoF to keep the subjects in focus; nothing more. Perhaps f/5.6 or so, from where these are taken? For example, this one:
donfischer.smugmug.com/Other/Award-photo.../0/O/DSC_0140600.jpg
says f/14 at 1/500 s using ISO 640. By moving down to ISO 100 you can already increase your aperture to about f/6.3 at 1/500s. Or crank your shutter speed to 1/800 with those settings. You're far enough away that your DoF is going to be a few feet even at that aperture. Of course, of you were trying to keep the sign in focus, that makes it a bit more challenging.

Just $0.02. Take with a grain of salt.

Photo Comments
10 years 10 months ago #286271 by Sawyer
Great photos of these pups!

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
10 years 10 months ago #286272 by Rob pix4u2
Vertical shots could help with the dogs running too I think would be an interesting perspective.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

10 years 10 months ago #286290 by Don Fischer
Yea they wanted the sign in focus. Sometime's the sign is in front and extra people in the back. i spend all day with a high ISO and forget to change it at the awards!

10 years 9 months ago #287023 by Don Fischer

Rob pix4u2 wrote: Vertical shots could help with the dogs running too I think would be an interesting perspective.

I haven't tried vertical on dog's other than pointing or head shot's., I think it works pretty well there. Gonna have to try an action one like that.

img\def

img\def

img\def

I lied. Just found this old film photo of Pete on wild birds.

img\def

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024