Tried Light Painting a Car for the first time

2 months 1 week ago #634306 by John Bull
I decided to tip my toes in to some light painting for the first time and figured a car would be a good first attempt. 
Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS 80D
Lens: EF-S24mm f/2.8 STM
ISO: 100
Aperture: f/13.0
Shutter speed: 30 s
Captured: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 21:29pm

Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS 80D
Lens: EF-S24mm f/2.8 STM
ISO: 100
Aperture: f/22.0
Shutter speed: 20 s
Captured: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 21:19pm


Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 week ago #634537 by Monica Martinez
I can't see the light painting though! But I like the first shot! 


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 week ago #634539 by Stefan-Olsson
very cool


Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 week ago #634582 by Hassner
Very nice for a first try. I think the point of light painting is maybe to light places where it baffles the viewer of where the light source is. Also, both shots need some light on the roof.


No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 week ago #634584 by Nikon Shooter

Hassner wrote: Very nice for a first try. I think the point of light painting is maybe to light places where it baffles the viewer of where the light source is. Also, both shots need some light on the roof.


These are proper pointers.

The basic principle of light painting is to surprise the viewer
with accents and incidences… absence of which were right-
fully noted by Monica.

Don't do what a soft box can do but explore further!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
The following user(s) said Thank You: NewavaMike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 week ago #634604 by John Bull
Thank you for all the pointers! I really appreciate it! 

I agree, the roof is way too dark and I do think I missed the mark in some places when it came to lighting things up. From what I've seen in light painting with cars people try to hide the light as much as possible, which I guess would make it look closer to something that you could just achieve with a shadow box. 

I was using an Aputure AL-MX as my light source and I quickly realized that this wasn't the best light source for what I was doing. haha. It was hard to hide the light source itself so it lead to a lot of streaking through the picture. I had to basically hide the light behind my sweatshirt sleeve so it wasn't getting picked up by the camera. 

I think there would be far better light sources for something like this next time. I did learn a lot and really didn't start getting even these pictures until my last few attempts. Next time I think will be far more successful. 


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 week ago #634671 by Suni Park

John Bull wrote: Thank you for all the pointers! I really appreciate it! 

I agree, the roof is way too dark and I do think I missed the mark in some places when it came to lighting things up. From what I've seen in light painting with cars people try to hide the light as much as possible, which I guess would make it look closer to something that you could just achieve with a shadow box. 

I was using an Aputure AL-MX as my light source and I quickly realized that this wasn't the best light source for what I was doing. haha. It was hard to hide the light source itself so it lead to a lot of streaking through the picture. I had to basically hide the light behind my sweatshirt sleeve so it wasn't getting picked up by the camera. 

I think there would be far better light sources for something like this next time. I did learn a lot and really didn't start getting even these pictures until my last few attempts. Next time I think will be far more successful. 


We can always keep trying. We will be happy to learn with you. I, myself is not an expert but a learner. I learn a lot in the threads here. Also, I think your attempt is way better than my first try. Keep it up! 


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 week ago #634784 by NewavaMike
Interesting.  


Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 week ago #634924 by Sara Miles
This is not a bad attempt. The roof lighting is a must here since it is night-time. Then probably try out some more angles. 


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 week ago #635029 by John Bull

Sara Miles wrote: This is not a bad attempt. The roof lighting is a must here since it is night-time. Then probably try out some more angles. 

Ya, I really missed the mark on the roof. I was aware that it wasn't showing very well while taking pictures, but even after trying to focus on it some more it really didn't capture. I think it being a black car didn't help this situation at all. LOL 

Suni Park wrote:
We can always keep trying. We will be happy to learn with you. I, myself is not an expert but a learner. I learn a lot in the threads here. Also, I think your attempt is way better than my first try. Keep it up! 

That is the best part, it is cheap to head back out there and try some more. I think a better light source would help a lot


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 week ago #635270 by Eshan Rachit
Light is everything. The first shot is a potential beauty. Work on it. Good job! 


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 6 days ago #635452 by John Bull
Thank you everyone for the comments! I'll be sure to post pics when I try it again


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 5 days ago #635706 by Kelly Emery
:thumbsup:  Nice pointers. Keep it up! 


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

802.3K

205K

1.62M

  • Facebook

    802,251 / Likes

  • Twitter

    205,000 / Followers

  • Google+

    1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Should you buy a Canon EOS RP or a Nikon Z6? In this EOS RP vs Z6 comparison, we take a look at the specs, performance, and prices of these mirrorless cameras.

May 20, 2019

In this Panasonic GH5 review, learn if this camera's features for still photography and videography are still top-of-the-class in 2019.

May 15, 2019

In this Sony a7R III vs Panasonic GH5 comparison, we take a look at the sensor, ISO performance, video capabilities, and image stabilization of these cameras, and much more.

May 10, 2019

In this Nikon D3300 review, learn about this entry-level camera's specifications, features, and performance so you can decide if it's the best beginner camera for you.

Apr 30, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The brand-new Peak Design Travel Tripod is a game-changing, innovative piece of kit that will influence how tripods are designed for years to come.

May 21, 2019

With these advanced landscape photography tips you'll learn a few techniques for taking landscape photography to the next level.

May 20, 2019

Should you buy a Canon EOS RP or a Nikon Z6? In this EOS RP vs Z6 comparison, we take a look at the specs, performance, and prices of these mirrorless cameras.

May 20, 2019

Photo by Thomas Griggs on Unsplash Easter Island only has 5,700 inhabitants, but the more than 150,000 tourists that visit the...

May 19, 2019

Searching for "photography jobs" and "places hiring near me" is not a good enough strategy for how to find photography jobs. In this article, learn where and how to find the job for you.

May 16, 2019

You're probably familiar with famous photographers like Ansel Adams, but do you know the highest paid photographers of all time? Check this list to find out.

May 16, 2019

What are the best used cameras under $100? There are plenty of choices, but the digital cameras under $100 on this list are both capable and well under budget.

May 16, 2019

There are many landscape photography myths and misconceptions that can derail your ability to get the best shots. Learn about common myths to avoid in this quick guide.

May 16, 2019