My first action shot

10 months 1 week ago #700997 by Esseff
Having the taken the decision to leave the safety and comfort of my camera's auto setting I am learning what all the mysterious buttons on my camera do. So far the results have been a bit of a mixed bag although there is definitely an improvement from one session to the next. I took my first action shot on Saturday (a train). Screwed up the ISO bigtime :( but am happy with the shutter speed. :)




Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
10 months 1 week ago #701000 by Nikon Shooter
If you felt like you had to declare that this is a train,
your SS was waaaay too fast.

Set your ISO to AUTO with a maximum of 2400.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
10 months 1 week ago #701002 by Esseff

Nikon Shooter wrote: If you felt like you had to declare that this is a train,
your SS was waaaay too fast.

Set your ISO to AUTO with a maximum of 2400.


lol I don't know if you're joking or not, the blur is intentional so I'm happy with that. :) As far as ISO goes... what situations would gain from auto ISO and when is it better to set the ISO manually?


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
10 months 1 week ago - 10 months 1 week ago #701011 by Nikon Shooter

Esseff wrote: lol I don't know if you're joking or not,


My English is not at the level where I can make jokes without the 
use of some kind of smilies.


Esseff wrote: the blur is intentional so I'm happy with that. :)


I mean how much is needed, enough, too much to convey a feeling 
of movement? I simply think that this is too much but maybe you
want to try different SS on a regular, constant movement so to ex-
lore the possibilities.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
10 months 1 week ago #701013 by Esseff

Nikon Shooter wrote: My English is not at the level where I can make jokes without the use of some kind of smilies.

No worries, mate  :cheers:

Nikon Shooter wrote: I mean how much is needed, enough, too much to convey a feeling 
of movement? I simply think that this is too much but maybe you
want to try different SS on a regular, constant movement so to ex-
lore the possibilities.

Oh, I'm definitely going back and experiment a bit more. I know there's plenty room for improvement but for a first attempt I'm pretty pleased. Any and all feedback is muchly appreciated! :)


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
10 months 1 week ago #701024 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day sf

Regarding 'auto-ISO'
By you (via the menu) setting two things .... "ISO=Auto" plus "ISO maximum = xxx" where xxx is your choice (mine is 800, NS above suggests 2400) it allows the camera to increase the ISO from 100 (ie- normal) to another number -if- the light level -or- your shutter + aperture settings need a bit more 'grunt' in difficult light levels - it is all to keep the exposure correct

In practice, I discover that my exposures (after setting either "A" Aperture mode or "S" Shutter mode for my photos, the camera does the rest - but as I examine the ISO later, I see all of 100 or 125 or 160 or 200 or 400 or 800 sort of thing, as the camera has looked after the ISO setting while I have enjoyed myself taking photos

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
10 months 1 week ago #701026 by Esseff

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: G'day sf

Regarding 'auto-ISO'
By you (via the menu) setting two things .... "ISO=Auto" plus "ISO maximum = xxx" where xxx is your choice (mine is 800, NS above suggests 2400) it allows the camera to increase the ISO from 100 (ie- normal) to another number -if- the light level -or- your shutter + aperture settings need a bit more 'grunt' in difficult light levels - it is all to keep the exposure correct

In practice, I discover that my exposures (after setting either "A" Aperture mode or "S" Shutter mode for my photos, the camera does the rest - but as I examine the ISO later, I see all of 100 or 125 or 160 or 200 or 400 or 800 sort of thing, as the camera has looked after the ISO setting while I have enjoyed myself taking photos

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Cheers mate. I will be going back there this coming Saturday and take detailed notes of eveything setting I use. NS's advice let me realise I can use mixed settings i.e. auto and manual settings; pretty much what you're suggesting too.


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
10 months 1 week ago #701085 by Nikon Shooter
My start up settings for all my bodies and situations
include Auto WB and ISO.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
10 months 1 week ago #701100 by Rohan Tushar

Nikon Shooter wrote: If you felt like you had to declare that this is a train,
your SS was waaaay too fast.

Set your ISO to AUTO with a maximum of 2400.


+1 


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
10 months 6 days ago #702044 by Eshan Rachit
I can barely see th train, but this is a good try. Keep it up! 


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
10 months 5 days ago #702130 by Esseff
Thanks. I'll have to go back and keep trying.


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
9 months 4 weeks ago #703134 by Sarit Kevesh
:thumbsup:


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
9 months 4 weeks ago #703149 by Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter wrote: If you felt like you had to declare that this is a train,
your SS was waaaay too fast.


Correction

I meant the train is too fast or the SS too slow!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
9 months 4 weeks ago #703154 by Scotty

Esseff wrote: Having the taken the decision to leave the safety and comfort of my camera's auto setting I am learning what all the mysterious buttons on my camera do. So far the results have been a bit of a mixed bag although there is definitely an improvement from one session to the next. I took my first action shot on Saturday (a train). Screwed up the ISO bigtime :( but am happy with the shutter speed. :)



Where do you think you failed? What was your goal? 

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
9 months 4 weeks ago - 9 months 4 weeks ago #703181 by Esseff

Scotty wrote: Where do you think you failed?


This was almost white cause I forgot to set the ISO and I had to pp it a ton.

Scotty wrote: What was your goal? 


I wanted to get a peaceful old town with modernity tearing through it.


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,

817.3K

241K

  • Facebook

    817,251 / Likes

  • Twitter

    241,000 / Followers

  • Google+

    1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 II is now six years old, but despite that, it still has many capabilities and features that make it a good option for today's beginner and enthusiast photographers.

Sep 17, 2021

The Nikon Z50 is a high-quality and affordable camera. Learn about the Nikon Z50 pros, cons, specs, and pricing in this quick guide.

Sep 16, 2021

The Canon PowerShot G5 X II isn't a professional camera by any means, but if you're looking for a small, capable, compact camera, this might be the one for you.

Sep 02, 2021

If you think a nearly decade-old camera can't still hack it, you're wrong. Though it isn't perfect, the Fujifilm X-E2 is still a solid camera.

Sep 02, 2021
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

If you aren't sure what the difference between photo restoration and photo retouching is, check out this quick explainer guideline.

Sep 20, 2021

With these accessories for micro four-thirds cameras, you'll be able to improve your workflow and expand the functionality of your camera.

Sep 17, 2021

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 II is now six years old, but despite that, it still has many capabilities and features that make it a good option for today's beginner and enthusiast photographers.

Sep 17, 2021

One of the most common ways of upselling clients is to offer prints. But how to get your clients to buy more prints can be a mystery. Here's how.

Sep 16, 2021

The Nikon Z50 is a high-quality and affordable camera. Learn about the Nikon Z50 pros, cons, specs, and pricing in this quick guide.

Sep 16, 2021

With these wedding photography accessories, you'll not only look good, but you'll also have gear that helps improve your workflow.

Sep 16, 2021

There are many benefits of buying used lenses, not the least of which is that you can save some money. Check out this guide for even more reasons to buy used.

Sep 15, 2021

Understanding what to charge for commercial real estate photography services is paramount to your success - now and in the future.

Sep 14, 2021