My first action shot

3 years 5 months ago #700997 by Esseff
Having the taken the decision to leave the safety and comfort of my camera's auto setting I am learning what all the mysterious buttons on my camera do. So far the results have been a bit of a mixed bag although there is definitely an improvement from one session to the next. I took my first action shot on Saturday (a train). Screwed up the ISO bigtime :( but am happy with the shutter speed. :)

Attachments:
3 years 5 months ago #701000 by Nikon Shooter
If you felt like you had to declare that this is a train,
your SS was waaaay too fast.

Set your ISO to AUTO with a maximum of 2400.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #701002 by Esseff

Nikon Shooter wrote: If you felt like you had to declare that this is a train,

lol I don't know if you're joking or not, the blur is intentional so I'm happy with that. :) As far as ISO goes... what situations would gain from auto ISO and when is it better to set the ISO manually?

3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #701011 by Nikon Shooter

Esseff wrote: lol I don't know if you're joking or not,

My English is not at the level where I can make jokes without the 
use of some kind of smilies.

Esseff wrote: the blur is intentional so I'm happy with that. :)

I mean how much is needed, enough, too much to convey a feeling 
of movement? I simply think that this is too much but maybe you
want to try different SS on a regular, constant movement so to ex-
lore the possibilities.

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #701013 by Esseff

Nikon Shooter wrote: My English is not at the level where I can make jokes without the use of some kind of smilies.

No worries, mate  :cheers:

Nikon Shooter wrote: I mean how much is needed, enough, too much to convey a feeling 
of movement? I simply think that this is too much but maybe you
want to try different SS on a regular, constant movement so to ex-
lore the possibilities.

Oh, I'm definitely going back and experiment a bit more. I know there's plenty room for improvement but for a first attempt I'm pretty pleased. Any and all feedback is muchly appreciated! :)

3 years 5 months ago #701024 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day sf

Regarding 'auto-ISO'
By you (via the menu) setting two things .... "ISO=Auto" plus "ISO maximum = xxx" where xxx is your choice (mine is 800, NS above suggests 2400) it allows the camera to increase the ISO from 100 (ie- normal) to another number -if- the light level -or- your shutter + aperture settings need a bit more 'grunt' in difficult light levels - it is all to keep the exposure correct

In practice, I discover that my exposures (after setting either "A" Aperture mode or "S" Shutter mode for my photos, the camera does the rest - but as I examine the ISO later, I see all of 100 or 125 or 160 or 200 or 400 or 800 sort of thing, as the camera has looked after the ISO setting while I have enjoyed myself taking photos

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 years 5 months ago #701026 by Esseff

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: G'day sf

Regarding 'auto-ISO'
By you (via the menu) setting two things .... "ISO=Auto" plus "ISO maximum = xxx" where xxx is your choice (mine is 800, NS above suggests 2400) it allows the camera to increase the ISO from 100 (ie- normal) to another number -if- the light level -or- your shutter + aperture settings need a bit more 'grunt' in difficult light levels - it is all to keep the exposure correct

In practice, I discover that my exposures (after setting either "A" Aperture mode or "S" Shutter mode for my photos, the camera does the rest - but as I examine the ISO later, I see all of 100 or 125 or 160 or 200 or 400 or 800 sort of thing, as the camera has looked after the ISO setting while I have enjoyed myself taking photos

Hope this helps

Cheers mate. I will be going back there this coming Saturday and take detailed notes of eveything setting I use. NS's advice let me realise I can use mixed settings i.e. auto and manual settings; pretty much what you're suggesting too.

3 years 5 months ago #701085 by Nikon Shooter
My start up settings for all my bodies and situations
include Auto WB and ISO.

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #701100 by Rohan Tushar

+1 

3 years 5 months ago #702044 by Eshan Rachit
I can barely see th train, but this is a good try. Keep it up! 

3 years 5 months ago #702130 by Esseff
Thanks. I'll have to go back and keep trying.

3 years 4 months ago #703134 by Sarit Kevesh
:thumbsup:

3 years 4 months ago #703149 by Nikon Shooter

Correction

I meant the train is too fast or the SS too slow!

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #703154 by Scotty

Esseff wrote: Having the taken the decision to leave the safety and comfort of my camera's auto setting I am learning what all the mysterious buttons on my camera do. So far the results have been a bit of a mixed bag although there is definitely an improvement from one session to the next. I took my first action shot on Saturday (a train). Screwed up the ISO bigtime :( but am happy with the shutter speed. :)

Where do you think you failed? What was your goal? 

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #703181 by Esseff

Scotty wrote: Where do you think you failed?

This was almost white cause I forgot to set the ISO and I had to pp it a ton.

Scotty wrote: What was your goal? 

I wanted to get a peaceful old town with modernity tearing through it.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024