Seeking film camera settings for action photography

8 months 3 weeks ago #706504 by [email protected]
I have a Canon AE-1 Program and I plan on going California to spend some time with some friends who all skateboard. I have never shot skateboarding too well and I was hoping I could get some advice on camera settings and technique. My camera has program mode, would this be acceptable to use for skateboard photography? If not, what should i set my ISO, aperature, shutter speed to when shooting sunny California skateboarding?

Thank you! 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 months 3 weeks ago #706507 by Shadowfixer1
First off, you didn't say what film or film speed your using. Secondly, you haven't told us the lens you are going to use and its maximum aperture. Generally you need to use the fastest shutter speed you can use that provides you with enough DOF. That is if you want to freeze the motion. You can always slow the shutter speed down and pan with the subject as it moves to create a blurred background and depending on how good you are, a decent amount of sharpness in the subject. That's about all anyone can tell you since you didn't give parameters. Lastly, I probably would not use Program mode.

8 months 3 weeks ago #706538 by [email protected]
Hey thank you for the reply.

I will be shooting Ilford 400 HP5 Black and White on a Canon Zoom Lens Fd 35-70mm 1:3.5-4.5

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Are used cameras worth it? Though there are some risks, there are many more benefits of buying used cameras. Learn why you should shop used in this guide!

Sep 20, 2021

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 II is now six years old, but despite that, it still has many capabilities and features that make it a good option for today's beginner and enthusiast photographers.

Sep 17, 2021

The Nikon Z50 is a high-quality and affordable camera. Learn about the Nikon Z50 pros, cons, specs, and pricing in this quick guide.

Sep 16, 2021

The Canon PowerShot G5 X II isn't a professional camera by any means, but if you're looking for a small, capable, compact camera, this might be the one for you.

Sep 02, 2021

Latest Articles

When buying a metal print, there are tons of options to think about. In this metal print buyer's guide, learn what to look for in a metal print.

Sep 22, 2021

Use these commercial real estate photography tips to create compelling images that accurately and artfully portray commercial spaces.

Sep 22, 2021

In the latest installment of our holiday gift guides, we present some great gifts for photographers that are all priced at $25 or less.

Sep 22, 2021

What kind of monitor should you have for video work? There's a great debate between on-camera vs field monitors - let's see which is best for you.

Sep 21, 2021

Are used cameras worth it? Though there are some risks, there are many more benefits of buying used cameras. Learn why you should shop used in this guide!

Sep 20, 2021

If you aren't sure what the difference between photo restoration and photo retouching is, check out this quick explainer guideline.

Sep 20, 2021

With these accessories for micro four-thirds cameras, you'll be able to improve your workflow and expand the functionality of your camera.

Sep 17, 2021

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 II is now six years old, but despite that, it still has many capabilities and features that make it a good option for today's beginner and enthusiast photographers.

Sep 17, 2021